Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saw Don Rickles Over The Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think it is inspiring just to see someone of Don’s advanced age just out there doing it.
    Well, then, you should see jazz drummer Roy Haynes. He doesn't have the stamina he used to, so leaves most of the soloing to his younger band mates, but he's 89 and puts most folks in their 60s to shame...seriously....

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I used to love Don Rickles on those celebrity roasts when I was a kid...though I always thought Dean Martin was a major prick especially after the way he treated the Rolling Stones when they appeared on his talk show in the mid 60's
    Well, Dino had a serious problem with the bottle, and it made him the least talented and least tolerable of the rat pack. I was never a big Sammy Davis Jr fan, but I often found Martin to be truly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Joan Rivers isn't as old as Rickles. Plus, I think all that hideous plastic surgery has preserved her a bit. What a freak!
    Indeed. I've always had a sneaking suspicion (unsupported, of course) that if there are/were any potential life-extending treatments/surgeries available for human testing she'd be at the front of the line

I think Rivers is still in her 70's. Rickles remainin peers are pretty much Betty White and Bob Newhart, at least as far as those still performing.
    She's 80.

Just grabbed this one radomly, but they are all funny.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I think Rivers is still in her 70's. Rickles remainin peers are pretty much Betty White and Bob Newhart, at least as far as those still performing.
    Well, Newhart is a bit younger (84) but White is considerably older (92).

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Weak reply, very weak. A person's background is totally a subject for humor, whether it's their race, nationality, religion, whatever. Unless of course someone suffers from a pigment problem known as thin skin. Of course you still seem hung up on the race thing, yet ethnic refers to many things. Guess in your world you can't make Italian, Irish or Polish jokes for fear of offending someone. Come on, there are a million Irish jokes usually referencing alcohol, and should that really be insulting to someone who's Irish? If they are insulted, it just means they lack a sense of humor.
    Actually, it's a question of degree. My wife is Irish and can take it as well (or better) than most; but we've encountered folks who just keep nailing it, nailing it, nailing it, and at a certain point it stops being funny and starts being questionable racism.

I agree that we should all be able to take it - but to a point. There is definitely a fine line between humor and flat-out insult, and the good guys manage to squeak by on the right side of it (like Chris Rock), while others absolutely do not. So it does not necessarily mean they lack a sense of humor; it really does depend on just how far and how much the person throwing the "jokes" is going....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think the last time I saw a comedian it was Brian Regan. He was almost too clean. I once saw Ray Romano do a bit about jerking off in the shower without swearing once and I laughed my ass off.

Of course my gold standard was Pryor. That first movie of him doing standup was just relentless. I remember the first time I saw that my face actually hurt afterwards from laughing so hard.

I lucked out and got this box when it was erroneously priced at $16 at amazon.ca. Seven CDs and 2 DVDs with pretty much every album and live concert film Pryor ever did, even at $48 (through amazon.ca marketplace), it's still a heckuva bargain for Pryor fans.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Well, Newhart is a bit younger (84) but White is considerably older (92).
    Rickles told some stories of adventures with himself and Newhart. Sounds like they were (and still are) very good friends.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

In case you haven't seen this a dozen times already.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I can't say that I could judge what is or isn't offensive or who should or shouldn't be offended, just because, as a normal person, those kinds of jokes are never about me.

What's interesting in that Carson clip is how he tells a couple of Rickles-type jokes (like at the 4:30 type about the cotton plantation), yet they don't seem to be as funny. Now, that's partly because he's not targeting everyone else, just the one black guy. But, it also goes to show that you can expect certain humor from certain people and, understanding that it's part of their schtick, you're more inclined to accept it. Nobody but Rickles could get away with that routine of his today.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I can't say that I could judge what is or isn't offensive or who should or shouldn't be offended, just because, as a normal person, those kinds of jokes are never about me.
    Very clever

But there is no such thing as normal. Mundane, average, everyday, common yes. But not normal. Unless you really mean that everyone else is abnormal, that jokes are only told about abnormal people, and I doubt that

Jokes often rely on recognition, stereotypes, everyday common features i.e. "normal" stuff

George Carlin made a career out of mocking normality.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Like I said earlier, the only way I find ethnic jokes, or humor (humour) that might be considered in bad taste about a person's disabilities is when the person delivering the jokes is someone you don't know or trust very well. You really don't know what their intensions are. I've seen too many instances in life where someone says ....lighten up dude, I was joking.... Okay no problem, but I met you 5 minutes ago, and your drunk too, so don't tell me to lighten up.....asshole... Now, amongst your friends that's okay. Make fun of everything because we all know it's just humor.

Recently, at work I was kind of poking fun at one of my customers because of his fummy way of walking. I was mimicking his walk with my co-workers. Then one of the co-workers told me that the guy has some disability. It wasn't obvious to me that the guy had some sickness or disability but after the co-worker pointed that out I immediately felt ashamed of myself. At least I have shame, and I'll never make fun of that guy again. It was in bad taste.

Fummy?

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Just got back from the Brian Regan show and my gut and cheeks hurt from laughing so much. I've heard him before and liked his material, but this is one comedian that needs to be seen as his visuals are def part of his overall act. I have never laughed so hard or so long in my life. And I think he said "hell"...once. Lmao! Just brilliant.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."