Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Instresting spin on Andersons departure from Yes

Instresting spin on Andersons departure from Yes

I'm sure everyone is getting tired of this question.. after all how many years since Jon was "officially" out of the band?
    With that said... here is a recent interview with Howe... granted it's not Howe's take on the exit I find interesting... (although I love his response to the question)..
    it's how the press / media has created this illusion of the Anderson departure..
    http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/a...9bb2963f4.html
    "Over the years, Yes has featured multiple personnel changes, with Howe sitting out the band’s pop-driven “Owner of the Lonely Heart” period in the ’80s to focus on his “supergroup” Asia, and original lead singer Jon Anderson coming and going several times before calling it quits for good a decade ago."

I'm not so sure Asia was any less "pop-driven" than Yes at the time.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

a bit off topic here, but what really happened with Benoit David? I remember he had some kind of illness too, and then he was gone. Seems like he was kinda pushed out. I didn't like him much anyhow, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Servo View Post
    a bit off topic here, but what really happened with Benoit David? I remember he had some kind of illness too, and then he was gone. Seems like he was kinda pushed out. I didn't like him much anyhow, just curious.
    He got ill, vocal problems from all the touring. He informed the band he couldn't do the next tour leg and said he was happy for them to continue with someone else. There was then some poor communication (quelle surprise) and David did a rather cross press release, but as far as I can gather it was his decision to quit, and he's since retired from the music business entirely.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

It's hilarious that of all the recent interviews I've read, it's STEVE HOWE, the guy who may be the most bitter about JA, who gets asked the Anderson question. Smooth!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    He got ill, vocal problems from all the touring. He informed the band he couldn't do the next tour leg and said he was happy for them to continue with someone else. There was then some poor communication (quelle surprise) and David did a rather cross press release, but as far as I can gather it was his decision to quit, and he's since retired from the music business entirely.
    Was Benoit David actually part of the "music industry"? Based on what I heard it sounded like he was just a dude culled from Youtube.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

as far as I can gather it was his decision to quit, and he's since retired from the music business entirely.
    Huh. Didn't realize that. Do you know what he's doing now, Henry?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Was Benoit David actually part of the "music industry"? Based on what I heard it sounded like he was just a dude culled from Youtube.
    He was the singer in Mystery before, during, and after Yes.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Huh. Didn't realize that. Do you know what he's doing now, Henry?
    I don't know. Presumably returned to his previous day job working on boats and raising his family.

Henry

Interviewer:
    Q: Before we go, I have to ask the Jon Anderson question. Is there any chance of a reunion with him?

Steve Howe:
    A: How would you like it if I asked you to get back together with your ex-girlfriend ...

Brilliant !

Is Steve saying Jon is his ex girlfriend ?

someone please clarify.... My god...
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post
    Is Steve saying Jon is his ex girlfriend ?
    LOL, Steve probably regrets using that analogy, but it does make the point.

I also like that he basically said "I didn't have time for Yes AND Asia AND my trio, so when I had to pick 2 out of 3 Asia drew the short straw."

Good call, Steve.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It's hilarious that of all the recent interviews I've read, it's STEVE HOWE, the guy who may be the most bitter about JA, who gets asked the Anderson question. Smooth!
    And he reacted like the interviewer was suggesting he go down on Anderson!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I thought with Benoit there was some feeling from the band that he just didn't have the right stage presence.

I guess JA will never return? But I will never see YES as YES without Jon. To me, he was the essence of what was YES. Call this boy...Owner of a broken heart.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I thought with Benoit there was some feeling from the band that he just didn't have the right stage presence.
    The band were planning to continue with David. They were not happy about having to find a quick replacement at the beginning of 2012. Had David's voice/health held up, he would have continued with the band. That said, there does appear to have been some dissatisfaction in the band with David and they certainly seem much happier now with Davison.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I guess JA will never return?
    Anderson wants back in. I think Yes are happy with their current course (as Howe expresses in that interview), but I think it would be foolish to dismiss the possibility of Anderson returning, in some form at some point. Squire and White are more open to the idea in interviews than Howe.

Henry

Steve has a reputation for being a jerk, but everyone in that band has to be sick and tired of two questions by now: (1) Jon Anderson, and (2) Hall of Fame.

And it's funny that every time I see someone interviewing a member of a band that hasn't made it into the HOF, the answer is invariably the same: It would be nice for the fans, but we don't really care. You'd think that would get through to these interviewers eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    You'd think that would get through to these interviewers eventually.
    You mean, as though they do research going into an interview? Seems to not be very common.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well, to be fair, many of these interviewers aren't writing for a Yes audience. This guy's writing for a local Atlantic City, NJ paper, trying to write something interesting for his readers. Most of them probably have no idea of the Anderson/Yes drama, and have probably only read headlines about Yes still not being in the HoF.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well, to be fair, many of these interviewers aren't writing for a Yes audience. This guy's writing for a local Atlantic City, NJ paper, trying to write something interesting for his readers. Most of them probably have no idea of the Anderson/Yes drama, and have probably only read headlines about Yes still not being in the HoF.
    But journalists asking the same old questions often get the same old, rather boring answers, as with the Hall of Fame question. Put some work into asking more interesting questions, and you might get some more interesting answers.

Henry

But journalists asking the same old questions often get the same old, rather boring answers, as with the Hall of Fame question. Put some work into asking more interesting questions, and you might get some more interesting answers.

Henry
    No, I get it. My point is that for this particular journalist (and others like him), this isn't old and boring. This is new ground for him and his readership.

It's the same argument that we make about setlists. We hardcore fans want a more interesting and varied setlist, but you know you're gonna get the hits.

hey, I'm just thankful the writer didn't print Jon Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Yeah, then Henry would have fired off an angry letter to the editor!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post

Davison.. jeeees... you gotta learn. !
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.