Thread: What must a girl do to get PROG to Texas???

What must a girl do to get PROG to Texas???

Seriously, Texans are awesome for music but what gives about no one ever taking their tour down south unless they are big names?? I've seen RUSH, YES, DT, etc. so many times. I want some meaty, juicy prog! *pout*

Sorry for the rant....but good golly it's ridiculous. I don't do country music.

I live an hour away from Pittsburgh. I have traveled to the city to see Steven Wilson, Tull, The Aristocrats, Robin Trower, Rush, ZPZ, and many more. Heck, even Goblin has performed in Pittsburgh (but I missed it!). I suggest keeping up on your favorites and making sure to check tour dates when they are announced. You just never know when they'll be in your neck of the woods ... but ... you may have to travel an hour or more.

A) bat her eyes

OR

B) start putting together a 'fest

Glass Hammer will happily consider coming down for a show... just have to have somewhere to play!

Unless you live in an area that will financially support what you are hoping to see, what you want to see is unlikely to come to your vicinity.

That's the answer to your question in one sentence, unfortunately.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Move to NY ??

Two words, Austin! While getting traditional Prog bands may be a problem, there is much new and exciting, prog-like, music happening in Austin constantly.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

OK, I made myself curious and searched for shows in Austin -

March 28 - The Invincible Czars (Saw them on a double bill with Estradasphere).
    April 9 - TesseracT, Intronaut and more. Djent, Prog Metal, much beloved here on PE
    April 19 - Umphrey's McGee - Best Prog-Jam band going!
    April 24 - Mogwai - Post Rock
    May 2 - Liars - Indie/Prog
    May 2 - Psych Fest!!! The Dandy Warhols, of Montreal, Kadavar and many many more!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I drive down to the Dallas area all the time for shows. My next trip there should be to see Acid Mothers Temple in Ft. Worth in April.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Glass Hammer will happily consider coming down for a show... just have to have somewhere to play!
    I think this is the consensus among the bands themselves. I know it's true for IZZ. We love playing to anyone and everyone, but the offer has to be extended and it has to be financially viable. To varying degrees of success, prog fans have started their own clubs / grassroots promotional organizations to bring the music to them. Three of the better-known groups are ORION Sound Studios' prog series (Baltimore), NJ Proghouse (New Jersey) and NewEARS (Boston area). You may want to seek these groups out and ask how they started. With the exception of ORION, which utilizes their own studio space, the groups partner with local clubs to bring artists, advertise and otherwise promote the shows. The clubs agree to host the bands (often on slower nights of the week) and profit from the bar and whatever cover they charge. In general, the clubs need to be convinced they will see a better crowd than they would on a non-music evening, and it really helps if they themselves are fans of prog (or at least relatively familiar with, and positive towards, the genre).

Try sending a message to the folks at the NJ Proghouse: http://www.njproghouse.com/contact-us/

or NewEARS: http://newears.org/mailinglist.htm

and let them know you would like to know what they have done to bring bands to their area. I bet there are a lot of prog fans in Texas who feel as alone in their interest as you. If they knew there was a way to bring bands to them, they would jump all over it.

I know we have 1st friday every month and Glass Hammer would KILL IT!!! But the venue is the concern...we are small time but love awesome music. *WHIMPER* Maybe if I promised the band a good home cooked dinner and all the beer I can afford???? Mi Casa Es Su Casa!!! <3 xoxo

A) bat her eyes

OR

B) start putting together a 'fest

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I know we have 1st friday every month and Glass Hammer would KILL IT!!! But the venue is the concern...we are small time but love awesome music. *WHIMPER* Maybe if I promised the band a good home cooked dinner and all the beer I can afford???? Mi Casa Es Su Casa!!! <3 xoxo
    Prog bands have been known to play for less.........

Yeah, that could work! The real hurdle is the expense of actually getting there. That's what's kept us out of Europe all these years. I don't know if trying to organize a festival could be a winner or if it would be competing with BajaProg...

omg I would SOOOO move if I could ---- but money is tight *pout* and....I do quite like the weather here

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Move to NY ??

Where are ya'll located???? I know I'll be in Chicago the first of May. I have a few connections there.

Yeah, that could work! The real hurdle is the expense of actually getting there. That's what's kept us out of Europe all these years. I don't know if trying to organize a festival could be a winner or if it would be competing with BajaProg...

and btw TEXAS and Baja Prog is SOOOO different because you don't need a passport for Texas it's a major reason I am not going to Baja Prog....its tooo dang expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxo

Where are ya'll located???? I know I'll be in Chicago the first of May. I have a few connections there.
    We're based out of Chattanooga TN

Don't do what Debbie did in Dallas.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Sound of Contact at Reggies on May 2nd.

Suspended
    Try living in Perth (Australia). You won't complain ever again about the acts that bypass your town.

What must a girl do to get PROG to Texas???
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!