Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog trivia

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Dave Stewart also played on a Nazareth album.
    Which Dave Stewart?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Which Dave Stewart?
    Not the pitcher.

sorry,

I dont play baseball..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A "factoid" is supposed to mean something that resembles, but is not in fact a fact, but everyone uses the term as though it means a a trivial fact.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/-oid
    Sort of.

Norman Mailer invented the term in reference to things that aren't facts at all, but which tended to be accepted as such by the public, because they appeared in publications.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factoid

Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    ...and all in all too, Jean-Luc Ponty played in Honky Chateau Elton john's Record. ok....
    Ponty also plays on the Billy Joel song "Downeaster Alexa"

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Sort of.

Norman Mailer invented the term in reference to things that aren't facts at all, but which tended to be accepted as such by the public, because they appeared in publications.
    Except for the Norman Mailer part, not really different from what I wrote. I used to get Norman Mailer and Norman Lear mixed up. Norman Lear was the guy behind The Jeffersons. Sherman Hemsley was a big prog fan.

Suspended
    Which Dave Stewart?
    The one who played on a Nazareth album.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Sort of.

I accept that I may have used the term "factoid" incorrectly. I picked it up from Alice Cooper's show. Alice Cooper is probably not the gold standard for correct and precise definitions of words.

I love some of these trivia! Please keep them coming. Especially the one about Al Kooper and short shorts. I also did not know until recently that the song was written by the young Bob Gaudio, later of The Four Seasons.

I'm not saying you were using 'factoid' incorrectly; I was just pointing out something trivial.

I have a few...

1) Roger Powell of Utopia played keyboards in David Bowie's band on the Heroes tour in '78 (along with Adrian Belew on guitar). Bowie played a Chamberlain keyboard onstage.

2) Godfrey Salmon played cello on the prog-orchestral-experimental band "Esperanto" 1974 album "Danse Macabre". 3 years later Salmon conducted the orchestra on the 1977 ELP Works tour (until of course the band dumped the orchestra during the tour because they were going broke!).

3) Adrian Belew played guitar on Laurie Anderson's live 1986 tour that yielded the album "Home of the Brave".

4) Fripp's 1st live performances after suspending Crimso in 1974 was the 1st Peter Gabriel tour in 1977. Fripp played hidden behind a curtain and was introduced to the audience under the name "Dusty Rhodes".
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

David Gilmour has with many people including Macca on several occasions. He has played on records in the prog / rock field but he too also played guitar on Elton John's The One album for a track. Oddly, he also appeared on a Peter Cetera album back in the 80's. I was working in an auto parts store when I heard his unmistakeable guitar. Was completely taken by surprise as I never would have put them together. Does anyone know how that happened?

Suspended
    One of my favourite music trivia - though not prog related:

The Band The Escape Club hold the unusual distinction of being the only British act to score a No. 1 hit in the U.S. (Wild Wild West) while never charting at all in the U.K.

The Enid played most of the music on Kim Wildes Debut album

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    David Gilmour has with many people including Macca on several occasions. He has played on records in the prog / rock field but he too also played guitar on Elton John's The One album for a track. Oddly, he also appeared on a Peter Cetera album back in the 80's. I was working in an auto parts store when I heard his unmistakeable guitar. Was completely taken by surprise as I never would have put them together. Does anyone know how that happened?
    He also plays the guitar solos on Supertramp's Brother Where You Bound (from the album of the same name)
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Which Dave Stewart?
    The Egg, Hatfield and the North Dave Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Except for the Norman Mailer part, not really different from what I wrote. I used to get Norman Mailer and Norman Lear mixed up. Norman Lear was the guy behind The Jeffersons. Sherman Hemsley was a big prog fan.
    Actually, Eric Monte was "the guy behind" The Jeffersons. He's the guy who actually wrote the episode of All In The Family where George and Louise Jefferson were first introduced. He allegedly was also the guy who suggested Redd Foxx for the lead character on Sanford And Son.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post

3) Adrian Belew played guitar on Laurie Anderson's live 1986 tour that yielded the album "Home of the Brave".
    Belew played on a lot of sessions in the early 80's. He played on the Talking Heads album Remain In Light (probably the Eno connection, as he had met Eno while working with Bowie), then went on tour with them, as commemorated on the live album The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads. He also played on a couple songs on one of Herbie Hancock's albums during that era. And that's him playing the flanged quasi-steel pans guitar riff on Genius Of Love by Tom Tom Club.

He first worked with Laurie on her album Mister Heartbreak (that's Ade doing one of his patented "Black & Decker" solos in the beginning of Sharkey's Day).

The live album Home Of The Brave also had an accompanying concert film, in which you can see Adrian doing his thing on a number of songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Probably Cetera or his producer said "We need a David Gilmour style guitar solo", and since Dave, during the 70's and 80's, did a lot of sessions for other people, he was apparently easy enough to get ahold of. I wouldn't be surprised to find out if they simply sent the master tape to Gilmour, told him where the solo was supposed to go, he did the overdub at his studio, then overnighted the tape back to the Cetera camp.

Gilmour can also be heard on one song on the third Berlin album, he played on some of Bryan Ferry's 80's era solo stuff (he also played with Ferry at Live Aid, during which one of his Strats failed and he had to swap guitars not just mid-song, but mid-solo, even!), he also worked with Kate Bush (you can see him in the Love & Anger video, and yeah, Dave famously "discovered" Kate), Roy Harper, Warren Zevon, Liona Boyd (!), Arcadia (yes, the Duran Duran spin off), Kirsty MacColl, Grace Jones (!!), and a truckload of others. He produced one of the Dream Academy albums, also the albums by a band called Unicorn, Syd Barrett's two solo albums,

^ I have the Liona Boyd album. Pretty good stuff on there.

I also have the first 2 Unicorn albums. One of them has the track "No way out of here" which Gilmour re-does & puts on one of his solo albums. I would not have even noticed Unicorn if I hadn't see an advert in Melody Maker magazine which, in very large type, mentioned Gilmour as the producer.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Add the live in studio version of The Pretty Thing's S.F. Sorrow to Gilmour's list of guest appearances.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Probably Cetera or his producer said "We need a David Gilmour style guitar solo", and since Dave, during the 70's and 80's, did a lot of sessions for other people, he was apparently easy enough to get ahold of. I wouldn't be surprised to find out if they simply sent the master tape to Gilmour, told him where the solo was supposed to go, he did the overdub at his studio, then overnighted the tape back to the Cetera camp.

Gilmour can also be heard on one song on the third Berlin album, he played on some of Bryan Ferry's 80's era solo stuff (he also played with Ferry at Live Aid, during which one of his Strats failed and he had to swap guitars not just mid-song, but mid-solo, even!), he also worked with Kate Bush (you can see him in the Love & Anger video, and yeah, Dave famously "discovered" Kate), Roy Harper, Warren Zevon, Liona Boyd (!), Arcadia (yes, the Duran Duran spin off), Kirsty MacColl, Grace Jones (!!), and a truckload of others. He produced one of the Dream Academy albums, also the albums by a band called Unicorn, Syd Barrett's two solo albums,
    DG did get around. On Elton's The One album, EJ also had Eric Clapton come in for Runaway Train, which EC played guitar and sang. Did DG sing on any of his guest appearances?

Princess Margaret (The Queen's younger sister for all non UK folk) owned a mellotron.

http://www.planetmellotron.com/oddballs.htm
    Last edited by daven; 04-06-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Keith Chegwin recorded a song with The Third Ear Band.

A rather rare private release of the german band Opus, which was even bootleged by Tachika and can be found
    on Greg Walker's site as "OPUS - Private keyboard symph/prog in same mold as bands like Anyone’s Daughter, Novalis and P’Cock."

Actually this Band is much better known as "Pur" (they had to rename themselves as an austrian band of the same name became
    overnight top stars in Germany). "Pur" are one of the best selling Rock Pop bands in Germany and easily draw an audience
    of 70,000+ people

The older backing vocalist who can be briefly seen in the above video "David Hanselmann" was actually hired by the management of Genesis
    as the replacement for Peter Gabriel, but he was denied a work permit by the British Musicians Union.
    Last edited by TheH; 04-06-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Claude Debussy was inspired to create impressionism after hearing a gamelan orchestra at the 1889 Paris Worlds Fair.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama