Page 21 of 120 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: New YES CD "Heaven & Earth" due July 8 / U.S. Summer tour

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Headline: Members of Yes Form New Supergroup with Prince
    I love Yes but there's not a funky bone in that whole band. Well, maybe Alan once but no more, maybe Tony but he's not around. Prince would slap them upside their collective heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Will do. In the meantime, I think we should play the "Caption This! : YES Edition" game.

Attachment 3660
    "Seriously, guys... what the heck is a "total mass retain"?"

Steve Howe: "I don't care if you're the prince, you're blocking me in the shot! I'll kick you in the f***ing head!"
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"Let me show you how I can play the air keyboards!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    "You guys need a hot chick out front singing lead vocals."

I don't think I saw this thread before just a moment ago. I'm going to try to get tickets for the Orlando show. This seems like a short concert, though. Just Fragile and Close to the Edge? Then an "encore of their greatest hits". Does that mean Roundabout and Owner of a Lonely Heart? As far as I know, those were their only hits. It will be interesting to hear the new singer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    I don't think I saw this thread before just a moment ago. I'm going to try to get tickets for the Orlando show. This seems like a short concert, though. Just Fragile and Close to the Edge? Then an "encore of their greatest hits". Does that mean Roundabout and Owner of a Lonely Heart? As far as I know, those were their only hits. It will be interesting to hear the new singer, though.
    No, I think it'll be a show split into two acts. Act 1 is Fragile and CTTE (approx 80 min.), and after an intermission you'll get Act 2 which will be the "greatest hits and some new stuff" (prob. 45-60 min. or so). THEN I'm guessing there'll be an encore. Anyways, that's my guess.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Attachment 3660

I kinda dig Yes, but my mother's really into Queen.

Attachment 3660

Now listen boys, I need assurance that Chris won't be wearing those.... trousers.... on stage tonight.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    "Encore" is a poor choice of words, I think. It will be a full-length show, along the lines Paulrus described, with the rest of the set including material from the new album.

Nor should we interpret "greatest hits" too literally... although Yes did have other hits. What of "Wonderous Stories", a top ten single in the UK, for example?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Preordered the Japanese release. Hope the extra track is worth the extra $$.
    It rarely is, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The Japanese labels generally block that approach with exclusivity clauses. If I remember correctly, the extended "Hour of Need" (the Japanese bonus track on Fly from Here) cannot be released elsewhere until 2016, and I imagine the same thing will happen here.

That said, because the yen is currently weak, the whole economic argument for Japanese bonus tracks makes no sense at the moment! They're just doing it out of habit now.

Henry
    Still the most stupid thing is music, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Some (not me!) would say that WAS a ghastly religious album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Attachment 3660

Now listen boys, I need assurance that Chris won't be wearing those.... trousers.... on stage tonight.

I think it's safe to say the poster is wrong. With Aymeric's interview, that's three band members who have said it will be more than one.

Henry
    Great News,thanks Henry.

yeselpkrimson
    I think it's safe to say the poster is wrong. With Aymeric's interview, that's three band members who have said it will be more than one.
    Henry, I just emailed you some information regarding a first-hand source, but to sum up: A fan who (I believe) was on the cruise last month mentioned on another forum that Howe "and maybe others downplayed or said that any new material performance was unlikely. [...] It was the "talk" appearance of the band on Cruise to the Edge. They weren't being this positive at all. Steve in fact said he doubted it. Although, he is very happy with the recording and how well it came together despite earlier hesitations about a new recording."

Sounds to me like the various members are all over the page as to the new material... Maybe they'll hash it out when the tour rehearsals begin [the end of June, the first week of July, right? Tour starts July 8.]

Personally, I believe they'll open with Fragile in its entirety, then Close To The Edge in its entirety; intermission; come back with Heaven & Earth (IN ITS ENTIRETY!), and close with the selection of 'greatest hits' i.e. songs from The Yes Album. Yeah. That's what I believe.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    According to Facebook Heaven & Earth is being mixed by Billy Sherwood as I type this.

Sherwood is mixing Heaven & Earth?

:: panic ensues, thread explodes to 237 pages ::

Quote Originally Posted by yeselpkrimson View Post
    Henry, I just emailed you some information regarding a first-hand source, but to sum up: A fan who (I believe) was on the cruise last month mentioned on another forum that Howe "and maybe others downplayed or said that any new material performance was unlikely. [...] It was the "talk" appearance of the band on Cruise to the Edge. They weren't being this positive at all. Steve in fact said he doubted it. Although, he is very happy with the recording and how well it came together despite earlier hesitations about a new recording."

Sounds to me like the various members are all over the page as to the new material...
    Many thanks.

Howe has, for some time, appeared to be the most sceptical one in the band about the demand for new material from the audience, and the one most interested in the album format as a way of exploring the back catalogue. Squire, in contrast, loves going out performing new material (look at the Chris Squire Experiment and Syn set lists). We'll find out on 8 July quite what they decide, and that might well evolve over the tour. The summer tour when Fly from Here was first released initially only included "We Can Fly", but they'd added "Into the Storm" by the end, and several months later, were playing over 3/4 of the album.

The reality -- see other thread on this topic -- is that audiences are generally more interested in the classic material, even if many of us are more interested in new and less played material.

Henry

According to Facebook Heaven & Earth is being mixed by Billy Sherwood as I type this.
    Did they not like Baker's mix? Is this why the Japanese release date has been put back? I don't know, I'm just ensuring there's enough speculation for Impman's prediction (thread exploding to 237 pages) to be right! I think Sherwood did a good mixing job on Keys to Ascension and Keys to Ascension 2, so I'm OK with this.

Henry

Well then you'd better keep typing!

Interesting, cuz on the band's website it says:

For ‘Heaven and Earth,’ YES teams up with legendary Grammy Award winner, Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, The Cars, Guns N’ Roses, Foreigner, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice Cooper, etc.), who handles production and mixing.
    He must be delegating.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Billy Sherwood is only mixing background vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Billy Sherwood is only mixing background vocals.
    Billy posted this: "Got a cool gig... I'm mixing the new YES record !!! Finished the 1st song late last night and now heading into the 2nd track. I love mixing... anyone out there needing a professional mix just send me a message, let's make some music"

Makes it seem like he is mixing more than background vocals.

oh jesus here comes a couple of new threads on how bad the mix is to go along with the logo, cover art…. hahahahaha

Anyone else think that Sherwood is only trolling PE with that Facebook post?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Billy, don't be a hero.