Page 96 of 120 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 3000

Thread: New YES CD "Heaven & Earth" due July 8 / U.S. Summer tour

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    After reading the review of the Boston show, I'm even more psyched for Friday night's show at the Oakdale (Wallingford CT). Any PE'ers I should look for at the show?

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I'd like to hear some full songs. The clips so far sound like easy listening or 'lite' music.
    That's because it is easy listening music...

So, it's July 9. Did I miss a change in release date, or is it officially out?

I'm sure it's somewhere in the 96 pages of this thread.

I've listened to it twice, though, still not very closely. I was reminded of the Moody Blues' 80s period. Then I thought that Patrick Moraz would fit in well.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I see that a recording of the Albany show is now making the rounds.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

I'm sure it's somewhere in the 96 pages of this thread.

I've listened to it twice, though, still not very closely. I was reminded of the Moody Blues' 80s period. Then I thought that Patrick Moraz would fit in well.
    Dead on.

Official release date: July 22 in USA, a couple days sooner in Japan/Europe.

I was reminded of the Moody Blues' 80s period.
    That's a pretty good comparison right there.

I've listened to the entire album with headphones,thru' my home system,in stereo,in Dolby Pro Logic II,in my car and just through the computer speakers about 30 times in all. I have come to a very succinct revelation which I will now share with you all. Heaven & Earth sounds like..........................YES!

For now, at least.

Impressive show at Radio City last night. Thoughts:

- What Downes loses for simplifying the more complicated parts, he makes up for with tasteful playing and patch selection throughout the show.
    - Davison, Howe and Squire brung it. White seemed to struggle as per usual.
    - Set list was CTTE in reverse order, Believe Again, Fragile, AGP, Owner, ST
    - First half of SK was a mess but they finally got it together by the "dit dits" and the show took off from there.
    - Believe Again (which I really like) is even stronger live.
    - Fragile was played very well but the solos by departed members make it such an odd choice to be played by this lineup.
    - Having said that, Downes nailed Cans and Brahms. Can't imagine he was thrilled to play it.
    - 5% for Nothing was what it was. I'll admit I laughed through the whole song.
    - Lots and lots of backing tapes for We Have Heaven and The Fish (Downes played cowbell!)
    - AGP basically omitted the entire "Your Move" section- did the opening vocal thing and skipped ahead to ISAGP. Very weird version.
    - Howe finally used a Rabin-esque patch for the Owner GTR solo, while still playing it his own way.
    - Downes whipped out the keytar all too briefly during the Wurm coda. More keytar please!

I'd put the show as a solid 8 out of 10... as long as you went in with the proper expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    This ^

Just played the version from Boston, outstanding!

I'll take the opportunity to harp on the fact I wish they'd play more H & E

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

- Lots and lots of backing tapes for We Have Heaven and The Fish
    True, but the vocals in the midsection of South Side of the Sky appeared to be live. Downes did one of the parts through a vocoder..

- Howe finally used a Rabin-esque patch for the Owner GTR solo, while still playing it his own way.
    Delurking to elaborate here: Steve seems to finally be fully embracing Owner. I believe playing it on a Strat with the proper amount of distortion is new too, isn't it? Hasn't he usually played it on the ES with his usual chunky crunch sound in the past? But yeah, hearing him kick in the harmonizer and approximate Rabin's solo was mind-blowing. Never thought I'd see the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's up for review at the Babyblaue site already, getting a smashing 2/15.
    There's another one now, a safe 1/15, making for the total score at whopping 1.5/15. Sure ain't bad.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I've listened to the entire album with headphones,thru' my home system,in stereo,in Dolby Pro Logic II,in my car and just through the computer speakers about 30 times in all. I have come to a very succinct revelation which I will now share with you all. Heaven & Earth sounds like..........................YES!
    If you listened to ANY album 30 times in such a short time frame, you sound like a fanboi who might think that the boys making an album of armpit farts sound like..........YES! Not sure I can trust this...

- What Downes loses for simplifying the more complicated parts, he makes up for with tasteful playing and patch selection throughout the show.
    - Davison, Howe and Squire brung it. White seemed to struggle as per usual.
    - Set list was CTTE in reverse order, Believe Again, Fragile, AGP, Owner, ST
    - First half of SK was a mess but they finally got it together by the "dit dits" and the show took off from there.
    - Fragile was played very well but the solos by departed members make it such an odd choice to be played by this lineup.
    - Having said that, Downes nailed Cans and Brahms. Can't imagine he was thrilled to play it.
    - 5% for Nothing was what it was. I'll admit I laughed through the whole song.
    - Lots and lots of backing tapes for We Have Heaven and The Fish (Downes played cowbell!)
    - AGP basically omitted the entire "Your Move" section- did the opening vocal thing and skipped ahead to ISAGP. Very weird version.
    - Downes whipped out the keytar all too briefly during the Wurm coda. More keytar please!

I'd put the show as a solid 8 out of 10... as long as you went in with the proper expectations.
    I was there last night, and agree with most of this. Siberian was a bit of a rough start, and really was the only song of the night that I thought was slower than it should be.

There was a minor mess up at the end of HOTS, but nothing horrible, just normal early tour mis-cues. They had gotten through the entire song so beautifully, and then I think White started his drum part too early right at the last aggressive bit. Ah well...

I also thought that Downes was higher in the mix than in the past, which was good.

I think The Fish will get better as the tour goes on. Squire is still getting used to the looping of parts. It wasn't bad in any way, I just think it'll get *better* as the tour goes on.

After SK, I actually thought White was fine, other than the HOTS issue. I do wish they'd put his drums a bit louder in the mix. Squire's bass seemed a bit quieter than normal also, although that may have just been an artifact of the venue, as the open space may eat up the bass...

Glad I went, my lovely wife also enjoyed it, she's a big Yes fan also. Misses Jon A. more than I do, but is totally happy with Jon D. in the mix.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There's another one now, a safe 1/15, making for the total score at whopping 1.5/15. Sure ain't bad.
    Can I just mention though that there are some fans who once the general consensus is that "the fans that have posted already" dont like it, seem to be a bit like sheep. Works the same with music reviewers too, no one seems to want to be the one who says "actually I think its pretty good" in case it appears they have crap taste. I can say however I havent heard it, so cant comment on it. Personally I loved the Squackett album we released, some did and some did not---- so you can never judge what the reception will be, but I dont remember it being quite like this.

The Squackett album got a mixed rather than negative response- some people liked it straight away and others didn't. I was initially lukewarm about it but gradually I came to enjoy it...'Divided Self' is delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I can say however I havent heard it, so cant comment on it.
    You know, when Yes' previous record was released, I didn't jump boat either way. I decided to go listen to it, and when I did I promptly decided not to buy the thing. I know people whose opinions and tastes I wholly respect would vouch for that release, but I just thought it pretty darn awful. Not all of it, but the basics. With this new one, I had pretty much made up my mind to just go ahead and purchase it - no matter that sparkling water-etiquette cover, the lack of 'Jon' and blah-blah. But there are voices I listen to with acclamation in the sphere of "prog recensions", and Babyblaue is one of them - nearly disregarding which reviewer. Not that I had the highest of hopes in the first place.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Squackett album got a mixed rather than negative response- some people liked it straight away and others didn't. I was initially lukewarm about it but gradually I came to enjoy it...'Divided Self' is delightful.
    Yeah, not to derail a Yes thread but I'm hoping those two produce a follow up. I feel like the first one explored their shared love of 60s pop groups like The Hollies though there was the odd Zep-ish hard rocker in there as well. I know that's a side they both also enjoy in common and would love to see it explored (since it seems Yes ain't gonna do it.)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, not to derail a Yes thread but I'm hoping those two produce a follow up. I feel like the first one explored their shared love of 60s pop groups like The Hollies though there was the odd Zep-ish hard rocker in there as well. I know that's a side they both also enjoy in common and would love to see it explored (since it seems Yes ain't gonna do it.)
    Going to have to re-visit that one - huge Hollies fan but I can't remember hearing that influence

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, not to derail a Yes thread but I'm hoping those two produce a follow up.
    They are working towards another one. Squire has talked about a second album followed by a tour. Hackett recently tweeted a photo of Squire joining him in the studio for a session, although it's unclear whether that session was for Squackett or something else.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Going to have to re-visit that one - huge Hollies fan but I can't remember hearing that influence
    It's subtle, mainly in the vocal harmonies. I read back before the album came out Squire mentioning that was a common interest and part of what fueled the collaboration.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Nobody mentioned Downes' stars & stripes cape last night? Very cool. Agree with the reviews posted except I felt Owner, everything prior to Howe's ending solo, almost ruined the night. Should have had YIND or another H & E track instead. Wonderful sound in that great room. Worth the $35- front upper mezzanine seat for me; I spent $40- on a tour shirt! Videos coming soon...soon as my laptop is fixed / replaced.
    Jon is not Jon of course, but for someone like me, having seen them some 40+ times since '77, I left RCMH with a big sh*t eating smile as this Yes kicked a** on numerous levels.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Nobody mentioned Downes' stars & stripes cape last night? Very cool.