Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog trivia

Here's one I've never heard. Watching last night's That Metal Show, Yngwie says he was more influenced by Tony Banks than by Ritchie Blackmore. He's never wanted to give Blackmore his dap so that's not surprising to hear and I do get, a little, where he's coming from, but I do believe he's in denial when it comes to Blackmore.

Never thought I'd connect Genesis with Yngwie, but there ya go, another usless bit of information.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Here's one I've never heard. Watching last night's That Metal Show, Yngwie says he was more influenced by Tony Banks than by Ritchie Blackmore. He's never wanted to give Blackmore his dap so that's not surprising to hear and I do get, a little, where he's coming from, but I do believe he's in denial when it comes to Blackmore.

Years ago, one of the guitar magazines pointed all the similarities between Yngwie and Ritchie. They started with side by side pictures of both of them playing, showing they preferred Strats with scalloped fingerboards and with the middle pickup lowered. They both even had the "curly cue" of string around each of the machine head posts. Then they pointed out that both of them worked with Graham Bonnett and Joe Lynn Turner, and noted all the stylistic similarities, and were associated with bands with unstable lineups. They finally concluded that Yngwie may in fact be a clone.

When Yngwie got a chance to do a covers album in the mid 90's, like half the songs were Deep Purple and Rainbow tunes.

It's a little known prog fact that Tony Levin has played on every album ever recorded by anyone. And he's the Highlander. Clearly, he hasn't aged at all in the past 30 years. There can be only one.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    He first worked with Laurie on her album Mister Heartbreak (that's Ade doing one of his patented "Black & Decker" solos in the beginning of Sharkey's Day).
    They also both appear on Jean-Michel Jarre's Zoolook album which was recorded during 1982-1984.

Belew played on a lot of sessions in the early 80's. He played on the Talking Heads album Remain In Light (probably the Eno connection, as he had met Eno while working with Bowie), then went on tour with them, as commemorated on the live album The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads. He also played on a couple songs on one of Herbie Hancock's albums during that era. And that's him playing the flanged quasi-steel pans guitar riff on Genius Of Love by Tom Tom Club.

He first worked with Laurie on her album Mister Heartbreak (that's Ade doing one of his patented "Black & Decker" solos in the beginning of Sharkey's Day).

The live album Home Of The Brave also had an accompanying concert film, in which you can see Adrian doing his thing on a number of songs.
    Oh ya, I remember seeing that film once...the song "Smoke Rings" where Laurie plays the Mexican game show host and the backup singers are the 3 contestants is hilarious
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

According to the book by Mr. Nice ( the worlds biggest marijuana smugller), quantities of hash were smuggled to the USA using Pink Floyds huge live show speaker cabinets.
    Also from the same book, it appears the abovementioned Nice managed to fool the cops by using an elaborate phone switching system that made him untraceable and was quite revolutionary for the time,
    Whats more interesting is that this gadget was built for him by none other than the Soft Machine`s Mike Rateladge!

"Lessons" from the 2112 album is the only Rush song with lyrics by Alex Lifeson.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    "Lessons" from the 2112 album is the only Rush song with lyrics by Alex Lifeson.
    He wrote one of the verses in "Chemistry" from Signals.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    It's a little known prog fact that Tony Levin has played on every album ever recorded by anyone. And he's the Highlander. Clearly, he hasn't aged at all in the past 30 years. There can be only one.
    Tony, as a teenager, also played in a youth orchestra that performed before President Kennedy. An LP exists, though I think they just printed up copies for the members of the orchestra, but somehow, my friend Charlie owns a copy.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    It's a little known prog fact that Tony Levin has played on every album ever recorded by anyone. And he's the Highlander. Clearly, he hasn't aged at all in the past 30 years.
    His mustache got darker.

Robert Fripp played on an album by New Wave artist The Flying Lizards
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I think you are in the hard need of a coke sniff...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Thought that Emerson played on Honky Chateau- turns out Ponty and David Hentschel (on ARP) played; no KE. Keith, when he played on the Rod Stewart Album, even got his picture in the cover.

Alan White made a cameo appearance during the ending scene of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band film.. (along with every other Hollywood star)..

Suspended
    In a bizarre connection, John Lydon was stepfather to Ari Up of The Slits, while her godfather was one Jon Anderson.

I played keyboards on a Bayer radio ad produced by Zack Smith (guitarist of Scandal). Me and Zack didn't really like each other. True story.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Alan White made a cameo appearance during the ending scene of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band film.. (along with every other Hollywood star)..
    Wait...Alan White is a "Hollywood star"?! Wow, I didn't know that.

At least Alan White being there makes sense, as he was in The Plastic Ono Band, so his presence kinda tied the thing to The Beatles, in a somewhat tangential fashion. But what the frell were Peter Allen and Carol Channing doing in that chorus?! I mean, really! WTF?!

I think I read that Fripp once had a cat... or no, I'm not quite sure, I could be wrong.

Wait...Alan White is a "Hollywood star"?! Wow, I didn't know that.

At least Alan White being there makes sense, as he was in The Plastic Ono Band, so his presence kinda tied the thing to The Beatles, in a somewhat tangential fashion. But what the frell were Peter Allen and Carol Channing doing in that chorus?! I mean, really! WTF?!
    Go figure... I once saw a list of all the cameos during that last scene with Beatle connections...
    Guests with Beatles connections

* Peter Allen, Australian singer, Academy award-winning songwriter and entertainer
    * Keith Allison, member of Paul Revere and the Raiders.
    * George Benson, jazz guitarist, R&B musician; he recorded The Other Side of Abbey Road, with his versions of the Beatles songs in 1969.
    * Keith Carradine
    * Carol Channing
    * Charlotte Crossley, Sharon Redd and Ula Hedwig, (the Harlettes, Bette Midler's back-up singers).
    * Jim "Dandy" Mangrum, vocalist of southern rock band Black Oak Arkansas.
    * Sarah Dash, member of Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles and LaBelle.
    * Rick Derringer, guitarist, member of the McCoys ("Hang on Sloopy"), Steely Dan and The Edgar Winter Group.
    * Barbara Dickson, RSO Records recording artist, cast member of John, Paul, George, Ringo....and Bert, a musical co-produced by Robert Stigwood.
    * Donovan, British recording artist, and Beatles friend.
    * Randy Edelman, film and tv score composer
    * Yvonne Elliman, who had a hit with the Bee Gees "If I Can't Have You" from Saturday Night Fever (1977)
    * José Feliciano, Puerto Rican singer and guitarist
    * Leif Garrett, teen idol
    * Adrian Gurvitz, English singer/songwriter
    * Billy Harper, jazz saxophonist
    * Eddie Harris, jazz saxophonist
    * Heart, American rock band featuring sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson
    * Nona Hendryx, member of Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles and LaBelle.
    * Barry Humphries, Australian comedian, appears as his alter ego Dame Edna Everage.
    * Etta James, American blues, R&B, and gospel singer.
    * Dr. John an American singer/songwriter
    * Bruce Johnston, member of the Beach Boys
    * Big Bad Adam, cameraman
    * BJ Malcolm, bird enthusiast/wallpaper
    * Joe Lala, percussionist
    * D.C. LaRue, disco musician
    * Jo Leb
    * Marcella Detroit,(as Marcy Levy), musician, singer, songwriter who, at the time had worked with Bob Seger and Bruce Springsteen.
    * Mark Lindsay, lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raiders
    * Nils Lofgren, member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.
    * Jackie Lomax, guitarist, singer/songwriter, friend of George Harrison
    * John Mayall, English blues singer and songwriter
    * Curtis Mayfield, American soul, funk and R&B singer, songwriter and guitarist
    * "Cousin Brucie" Morrow, an American radio personality
    * Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits
    * Alan O'Day, American singer-songwriter, "Undercover Angel"
    * Lee Oskar, founder, with Eric Burdon, of War
    * The Paley Brothers (Andy and Jonathan Paley)
    * Robert Palmer
    * Wilson Pickett
    * Anita Pointer of The Pointer Sisters
    * Bonnie Raitt
    * Helen Reddy, Australian singer and actress. In 1976, Reddy covered the Beatles song "The Fool on the Hill" for the musical documentary All This and World War II.
    * Minnie Riperton, American soul singer
    * Chita Rivera, Broadway actress, singer and dancer.
    * Johnny Rivers, American rock and roll singer, songwriter, guitarist and producer.
    * Monti Rock III, had a cameo in Saturday Night Fever and a disco hit "Get Dancin'"
    * Danielle Rowe
    * Sha-Na-Na, appeared in both the Broadway musical and the film Grease, and the Grease soundtrack, on RSO Records, performed at Woodstock.
    * Del Shannon, American rock and roll artist
    * Joe Simon, American soul and R&B artist
    * Jim Seals and Dash Crofts
    * Connie Stevens, actress
    * John Stewart, American folk singer, member of The Kingston Trio, RSO recording artist
    * Tina Turner, American R&B/rock singer, covered the Beatles song "Come Together" for the musical documentary All This and World War II.
    * Frankie Valli, singer, founding member of the The Four Seasons rock and roll group.
    * Gwen Verdon, broadway and film actress and dancer, had appeared in the musical "Dancin'"
    * Diane Vincent
    * Eric Voge,Actor,Producer,Friend of Peter Frampton and Ringo Starr
    * Grover Washington, Jr., jazz-funk musician
    * Hank Williams, Jr., country, southern rock and blues musician
    * Johnny Winter, American blues singer and guitarist, performed at Woodstock
    * Wolfman Jack
    * Bobby Womack, R&B and soul singer and songwriter
    * Alan White, drummer for Yes, also played on recordings with John Lennon and George Harrison.
    * Lenny White, jazz/funk drummer
    * Gary Wright, "Dream Weaver", friend of George Harrison

The first second or two of XTC's Me And The Wind and Art Bears' Force are quite similar.
    Sort of.

British actor/comedian Julian Clary was a miming member of Rupert Hine's Thinkman.
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    The first second or two of XTC's Me And The Wind and Art Bears' Force are quite similar.
    Sort of.
    Dave Gregory played on Gabriel 3 and with Big Big Train
    Colin Moulding sang a song on the last Days Between Stations album

Rick Wakeman's supposed first solo album was "Piano Vibrations." I have a copy of a copy of it and it's might cheesy with covers of popular tunes of the day (1970 of so).
    Roy Wood plays sax on the Beach Boys' "15 Big Ones" LP.
    Roy Wood and Carl Wayne sing backup on Hendrix' "Electric Ladyland" LP.
    Everyone knows Randy California (then Randy Wolfe) played with Hendrix in the summer of 1966 at NY's Club Wah!, but fewer know that Jimi's drummer at that time was Danny Taylor later of Silver Apples.
    And, in a nod to the Geezer with his Royal Teens/Al Kooper fact, the piano player of said Royal Teens was Bob Gaudio, later of the Four Seasons.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Rick Wakeman played on a Black Sabbath record. I bet none of you knew that.
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

DtB

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just after the Lamb Tour ended, the band members, including Gabriel, found themselves in a recording studio for an afternoon, because they were listening to some of Hackett's early Voyage of the Acolyte demos. They decided to lay down one track that Collins, Banks, and Hackett had been working on, and Gabriel had cobbled together some lyrics for. It was an 8-minute number, encouraging enough that they talked about continuing with it, but as they knew there was no backing out of leaving for Gabriel, the tape was left at the studio. The studio engineer copied it to a cassette and recorded over the tape reel. I ended up becoming friends with the engineer one summer in college, and he gave me the cassette when I told him I was a huge Genesis fan - he said he'd never made another copy. But I just tossed it in the back of my sock drawer, and it's been sitting there ever since, never listened to.

Suspended
    Why do people have signatures that seem to be directing vitriol at some other person on the forum? What purpose does it serve? Having public shitfights on the forum is bad enough, but what's the point of just hurling insults into the ether?