Thread: Self / Matt Mahaffey

Self / Matt Mahaffey

Perusing the intelligent pop thread, it occurred to me that I don't think I've ever heard anyone on this forum mention Self. Matt Mahaffey and his brother Mike (before his tragic death) put together some mind-blowing, very progressive music during the 90s. Is anybody else a fan?

Open post....insert foot. mpoll's Avatar
    I think "Subliminal Plastic Motives" is one of my guilty-pleasure pop albums (crap, did I just admit that?). I used to crank this with the kids in the car (which probably explains the way they've turned out - intelligent, accomplished, but a bit weird). I've heard "Breakfast With Girls" much less often - I'll have to break it out again (crap, did I just admit I own that too?). Not familiar with the third album, but it certainly sounds promisingly similar.

OK, OK.......I'm not 100% Progressive. Hopefully not cause to turn in my PE Badge.

Thanks for posting these!
    "Be Well... Prog On!"

"The Progressive Tracks Show" on KPTZ 91.9 FM / KPTZ.org - Sundays at 5:00 AM and Mondays at 9:00 PM (Pacific Times)
    also on Progzilla Radio / Progzilla.com in the UK - Saturdays at 6:30 PM and Mondays at 2:30 PM (Pacific Times)

Jefferson James
    Wacky coincidence -- just listened to "Subliminal Plastic Motives" over the weekend; I dig the album in bits and pieces but listening to it as a whole kind of tires me out, it's relentless. Some seriously great stuff, I wonder what Matt is up to these days?

Matt has done a bunch of music for Disney films and projects, pretty sure he still does. "Subliminal" remains my favorite of his albums, there are things I haven't heard of his though. He's taken to doing live performances again semi-recently, which is a rare occurrence. Brilliant guy.