Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett: Genesis Revisited: Live At The Royal Albert Hall DVD/Blu-ray June 30th

Quote Originally Posted by jarmsuh View Post
    I am waiting for a possible future release of the Blu-Ray stand alone only. But from Inside Out feedback, there's no plan for that to happen. I can't understand the logic behind those box-set. Maybe they want to get rid of the illegal download music...
    That would be one reason, to make exclusive issues that would encourage people to buy; and if there was no exclusive content, why would people buy? So it's important, in these more expensive editions, to have a carrot to attract.

As before, I went for the Artbook edition and have no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Same here. This is a great release, the show is very well done, well performed, and filmed great. The two bonus features are excellent. If anything, I would have liked Steve to even go through the albums track by track!

Mike

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    WTF? I emailed Inside Out US to inquire about my order. They said they don't get their stock till mid-August! Yet it's on the Inside Out label ...
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ???

Ordered this, Knifeworld and the new Bowness disc from Inside Out, and my complete order has shipped (at least according to email).

Hmmm ...
    Did you preorder the art book edition? Their reply referred to it as an Import.

It irks me that they don't provide a phone number.

Do any US vendors have the art book edition?

I did not order the art book.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    No Amazon, eh?
    Chad

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Not only did it come, but I reviewed it:

My review of Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Limited Artbook Edition), today at All About Jazz.

Continue reading here....
    A most excellent review, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    No Amazon, eh?
    I don't think they're selling the art book edition.

Best deal is here for North American Customer, with tax and shipping it goes to 44$ for the deluxe edition :
    From inside out shop :
    http://www.insideoutmusicshop.com/
    Well, I'll wait for Greg Walker to get it in (he always gets the deluxe versions). Might be about the same price, but might be cheaper as well (most everything is cheaper through him, except maybe US domestic releases).

I haven't seen the tour and didn't buy the last set, so this one seems like the one for me.........Fountain Of Salmacis clinches it for me.

That would be one reason, to make exclusive issues that would encourage people to buy; and if there was no exclusive content, why would people buy? So it's important, in these more expensive editions, to have a carrot to attract.

Why people would buy! Because it's the first ever Blu-Ray release of Steve Hackett, and that soon, no more blu-rays will be available, because this is a limited editions. I think Inside Out would have made more money with a Blu-Ray/cd or Blu-Ray alone.

Why people would buy! Because it's the first ever Blu-Ray release of Steve Hackett, and that soon, no more blu-rays will be available, because this is a limited editions. I think Inside Out would have made more money with a Blu-Ray/cd or Blu-Ray alone.
    I meant: why would people buy the artbook edition if it didn't have something you couldn't get elsewhere. Look at all the "large book" editions coming out these days, from Steven Wilson to Ian Anderson and Steve Hackett. or the big box editions of Peter Gabriel, Deep Purple, ELP and others. More than the big book, they have something either audio or video that cannot be obtained in any other edition.

And that is why these higher priced editions sell out, for the most part.

I appreciate your frustration, but (a) you missed my point and (b) I suspect both Hackett and Inside Out considered their options long and hard before making the choices they did. You could be right, I'm not suggesting labels and artists don't make mistakes; but equally, I suspect they know their market better than either you or I do.

Because are you telling me that folks that don't buy the artbook edition because it's too dear won't buy the DVD edition, when given the choice of that or nothing? I'm pretty sure most folks won't NOT buy it because they're pissed a Blu Ray was not released at a more reasonable price point. If anything, the real sell here is another live recording so soon after Hammersmith....but as I say in my review, they really aren't a case of either/or; they're both so good - and with enough variety in the set list - to make buying both absolutely worthwhile to many who have seen this show. There are some who won't buy this new one, but I think a lot more who will, if for no other reason than the bass pedals sound abso-fucking-lutely incredible!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    Same here. This is a great release, the show is very well done, well performed, and filmed great. The two bonus features are excellent. If anything, I would have liked Steve to even go through the albums track by track!

Mike
    They'd have needed a third Blu-Ray for that. I did learn, from meeting and interviewing Steve when he played here and our 15 minute interview stretched to an hour (not complaining), is that once you get him going on the subject that he holds so near and dear, he pretty much holds court...and I say that with the greatest of affection. He loves to talk about it, and why not? But track by track? That'd stretch from one hour to what, maybe four or five?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    A most excellent review, as always.
    Thanks, also as always

I meant: why would people buy the artbook edition if it didn't have something you couldn't get elsewhere. Look at all the "large book" editions coming out these days, from Steven Wilson to Ian Anderson and Steve Hackett. or the big box editions of Peter Gabriel, Deep Purple, ELP and others. More than the big book, they have something either audio or video that cannot be obtained in any other edition.

And that is why these higher priced editions sell out, for the most part.

I appreciate your frustration, but (a) you missed my point and (b) I suspect both Hackett and Inside Out considered their options long and hard before making the choices they did. You could be right, I'm not suggesting labels and artists don't make mistakes; but equally, I suspect they know their market better than either you or I do.

Because are you telling me that folks that don't buy the artbook edition because it's too dear won't buy the DVD edition, when given the choice of that or nothing? I'm pretty sure most folks won't NOT buy it because they're pissed a Blu Ray was not released at a more reasonable price point. If anything, the real sell here is another live recording so soon after Hammersmith....but as I say in my review, they really aren't a case of either/or; they're both so good - and with enough variety in the set list - to make buying both absolutely worthwhile to many who have seen this show. There are some who won't buy this new one, but I think a lot more who will, if for no other reason than the bass pedals sound abso-fucking-lutely incredible!!!!
    At least Peter Gabriel and Steven Wilson have released their blu-rays seperately. Why their company have a different philosophy that Inside out, why is their market so different.

InsideOut specializes in getting people to buy the whole megillah. They originated those 2CD/DVD sets.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    InsideOut specializes in getting people to buy the whole megillah. They originated those 2CD/DVD sets.
    Yes, sad but true, i' ll wait to buy cheaper on marketplace later.

Holy bass tones! I just got a nice subwoofer for my studio monitor setup a few days ago and put this DVD on when I got home today. The bass, bass pedals and kick drum sound massive! A bit overpowering in fact.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    A bit overpowering in fact.
    I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd say...there is waaaaaaaay too much bass on the 2 channel layer of the DVD, and the audio CD's

I've always been a bass fiend, the bass pedals are something that I've always loved about Genesis, but man, overpowering is the word

At the deepest signature bass notes it's like the bass pedals are at one level, and everything else is a couple of notches lower

Perhaps not as noticeable at a lower volume, but sampled, "Dance on a Volcano" on both home theaters and it's pretty apparent

The funny thing is the Dolby 5.1 mix doesn't seem that "severe" - a LOT closer to "right" to my ears

The 2.0 mix is a fail, IMO

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 07-20-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Way too much bass for my taste on the DVD stereo tracks and CD's, the sound is muffled and lacking definition. Also tried to listen through headphones but that didn't help, still too bass-heavy. Overal sound balance was better on the Hammersmith DVD/CD
    BTW, did Lee Pomeroy use a (Taurus or similar) bass pedal on this recording ? I was unable to spot it by watching the DVD, though it is mentioned in the DVD boxset credits.

The pedals look like Roland PK-5 midi pedals to me. I do not see the high wrap around aluminum plus fake wood sides of the Taurus 1 nor the lower top with real wood sides of the Taurus 3. I suppose he could be triggering a full set of Moog Taurus 3, a Minitaur, or even a composite sample from the PK-5.

My copy from InsideOut finally arrived today - only $44 including shipping!

My copy has been shipped yesterday for 52$ Canadian dollars. But if i am hit by custom charges, it would go over 60$ and extra time to transit. All that for only one Blu-Ray because i won't listen to the cds and dvds

There are several grumbles on here about having to buy DVD and Blu-Ray in the same set, but I doubt it makes a penny/cent difference to the RRP. They're all mass produced for a few pence anyway. It may even be as cheap to produce, take orders for, despatch and transport X double sets as it would Y DVD versions plus X-Y Blu-Ray versions. I doubt the price we pay bears any relation to the production costs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Sheds View Post
    There are several grumbles on here about having to buy DVD and Blu-Ray in the same set, but I doubt it makes a penny/cent difference to the RRP. They're all mass produced for a few pence anyway. It may even be as cheap to produce, take orders for, despatch and transport X double sets as it would Y DVD versions plus X-Y Blu-Ray versions. I doubt the price we pay bears any relation to the production costs.
    It's Inside Out policy to try to find a way to avoid the most possible the illegal downloads of the cds by seducing people with bonus visuals. I am not sure if there's another company that does that systematically.

The only thing I don't like about this is Amanda Lehmann's singing on "Ripples". Patchy, to say the least. But I liked her contributions on backing vocals, second guitar, etc., in Hackett's band in recent years, so I think it's just not the right song for her.

They'd have needed a third Blu-Ray for that. I did learn, from meeting and interviewing Steve when he played here and our 15 minute interview stretched to an hour (not complaining), is that once you get him going on the subject that he holds so near and dear, he pretty much holds court...and I say that with the greatest of affection. He loves to talk about it, and why not? But track by track? That'd stretch from one hour to what, maybe four or five?
    And that's a problem?

Mike