Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America - love it or leave it?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

America - love it or leave it?

It was only maybe a decade ago I learned that this act was from England. Yeah, they kinda borrowed their sound from CSN and Neal Young and their lyrics sometimes had one scratching their head (maybe in that way they borrowed from early Yes as well) but they did have some immaculately recorded and produced albums in the beginning. The first two albums (s/t and Homecoming) are pure folk/pop gold IMO, but the next two or three are kinda spotty and then after about '75 they turn to pop pap ala Air Supply. Its kinda funny that their output becomes a tad sketchy right around the same time George Martin started producing their music.

Any fans?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

When I was a kid I used to love to sing along to my older brothers America's Greatest Hits album (one of many) It's still brought up at family gatherings so for that reason the America tunes on this album will always give me a smile. I still think they are nice, catchy folk/pop tunes that hold up well. I'd be interested actually in checking out some of the songs outside this record. They're the only ones I know.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    There are more gems in their catalog than what made it to the History album, especially when you consider that someone thought that Muskrat Love was a greatest anything.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Homecoming is one of my favorite albums, by anyone.

One of the first albums I ever bought when I was a teenager was “History, America’s Greatest Hits”. I am not that familiar with their studio albums, but have always enjoyed their more well known stuff. They are a band I have always intended to explore further, but for some reason never have. Never seen them live either.

I like all of 'em up to Hideaway!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    One of the first albums I ever bought when I was a teenager was “History, America’s Greatest Hits”. I am not that familiar with their studio albums, but have always enjoyed their more well known stuff. They are a band I have always intended to explore further, but for some reason never have. Never seen them live either.
    America is, for me, the very definition of a "skip the hits" band. I would really suggest getting those first two albums and trying them out, and just ignore every song you've actually heard before

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    not liking America is simply un-American
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Never cared for them much. I remember all their hits and those songs have been tattooed on my brain. Horse With No Name was the first hit I remember. Just never felt like buying any of their records.

I always liked their "hits" and have the "30 Years Box", the KBFH disc, and a couple of boots

Overkill for sure based on the # of times I've spun them but a couple of times a year it's instant earworm when needed

If I could only pick one to dip a toe in, it'd be the KBFH - great sound, with all your favorites

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

From England? It's my understanding that they are Americans who's military fathers were stationed in England when they met. Or something along those lines.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    From England? It's my understanding that they are Americans who's military fathers were stationed in England when they met. Or something along those lines.
    Half American. All 3 of them had English mums and by the law of most countries (whereby mother's nationality determines) that makes them English. Two were born in the US, one was born in England, they grew up in the London area, and went to high school there, as their dads were all USAF based at an outer London RAF Station.

I read a story where they came over here and went to David Geffen's place to meet him and were greeted by a completely nude and unabashed Joni Mitchell. Welcome to America indeed!

Here's the link from Dan Peek's book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=P_g...tchell&f=false
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 03-23-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I read a story where they came over here and went to David Geffen's place to meet him and were greeted by a completely nude and unabashed Joni Mitchell. Welcome to America indeed!
    Well, it's a good thing they weren't a band that came along in the 2010's, then.

AMERICA were a "gateway" band for me between bubblegum and "serious" music. When I was a little kid '69 or '70 I started with Jackson 5, Osmonds, Partridge Family, etc and by '72 I was listening to AMERICA. Had all their albums and dug them up until "Hearts". Then I discovered Elton John and after that Led Zep, Pink Floyd, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post

Here's the link from Dan Peek's book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=P_g...tchell&f=false
    Greeted by the Canadian ambassador:-)

I enjoy them, pretty radio friendly at the time. I still have their first album and a greatest hits, and still listen to them.

Now I have an earworm because of this thread.
    Ventura Highway......in the sunshine. I wanna rip my ears off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I wanna rip my ears off.
    ...presumably while riding cross the desert on a horse with no name......the ear worm wars continue

Conventional warfare: Sandman
    Chemical warfare: A Horse with no Name
    Biological warfare: Ventura Highway
    Atomic warfare: Only in your Heart

And if your ears still aren't completely destroyed by those then there is always

Neutron bomb: Muskrat love.....AAAAGGGHHHHH.....HEEEEELLLLPPPP!
    Last edited by PeterG; 03-31-2014 at 05:33 AM.

They're last studio album was surprisingly good...I'd recommend it to any fans who skipped it...
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Suspended
    I used to have a couple of America albums on vinyl - think they were Hideaway and Harbor. I also had Homecoming on cassette.

I never got CD versions of those, but I did buy The Definitive America which has 23 of their songs including pretty much everything I consider essential, though I do miss "Another Try" from the Hideaway album. Overall it's a pretty consistent set of songs; there are two or three that I find a bit lame. A nice surprise is the Jimmy Webb song "The Last Unicorn", apparently written for America to be used in an animated fantasy film.

My favourite America songs:

A Horse With No Name
    I Need You
    Don't Cross the River
    Another Try
    God of the Sun
    Only In Your Heart
    Woman Tonight

One member (Dan Peek) left the band after rediscovering Christianity, and for some years was a successful figure on the Christian Rock circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
    They're
    Their is the possessive pronoun.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Their is the possessive pronoun.
    You should have quotes on "their."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You should have quotes on "their."
    No, quotes before and after the word, rather than on it.

About. Quotes about the word.