Thread: Doo wop question

Doo wop question

I recall there's a contingency of doo wop fans here, so that's why I'm asking the question on this site. Does anyone remember who sang the song Goodnight Sweetheart? Ya know, it's the one that starts of the bass vocal intro. I remember Sha-Na-Na used to close their variety show with the song (with Bowzer doing this ridiculous muscle flexing move as he sang the intro), but I know the song obviously predates them. I want the original version. Dr Fever, you know which song I'm talking about?

Chris - The Spaniels, who also made the doo-wop (always use the hyphen) classic version of Stormy Weather had the original version of Goodnight Sweetheart in the late 50s. I know it's available on more than one doo-wop compilation available on Amazon.

Who's Dr. Fever? (If it isn't me I want to know who it is!).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The guy from WKRP In Cincinnati.

Howard Hessman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Chris - The Spaniels, who also made the doo-wop (always use the hyphen) classic version of Stormy Weather had the original version of Goodnight Sweetheart in the late 50s. I know it's available on more than one doo-wop compilation available on Amazon.

Thanks, I knew you would know the answer. After I posted, I remembered the song was on the American Grafitti soundtrack, which we had on 8-track (!) when I was little (and it wasn't even a store bought 8-track, my mom or one my brother copied the album onto blank 8-track tapes!). So I looked that up. I've had that song running my head the last few days.

And yeah, I remember you said one time that people used to say you looked like Dr. Johnny Fever, before you shaved off your mustache. That's why I pulled out that particular allusion.

Shave Fever`s head and that's the Geezer.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    ...you shaved off your mustache.
    You shaved the mustache? Say it ain't so, Steve. I know you no other way.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Breathe easy, Luigi.

G Geek first met me before I grew my mustache back after Nearfest '07.

I did have a mustache when you subsequently saw me at the second 3RP though, Chris, not to say you would remember that, since it isn't a Kiss statistic (j/k).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Breathe easy, Luigi.

G Geek first met me before I grew my mustache back after Nearfest '07.

I did have a mustache when you subsequently saw me at the second 3RP though, Chris, not to say you would remember that, since it isn't a Kiss statistic (j/k).
    Nor is it a Pink Floyd statistic, a Yes statistic, a Queen statistic, a Rolling Stones statistic, a Uriah Heep statistic, a Thin Lizzy statistic, a Peter Frampton statistic, a Deep Purple statistic, a ELO statistic, a Night Ranger statistic, a Who statistic, a Led Zeppelin statistic, a Terje Rypdal statistc, a Van Der Graaf Generator statistic, a Sun Ra statistic, a Miles Davis statistic, a Magma statistic, a John Coltrane statistic, a Pat Metheny statistic, a Molly Ringwald statistic, a Peter Sellers statistic, a James Bond statistic, a Mission: Magic! statistic, a Star Trek statistic, a Doctor Who statistic, or a Bionic Woman statistic.

Actually, I think the first time I met you still had the mustache. I only remember that at one point you mentioned that you had shaved it off and making the point that people "used" to tell you looked like Dr. Johnny Fever. I hadn't realized you had grown it back. I think the time we bumped into each other last was at that last 3RP fest, the one with King's X and IQ. I think most of the people I met at that fest, I actually met immediately after Syzygy was were done playing, during which we were deluged by like every person in the place wanting to buy CD's, so it was kind of a blur. What I mainly remember was having to track down the band members and direct them to the swag table because people wanted autographs, etc, and then having to find someone who get both cash and more swag out of the car because were running out.

Or maybe I just hallucinated that, along with IQ playing Outer Limits.

There are loads of versions old and new in various styles, but the best of course is by The Spaniels.

And here's an interesting mini-doc on doo-wop imposters

I used to have recordings of Ronnie James Dio's doo-wop groups. actually I might still have them. On this site, http://www.padavona.com/mp3.html from the Red Caps through The Elves Live at the Bank.