Thread: Weather Report: Original Album Classics 5-CD box

Weather Report: Original Album Classics 5-CD box

Another one of these great, budget-priced sets has dropped in price recently on (Canadian) amazon to $19.99 (4 bucks a disc). Anyone looking to beef up their fusion collection or simply replace those old LPs, there are 2 left in stock. The albums in this one are: I Sing The Body Electric, Sweetnighter, Mysterious Traveller, Black Market and Night Passage.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

.... and $19.03 on amazon U.S. (5 left in stock) :

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album...6722951&sr=1-1

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I think this has been discussed before...

But for me, this would've been a sure-buy if it had contained their first five albums (not interested in BM and NV)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Also the two COmplete Albums Collections, one covering 1971-75 (first album through Tale Spinnin', and including Live in Tokyo from 1972), the other covering the Jaco years, 1976-82 (from Black Market through the 1982 Weather Report, and including the 2-cd version of 8:30) are a little more expensive (Popmarket has them for $44.99 and $55.99 respectively, though sometimes cheaper on amazon - just saw marketplace selling 71-75 for under $30 and 76-82 for under $26), but they are also expanded versions with, in almost all cases, lots of great bonus live material.

The only thing is it leaves the post Jaco stuff out in the cold - three studio albums plus the contractual obligation album, This is This, that was more a Zawinul solo record.

But while I am a big fan of these Original Album Classics boxes for the most part, this is one case where spending the extra $$ is worth it, imo. Plus, the selections here make no sense. Either do the first album through Tale Spinnin (and skip live in Tokyo) or do Black Market, Heavy Weather, Mr Gone, Night Passage and the 1982 Weather Report (again skipping the largely live 8:30 - one side was studio), sop you have one pre-Jaco, one Jaco era. That makes much more sense than this rather hodgepodge collection of titles.

I know the focus of this thread is the early-mid period, which has a lot of great music of course. But I've been listening to Heavy Weather lately and marveling at what a great album it really is. A perfect alignment of Jaco rising, great melodies, inspired arranging and seasoned musicianship. I'm even enjoying the overexposed Birdland track. This album had enough of a commercial edge that you could walk into a record store and find it in the rock section. When it was released, I seem to remember critics moaning about Wayne Shorter's lack of presence on the album, but I don't know. Seems like his touches are a crucial piece of the orchestration. I'm probably in a minority here of having this as a personal favorite...but...there it is.

I just saw this....

51nRna-GocL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

the other five missing studio albums (didn't know it existed)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Here's another one with an odd selection:

I got these cheaply enough separately over the years. I think my favourite three albums of theirs are in here ('Black Market', 'Mysterious Traveller' and '...Body Electric').

I'm guessing the reason they left 'Heavy Weather' out is because it's presumably the biggest seller. Same as they left 'Out Of The Blue' out of an ELO one, 'The Stranger' out of a Billy Joel one etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I just saw this....

51nRna-GocL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

the other five missing studio albums (didn't know it existed)
    Actually not the only other studio albums, as there' sin sign of Procession, Domino Theory, Sportin' Life or This is This, the group' spinal four, post-Jaco records that, barring TiT, all have plenty to recommend, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Actually not the only other studio albums, as there' sin sign of Procession, Domino Theory, Sportin' Life or This is This, the group' spinal four, post-Jaco records that, barring TiT, all have plenty to recommend, IMO.

Yeah, I didn't mean to eliminate the Victor Bailey era, though I find none of them particularly essential...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, I didn't mean to eliminate the Victor Bailey era, though I find none of them particularly essential...
    I'd almost agree, except I do like Procession and the Live in Kôln CD/DVD from that first tour....

This is now priced at $7.20 on amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/Original-Album-...TK/ref=sr_1_3?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This is now priced at $7.20 on amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/Original-Album-...TK/ref=sr_1_3?

I just tried to order this and they will not ship to the USA... bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Ahhh damn. I didn't realize that! Well, for any Canadians this is a pretty amazing deal at less than $1.50 per disc!

Quote Originally Posted by man-erg View Post
    I know the focus of this thread is the early-mid period, which has a lot of great music of course. But I've been listening to Heavy Weather lately and marveling at what a great album it really is. A perfect alignment of Jaco rising, great melodies, inspired arranging and seasoned musicianship. I'm even enjoying the overexposed Birdland track. This album had enough of a commercial edge that you could walk into a record store and find it in the rock section. When it was released, I seem to remember critics moaning about Wayne Shorter's lack of presence on the album, but I don't know. Seems like his touches are a crucial piece of the orchestration. I'm probably in a minority here of having this as a personal favorite...but...there it is.
    You are, at least around here, but fwiw, I totally agree; it's my favorite too!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Fargin' iceholes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Fargin' iceholes!
    not all marketplace vendors ship across borders...I've had same problem US to Canada, just fyi....
    Cheers!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    not all marketplace vendors ship across borders...I've had same problem US to Canada, just fyi....
    Cheers!
    John
    Bastages!