Thread: Steven Wilson: Cover Version

Steven Wilson: Cover Version

I haven't seen this brought up yet so thought I'd throw it out there. From his website:

A newly compiled and remastered 2LP vinyl which collects all the tracks from the 6 Cover Version singles that were released on Steven’s own label Headphone Dust (and on 7 inch single by ToneFloat) between 2003-2010. These completely solo singles were originally recorded and released quickly and with no artwork, with only the final release (Cover Version VI) coming in a special box to house all six CDs, with design by Carl Glover and a booklet of portraits of Steven by Hajo Mueller.

This 12 track album now compiles the 6 cover versions on record one and the 6 originals that were on the “B sides” on record two. Pressed on double heavyweight (180g) vinyl, the tracks provide a fascinating insight into both SW’s musical taste and his development as a solo artist. The original artwork has been reworked by Carl Glover for the gatefold sleeve, which also now includes sleeve notes by Steven.

Track Listing:
    - Thank You [ 04:39 ]
    - The Day Before You Came [ 05:06 ]
    - A Forest [ 06:04 ]
    - The Guitar Lesson [ 04:03 ]
    - Sign `o` The Times [ 03:55 ]
    - Lord Of The Reedy River [ 05:03 ]
    - Moment I Lost [ 03:12 ]
    - Please Come Home [ 03:30 ]
    - Four Trees Down [ 03:33 ]
    - The Unquiet Grave [ 06:57 ]
    - Well You`re Wrong [ 03:35 ]
    - An End To End [ 05:12 ]
    It looks to be quite an eclectic mix. Apparently a CD version will be coming later in the year.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I haven't seen this brought up yet so thought I'd throw it out there. From his website:

It looks to be quite an eclectic mix. Apparently a CD version will be coming later in the year.
    I've heard some of these covers.
    Thank You and The Day Before You Came I don't think offer much beyond the originals.
    A Forest and The Guitar Lesson however are extremely good.
    Those are the only tracks I've heard off the list, but I can't imagine him doing a bad job of Lord of the Reedy River,one of Donovan's best songs.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I've heard some of these covers.
    Thank You and The Day Before You Came I don't think offer much beyond the originals.
    A Forest and The Guitar Lesson however are extremely good.
    Those are the only tracks I've heard off the list, but I can't imagine him doing a bad job of Lord of the Reedy River,one of Donovan's best songs.
    Thank you is pretty standard as you say, but the ABBA track for me really takes the song somewhere else, the original being an electro-pop arrangement and Steven stripping it down to just guitar and a bit of Mellotron. One of my favourites of the set. And yep, he does a great job with Lord of the Reedy River

Matt.