Thread: David Sancious going into the R&R Hall of Fame

David Sancious going into the R&R Hall of Fame

Lost amidst the KISS discussion is that Mr. Sancious is getting in this year as a member of the E Street Band. While he probably would not have gotten in without his E Street Band credentials, I am happy that someone of his musical caliber and contribution is getting in.

The E Street Band - there have been no fewer than 12 discrete, if overlapping, E Street Bands - was not without it's own induction controversy. An outcry for drummer Ernest Carter's inclusion has been heard, among others.

These are 2 pretty interesting articles that cover some of the non-KISS HOF induction issues this year - including original Nirvana drummer Chad Channing who was told that he made the induction cut only to be told later...Oops!:

http://www.northjersey.com/arts-and-...rsday-1.842483

http://www.app.com/article/20140406/...ever-Born-Run-

Great news! That was the only Bruce album I had some interest in. David is so talented.

Good news. I saw Springsteen in the Philly area a couple of times in 1973 and as much as I was knocked out by the entire performance I saw and heard that David was the prime musician in the band. Saw David again with his own band, Tone, in 1975. I wasn't into fusion much at the time, but again his musicianship and talent were superb. First and only time I've ever seen someone play an electric sitar.

Glad to see Vini "Mad Dog" Lopez is included, too. He always looked like he was having the most fun playing in the band.
    Last edited by Lopez; 04-07-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Good news....not a BS fan but am familiar with his work with Jon Anderson!!!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are those first two Sancious albums prog fusion or prog rock? If prog rock, what kind of prog rock?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are those first two Sancious albums prog fusion or prog rock? If prog rock, what kind of prog rock?
    I always called it progressive jazz-rock, in the same region as (Bill) Bruford, some Brand X and some Happy The Man. Sancious himself tells the following in the liner-notes of Forest Of Feelings:

"(...) I wasn't trying to be hip or too clever about it all. It was just the way things came out; things that I liked from classical music, jazz, rock 'n' roll. The music really came through me. I was surprised when certain melodies would come out and it would lead into some other thing that was totally different. We were using like a baroque harmony with a rock 'n' roll rhythm. I suppose other bands were doing things like that; Yes were doing very interesting things, Genesis also and of course, Mahavishnu as well. (...) I wasn't trying to fit into a jazz-rock scene or to be considered a "jazz-player". Maybe I was just too naive to understand but I used to do things like that. Somebody looking to hear a jazz album would be disappointed to hear something like "Promise Of Light", a real sweet classically based melody like that in the context of what they thought was going to be or purporting to be a "jazz"-album. I didn't care. (...)"

To me the first one Forest of Feelings has everything thrown into the mix, jazz, prog, funk, rock, classical, fusion and Transformation the speed of love is more cohesive with fusion. transformation seems to be the one most people pick as his best. I feel the same, it's the one that really shines.

Not really new news as the induction ceremony was back in the spring, but Sancious was there and played with the band at the show. I watched it on HBO and it was pretty cool seeing all of those e-street guys and gals together on one stage.

I consider them fusion.

"Just as I Thought" is much more of a prog-fusion album. Especially "Suite (For The End Of An Age)".

His unreleased album, "Dance of the Age of Enlightenment" is also prog-fusion.

All 4 of these are amazing albums!
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Sky church hymn no. 9 is I believe his homage to Jimi Hendrix which showcases his talent as a guitarist.

Sid Smith tells me , a very nice guy too. I know my Mark really likes these albums as well.