Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Albert Marcoeur

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Great Steve....that is the skinny and a half! Thanks man, much appreciated.
    You're very welcome.

And having breakfast with the man - too cool.
    In the pre-internet days, he knew I was responsible for his fanbase in North America; all 17 of us....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Thanks for the info. Although he doesn't really make it easy to order from his site, funny guy.
    You're right -his new site contains very little information in English . There used to be some notes on the songs and a few videos but I can't find them now. Also he used to include a code with each album which you could use to download a bonus track with each album. They were well worth having but they seem to have gone now. Also I found trying to add UK postage was difficult -in the drop down list there was no Engleterre nor Grand Bretagne -I eventually found you had to select 'Royaume-uni' I phrase I'd not heard before.

I've only seen him live once at a concert in Paris to announce his then latest album L'. The chat between numbers went over my head, but the music was fabulous and so precise -every odd little creak and scratch was reproduced faithfully on stage with perfect sound. Unlike most rock concerts every track was listed on a little program that was handed out as you went in. A great experience.

I heard a lot of Marceur stories from Ceric Vuille who is a close friend
    apparently the 2 brothers lived for many years in a house that was formally a train station
    that is were the studio was located too
    They recently sold it
    They live very frugally

I spun Armes Et Cycles again last night. It's so lovely. I only know four of his albums. I was turned into him fairly recently when that Cosa Brava album came out with a song about him on it, although his was a name I'd known about for a few years.
    Would I be right in thinking he doesn't really make bad records?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I spun Armes Et Cycles again last night. It's so lovely. I only know four of his albums. I was turned into him fairly recently when that Cosa Brava album came out with a song about him on it, although his was a name I'd known about for a few years.
    I've listened to almost everything in his discography and I must say I love it all almost uniformily. Perhaps the one I like the least is his latest one, but still in my book I consider it a great album.

I'm now curious to listen to this song about him in Cosa Brava, which I was not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Ummmmmm....at the risk of excommunication from the church 'o' Albert, he's made records that I excitedly got, played a few times, filed away and never have listened to again. YMMV.

None of them 'suck', but some of them have failed to engage me.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I've listened to almost everything in his discography and I must say I love it all almost uniformily. Perhaps the one I like the least is his latest one, but still in my book I consider it a great album.

I'm now curious to listen to this song about him in Cosa Brava, which I was not aware of.
    I agree that his catalog is consistently fantastic, and even as a classical musician I find his latest TRAVAUX PRATIQUES to be the most challenging for me. Is it his most radical even though its relatively tame (lots of string quartet accompaniment)? Hmmm....Possibly. Its just SO different. Maybe in this respect it is akin to the famous Morton Feldman anecdote in Darmstadt regarding Sibelius 5th symphony? Like Steve F was mentioning earlier when he saw the Sports et percussions gig, since all of the vocals are flying right over my head, I am definitely missing out on a large percentage of the impetus here. But then again, I enjoy Wagner's operas and don't know a stitch of German either. This album aside (for now), the rest are pure ear candy and all of an outrageously high quality and creativity

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I heard a lot of Marceur stories from Ceric Vuille who is a close friend
    apparently the 2 brothers lived for many years in a house that was formally a train station
    that is were the studio was located too
    They recently sold it
    They live very frugally
    Wow. Would this make a great documentary or what?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post

I've only seen him live once at a concert in Paris to announce his then latest album L'. The chat between numbers went over my head, but the music was fabulous and so precise -every odd little creak and scratch was reproduced faithfully on stage with perfect sound. Unlike most rock concerts every track was listed on a little program that was handed out as you went in. A great experience.
    Great - thanks for sharing.

chalkpie
    Yeah Udester - one of my favorite pieces from "Ma Vie"!! I love that piece too man!

Wow. Would this make a great documentary or what?
    It may have already been done! There a documentary on Dailymotion that shows Marcoeur's house and he's interviewed inside it. What he says is beyond me but maybe someone could give us the gist of it? Also the clip at the very beginning might well have come from the concert I attended -certainly the same band and its a track from L'.

I agree that his catalog is consistently fantastic, and even as a classical musician I find his latest TRAVAUX PRATIQUES to be the most challenging for me. Is it his most radical even though its relatively tame (lots of string quartet accompaniment)? Hmmm....Possibly. Its just SO different.
    This is exactly my feeling. I also agree with the idea that the lyrics are so important to the general context of his music that speaking some French is of great help in the great scheme of things. I can read some French, but still I'm unable to get most of the subtleties he is delivering.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    It may have already been done! There a documentary on Dailymotion that shows Marcoeur's house and he's interviewed inside it. What he says is beyond me but maybe someone could give us the gist of it? Also the clip at the very beginning might well have come from the concert I attended -certainly the same band and its a track from L'.
    I must check this! Thanks for the tip!

I LOVE THIS
    Udi

me too, BUT:

Even though it appears on Ma Vie Avec Elles, it is actually the non-lp single from Joseph. I bought it as a 7" when Joseph came out and it features the same graphic design and etc.

Which is why (imo) it's so much better than anything else on Ma Vie Avec Elles.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I LOVE THIS
    Me too, Thanx for posting - I suddenly remembered that I have this 7", and its very long times since I played it !

I have it too on 7",
    is it any different (apart for the cut in the middle to flip sides)?
    Long time since I played it (my record player is broken )

I dont know - I have a turntable problem too, it needs a new belt, and they are nor produced anymore - and I have been lazy.
    But logic makes me assume that the video must be the same as the 7".

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I have it too on 7",
    is it any different (apart for the cut in the middle to flip sides)?
    Long time since I played it (my record player is broken )
    Its exactly the same as the 7".

Anyone who loves Albert and is on Facebook is welcome to join our Avant Progressive group
    I have posted there a couple of Albert clips from the 70's that I have
    Cedric passed them along to albert and I heard they had fun watching them
    btw
    The joint cassette with This Heat Deux Lions Au Soleil is also swell

The joint cassette with This Heat Deux Lions Au Soleil is also swell
    Definetely, but I far preferred the Marceour side. And allways wished it would have been much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Definetely, but I far preferred the Marceour side. And allways wished it would have been much longer.
    Likewise, but this is a real rarity only ever available on a limited issue cassette. With all the bonus tracks he used to offer there's enought for a CD length release and I supect there's much more in his archive. He seems to have done a lot of film and theatre pieces over the years which are mentioned in his website notes and on that peculiar set of animations on the 'm,a,r, et coeur' CD. I'd love to see all these made available in some format, maybe as downloads from CDbaby as his other stuff is there? But I suspect he's too much of a perfectionist to let anything out that doesn't meet his own high standards.

I found one track on the tube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a189Zc1a50o

Like maybe being called the French "Don Henley" or something...,.
    Track 4 "Linge Sale"
    "Dirty Laundry"??? He is the French Don Henley!!!

chalkpie

How great is this track? Listen to the amount of detail with the brass/etc etc towards the end with that great lively groove - that is just brilliant and exciting arranging - a feast for the ears and mind - all of those textures and timbres getting thrown your way, but with a groove to die for going on too. Love this guy so much.