Page 68 of 120 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 3000

Thread: New YES CD "Heaven & Earth" due July 8 / U.S. Summer tour

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I actually have enjoyed everything I've heard so far. This makes me more hopeful for the new CD, personally.
    Me too!

I think the band is just going in a more pop/rock song oriented way---even FFH was like that---but not as AOR as yeswest hopefully. I always wanted Anderson to stay in the band, as I love his voice--even if just for the albums and not for the tour---(anything is possible with Yes you know!)---problem with Jon is he is genius or just horrible--not too much in between--most of his solo work is bad IMO---and he needed the back up band of Howe, White, Squire, and Wakeman to make it sound good. For me there have been 3 great songs --Mind Drive, In the Presence of, and That, that is---which were in the same universe as 70's masterpieces if not perfect. The rest was a song here or there on an album but very inconsistent and has been for some time. ANderson was a take complete charge guy---and unfortunately his ideas and direction have not always had good results--plus he works when and if he wants (illness aside--he says he has been healthy for some time)--plus he tends to be all over the place---which is not good in a band. I mean with all those 90's and early 2000 albums--Howe always complained he didn't like making music via e-mails---he thought it was important to jam in a room for a long time--the way they did in the 70's---and Anderson liked to work long distance and didn't want to spend the time. I can tell you as a collaborator--nothing works better than being in the same room together and taking the time to jam and exchange ideas---magic can happen---that is so much better than simply bouncing off an idea via an e-mail or conference call.

Say what you will about the new excerpt, but you have to admit Yes gives Starcastle a run for their money.
    The Mighty Megalosaurus
    Tree Pusher, WESAYSO Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by NotTheMama View Post
    Say what you will about the new excerpt, but you have to admit Yes gives Starcastle a run for their money.
    Actually, I'm waiting to see the first review that describes latter-day Yes as "Starcastle clones".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The full album has leaked... You can find it if you know where to look...

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's only gonna get better from here.
    I don't know... I've heard the rest of the album. I think you're leading the witness(es). Objection, your honor!

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Sounds sort of like dumbed down [...]
    I don't think you really have to say much more than that.

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The clip is from partway through the song. The opening is 'poppier'.
    So basically, the sample is the heaviest part of the track.

Yes. That kooky synth line anchors the tune for the majority of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NotTheMama View Post
    I'm glad I am not the only one who thought this....and the Asia comments too. I just found what I heard "tired" for lack of a better word. Not a great deal of energy. Not terrible, but just okay. Maybe after a few spins it will grow.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    If you mean mp3face.com I checked that out and they want $39.95 to join or $3.00 for 3 days. I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I actually have enjoyed everything I've heard so far. This makes me more hopeful for the new CD, personally.
    I'm with you 100%.

Heard it. Hate it.

From someone who always tries to find the good in Yes, the division of opinion here is interesting. I just played Union for the first time in maybe two years while going for a stroll and found the better songs much more interesting and energetic than the 10 minutes or so I've heard on the clips. Even the not so good ABWH2 songs seemed more energetic and interesting.

So Sean and Henry, have you heard Heaven and Earth enough to rank it compared to Union and OYE?

(Edit: Just saw that Henry only gave someone elses' ranking.)
    Last edited by yamishogun; 06-24-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Yep...First spin in progress.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    If you mean mp3face.com I checked that out and they want $39.95 to join or $3.00 for 3 days. I'll wait.
    That one is fake. You can tell by the alleged file sizes not really corresponding with what we know the lengths of the tracks to be.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I was playing the new sample last night and my girlfriend, who was reading across the room from me, said "that's terrible, is that YES??!!" She was horrified.

I have to admit I agree. And I love FFH.

But only @ 192kps

The nerve!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

So I have now heard Heaven & Earth in its entirety and I'm almost not sure what to say for fear of it being perceived that I'm just being mean. It's kind of like they tried to do a Ladderish pop/prog type album but without very much to work with in the way of hooks or memorable, coherent songs. These songs don't go anywhere. I just get an overriding sense of aimlessness and directionlessness from this album. I really can't even tell who most of this stuff is supposed to be for. It's not going to appeal to the fans who buy tickets for three album tours and so forth. It's not even remotely catchy or focused enough to work as pop music for some imaginary crossover hit. Is this the kind of music the guys in the band enjoy spinning for themselves at the end of the day? If so, then I can't really argue with that, but if they were making this record with any specific audience in mind I can't for the life of me figure out which demographic it is. I do like that it has a more stripped down sound than they've had in a while and I kinda like "The Game" still. Most of the rest is just kinda there...not offensive, but not memorable. A song starts, goes for a while and then it ends having made little impact and zero emotional connection. Fly From Here takes on a new luster in comparison. I even prefer recentish Asia albums like XXX and Phoenix. Just as an album of songs H&E might place below the likes of Union and Open Your Eyes for me.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 06-24-2014 at 09:05 AM.

The 'leak' is easy to find.

This is a strange album. The first and last tracks are good, I especially like the last track.

But the stuff in between? But one track 'All We Knew' starts off like 'Stuck in the Middle With you' and ends up going into what sounds like a jolly seventies singer/songwriter track... Or like some of Chicago's jauntier moments.

Light of the Ages is OK...

The rest is... just a bit strange. Not really sure who its aimed at? YES hard-core fans? No really, as the melodies are pretty poor and music not that interesting (And Steve Howe seems to squiggle all over it) Casual pop/rock fans? I doubt it... It doesn't really remind me much of Asia.

I'm a bit baffled... It sounds like Yes, but doesn't really sound much like what Yes have done before. I don't thing the melodies or singing are good, though. Sounds a bit 'stage musical' in places with melodies that sound like they're off a 1970s kids cartoon album in places. May require more listening.

It certainly isn't as immediate as Fly From Here, which I loved from the start (And still do.)

I've got the CD and vinyl on pre-order, I think I may ditch the vinyl and just keep the CD.

so easy to find I can't find it...

Count me as disappointed too - and I am a staunch fan. Some of the songs just sound "wrong". As if they were written by amateur songwriters having their first crack at it.

Very, very strange.

The production doesn't do them any favours either. Nothing on it has any conviction. The Game is okay, but should have been tightened up. Subway Walls is okay too with some interesting instrumental passages. Geoff's keyboard work is a highlight throughout and the vocals are better than Fly From Here. The guitar is fairly tasty (for Steve) but the drums are worse than FFH (I thought they were insipid on that one). A couple of the songs have virtually no groove to them, which is one reason The Game works for me - at least it drives along. The best Yes for me has a solid rhythmic feel eg HOTS, Does it Really Happen, Owner, SSOTS, Run with the Fox even Real Love has a groove with White and Squire "in the pocket". Albeit a proggy pocket. Prior to this the only Yes album I disliked was The Ladder, and that was due to the songwriting. I think this may be worse, to my tastes.
    I was really hoping that Anil was going to be wrong.

To put it in perspective, every song I have heard that Tom Brislin has written either solo, or in Spiraling, is better than the material on this one (he is a hell of a talent). I wish he could have written with the band.
    The world keeps spinning though, and Yes are still my favourite band. Jon D is a great fit to exploit the canon, and Chris Squire is still a source of inspiration to me (musically of course!)

I hope others like it.
    PS. I am not your typical Yesfan. I like Loveshine!

Subway - Sounds like a vehicle for a lot of solos on the next tour !

Quote Originally Posted by andypashley View Post
    so easy to find I can't find it...
    Yeah! Can you help us out here and show us please? You can PM me if you prefer.

Chris said in his latest interview that Yes wanted to try to do something different that they felt the music needed to change and they did what they wanted to do. Change has been their motto since day one. Yes should always be ready to go into unknown territory. Jeff Beck never repeats anything he has done before just saying.