Page 16 of 120 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: New YES CD "Heaven & Earth" due July 8 / U.S. Summer tour

Usually though (not always) those were vocal groups where you pretty much just replaced a generic tenor or bass guy with new generic tenor or bass guys ad nauseum down through the years. You weren't replacing distinct musical personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    White just never really did it for me. He was always adequate, while Bruford, to me, was special.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I'm sure not many of our members follow or keep up with black gospel groups. I do, since I sell a lot of cds by these groups in my store. The Sensational Nightingales, Supreme Angels, Mighty Clouds of Joy, Five Blind Boys of Alabama and the Spiritual QC's are all legendary groups that got their start as far back as the 1930's. They are all still active. Some have no original members while others may have one. The QC's have one original member, Spencer Taylor and he is well into his 90's. They all remain quite popular even though the people who made these groups legendary in gospel circles have all departed. I don't see why bands in other forms of music couldn't carry on in this manner either.
    I've made this same point about the Glenn Miller Orchestra. My dad was always fond of them, and I was surprised to find out in the '90s that they were still around, so we went to a few shows together. They're still performing today, and their current band leader continues a lineage that connects back to Glenn Miller himself (he played under one of the former leaders, who in turn performed under a guy who was in the band with Miller and took over after Miller disappeared).

Sure, Yes has always had some very distinct personalities, but they've always been there in service of the music. That's not to say they're interchangeable, but I do think it means the music can transcend their participation, so long as it's always put in the right hands. I'd be perfectly fine seeing a gradual passing of the torch over the next few years, perhaps one member at a time, so there's always a direct link. Squire steps down; Sherwood takes over. Downes steps down; Brislin takes over. And so on.

Probably won't happen, of course.

I played KTA2 studio album last night and was very impressed by Alan's drumming on that album. By the way I LOVE that album KTA2 (studio). I like it more than Going For The One. But who's the better drummer? I guess I'd have to go with Bruford. He has a jazz pedigree so that elevates him immediately. But Alan's no slouch, and you have to admire him for devoting his entire life to playing with YES for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    Both are great drummers at what they do, but for me, Bruford's sound was that of Yes, rather than White's harder, straight ahead approach. He tended to leaden the band. For those who preferred that (like Eddie Offord), it's all good. For those of us who liked the lighter, more uncertain rhythm, we preferred Broof...
    I like Relayer a lot but I think Bruford could have made it even better - he was more suited to the jazzier style than White, I think. Tales... probably couldn't be salvaged by anybody, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Bruford wins that in every possible way.
    Disagree, Bruford struggled to adapt outside of his comfort zone of being a jazz drummer. I think he himself has admitted his limitations in his Bio. Sometimes YES's music needed that harder edge which White gave in abundence!!! Just can't imagine Bruford on Drama, Tales, GFTO et al.

Although I love Bruford I think White was the better drummer for YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I like Relayer a lot but I think Bruford could have made it even better - he was more suited to the jazzier style than White, I think. Tales... probably couldn't be salvaged by anybody, IMO.
    Tales can be salvaged with a scalpel, it just feels too long to me, too many stretched out parts.

Tales is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Tales is perfect.
    This is correct.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If they trimmed less than 2 minutes off of it, TALES would fit on a single disc :-)

I like it the way it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This is correct.
    +3

This is correct.
    Make that +4

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Make that +4
    In all its bloated glory!
    +5
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    In all its bloated glory!
    +5
    For you folks, I will put the first twelve minutes of "The Ancient" on a repeating loop for eight hours, and see if you change your mind.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    For you folks, I will put the first twelve minutes of "The Ancient" on a repeating loop for eight hours, and see if you change your mind.
    Pppppffffft. That's one of my favorite parts.

Never understood the love for Tales. It's the one album from their classic period that I just can't sit through. I agree that it would have benefited from a lot of editing.

Tales is that album that I listen to once per year just to make sure I didn't miss anything the previous year when I listened to it.

Then I put it away for another year again.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Usually though (not always) those were vocal groups where you pretty much just replaced a generic tenor or bass guy with new generic tenor or bass guys ad nauseum down through the years. You weren't replacing distinct musical personalities.
    Say that to a serious fan of this music and see how far you get with that argument! Before I learned about the music I would have tended to agree with you. But I find that those with a serious love for this music can debate the importance of Julius Cheeks and Sam Cooke until they are blue in the face. They are as serious about these guys as we are about Squire and Howe.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Remember how I said "You'll never stop YES!"

See!

I wouldn't change my mind. That's not how I listen to the album... a twelve-minute repeating loop of a song from ANY album would be unwelcome!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I wouldn't change my mind. That's not how I listen to the album... a twelve-minute repeating loop of a song from ANY album would be unwelcome!
    So you don't like 'Starless' or 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond'. CRiminal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    So you don't like 'Starless' or 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond'. CRiminal!!!
    Or "Sshhh/Peaceful" (I guess that's only six minutes).

Last post- 3 days ago! You all are slacking!

I heard through the grapevine that Billy Sherwood somehow has placed Bill Shatner's voice somewhere in one of the songs on Heaven and Earth and George Takei ( a.k.a. Mr. Sulu and a huge YESfan) is furious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Last post- 3 days ago! You all are slacking!
    The next time I want to see this thread breathe life again is when there's a track listing.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)