Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Albert Marcoeur

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I have the book but alas, no french
    I am not sure its an autobiography?
    Seems like random musings followed by silly graphics curtesy of Plonk Replonk.
    The book itself is quite thin in size, so a biography is out of the question (heck, just the stories of some of the recording sessions from his website could fill a bigger book)
    I haven't got the book in my hands yet. I was just curious to hear the opinion of someone who has already read it.

By the way, any love for "plusieurs cas de figures"? It might be my favorite Marcoeur release overall, together with "Ma vie avec elles".

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    TheH: I hope you get on board brother, or at the very least begin to recognize that this guy is the true genius that we keep blabbing on about here. Aside from the vocals (which would seem to be the most challenging part of his music - and I personally love), I can't see what there is not to love here.
    Hmmm.. Seems like my taste and listening habits changed a lot in last 20 years, as I had absolutley no Problem
    to digest the debut LP now. I can appreciate the compositions as such, but I don't like the instrumentation
    on this album very much.

I was encouraged enough to sample some track from Armes & Cycles which I really loved. I really needed that more rock Setting. I also sampled some more recent stuff and although less Rock I liked that too.

So thank you and Mr. Scroty for encouraging me to give him a Chance.

Now I have the problem that almost all his stuff seems to be OOP.

I also think his vocals are very pleasant. He might not be perfect but I like his
    singing style in a similar way I like Battiato for example.
    Last edited by TheH; 01-23-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH
    I was encouraged enough to sample some track from Armes & Cycles which I really loved. I really needed that more rock Setting.
    I may be in the minority on this, but for my ears Marcoeur is one of the few artists who got progressively better and better over time at least up until the mid-1990s. Early stuff is a little too eccentric even for me, though there were moments of sublimity to be found on each record. Then came the wonderful "Armes & Cycles", and then a couple of masterpieces in the 1980s and 1990s such as "Celui Ou Y'A Joseph" and "Ma Vie Avec Elles".

I love the Battiato comparison BTW. Both seminal musical personalities, creating sound worlds uniquely theirs with little or no resemblance to anything else that was (or is) around.
    Last edited by Levgan; 01-23-2015 at 06:56 PM.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post

By the way, any love for "plusieurs cas de figures"? It might be my favorite Marcoeur release overall, together with "Ma vie avec elles".
    I don't own "plusieurs" and "m, a, r et cœur comme cœur" - so never heard those two. I love the rest, of course the first four and "Ma vie" might be my fav's but honestly the more I hear everything by this guy I love it more and more.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Hmmm.. Seems like my taste and listening habits changed a lot in last 20 years, as I had absolutley no Problem
    to digest the debut LP now. I can appreciate the compositions as such, but I don't like the instrumentation
    on this album very much.

I was encouraged enough to sample some track from Armes & Cycles which I really loved. I really needed that more rock Setting. I also sampled some more recent stuff and although less Rock I liked that too.

So thank you and Mr. Scroty for encouraging me to give him a Chance.

I also think his vocals are very pleasant. He might not be perfect but I like his
    singing style in a similar way I like Battiato for example.
    Glad to hear it man - that's progress! Interesting comment regarding the instrumentation on the s/t album - what exactly isn't doin' it for you? He has a great ear (obviously) for percussion and he uses it brilliantly IMO.

If you do downloads, CD Baby has all of his albums available as FLACS for $10 US each. I might order the two albums I don't own, even though I would much rather have the actual discs.

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/AlbertMarcoeur

I don't own "plusieurs" and "m, a, r et cœur comme cœur" - so never heard those two. I love the rest, of course the first four and "Ma vie" might be my fav's but honestly the more I hear everything by this guy I love it more and more.
    "Plusieurs" is full of great melodies. It is possibly the most melodic album in his career, IMO, but in a way that only Marcoeur is able to deliver. If you read French, the texts are also very clever and funny. As a self-declared fan, you should definitely give it a try.

Not exactly true. You can order everything he released (except for Sports et Percussions, which hasn't been re-released on cd) directly from his website www.marcoeur.com

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    I may be in the minority on this, but for my ears Marcoeur is one of the few artists who got progressively better and better over time at least up until the mid-1990s.
    I tend to agree with that, so you are not alone :-)

I tend to agree with that, so you are not alone :-)
    Thirded, though honestly- I love them all!
    Somehow I do tend to return to Plusiers the most-
    On the one hand it is probably his most accessible,
    On the other hand it still is very Marcoeurian in style, witty and playfull, minimal and complex at the same time.
    I even managed to turn on some "normal" people on Marcoeur with this album

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars
    Somehow I do tend to return to Plusiers the most-
    On the one hand it is probably his most accessible,
    On the other hand it still is very Marcoeurian in style, witty and playfull, minimal and complex at the same time.
    This is one of the few albums that I haven't heard - don't think Moscow stores used to carry it, though I have bought 6 or 7 titles right here, without having to order online. Reading praises in this thread, I'm now fully convinced that I need to get it somehow.

chalkpie
    Does anybody have the skinny on "Sports Et Percussions"?

Does anybody have the skinny on "Sports Et Percussions"?
    I saw him do that work; what do you mean by 'the skinny'?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I saw him do that work; what do you mean by 'the skinny'?
    Sorry - I mean there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on what this album is all about, or at least I can't find much. Never heard a whole lot of discussion on it, either. Not that Prog Archives is the "Bible" of prague by any stretch, but it's oddly missing from his discography there as well. Weird.

Any info is greatly appreciated Mr. F, plus I would LOVE to hear what this gig was like! Danka sir.

OK, now I understand.

So, I went to the Victoriaville Festival in something like 1994 or so specifically to see him. I felt it was going to be my only chance (this is a decade before I actually went to France) and I took it.

He did the entire album plus other stuff. What you have to understand is that in addition to the great music, really, Albert is all about the language. If you aren't a French speaker (I'm not), you can't catch a big part of what is going on, as I saw as I watched all the Francophones around me laughing uproariously at things that were sung or said, and leaving me half unclear what exactly was going on.

The basic idea if I understood it correctly, is drawing parallels between competitive sports and music. It was quite witty, and even if I missed the point of a lot of it, I was able to get some of the 'material' via pantomime. There was a great bit with him and his 2 brothers all on drums, as racing car sounds played, and they were 'racing each other' on the drumkits, racing past each other, trying to bump each other off of the racing track (the stage), etc. All done solely by pantomime and by drumming. It was quite funny and quite fucking brilliant.

I think it's one of his best 'post the 1st four' albums, so I was very happy to see the show, to meet Albert and to have breakfast with him the next day [My Breakfast With Albert].

The thing that was the biggest revelation to me, which shows you what a dim bulb I can be, was seeing how he got that trademarked 'Albert Marcouer drumkit sound', which consisted of 3 guys all playing drum kits and all playing simple, complementary patterns, which made the whole sound not hyper-complex, but wonderful and HUGE.

Frankie, hope this helps.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 01-24-2015 at 10:14 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

If you do downloads, CD Baby has all of his albums available as FLACS for $10 US each. I might order the two albums I don't own, even though I would much rather have the actual discs.

http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/AlbertMarcoeur
    $10.00 for FLACs is a good deal. I highly recommend it for someone whose stuff is so hard to find (and this said from someone who carried his stuff for years and years until it just became financially unfeasible for us to do so....)
    Last edited by Steve F.; 01-24-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Glad to hear it man - that's progress! Interesting comment regarding the instrumentation on the s/t album - what exactly isn't doin' it for you? He has a great ear (obviously) for percussion and he uses it brilliantly IMO.
    Just a matter of personal taste. I simply prefer Guitars, Keyboards and real Drums over Whistles, Bird Calls
    and Bottles any day.

Not exactly true. You can order everything he released (except for Sports et Percussions, which hasn't been re-released on cd) directly from his website www.marcoeur.com
    Thanks for the info. Although he doesn't really make it easy to order from his site, funny guy.

Thank you Steve for that great review, it was fun reading it,
    I wish I could see him in rock settings (these days he is touring with a strings quartet) and also I could relate to the feeling of the french audience laughing out loud while the joke goes over my head and bumps on the language barrier...

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Thank you Steve for that great review, it was fun reading it,
    I wish I could see him in rock settings (these days he is touring with a strings quartet) and also I could relate to the feeling of the french audience laughing out loud while the joke goes over my head and bumps on the language barrier...
    You're welcome. I enjoyed writing it b/c it made me remember the show better (and it was a long time ago!)

The band, btw, was small; the 3 Marcoeur brothers, and Stefan Salerni and Francois Ovide on guitars and bass.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    OK, now I understand.

So, I went to the Victoriaville Festival in something like 1994 or so specifically to see him. I felt it was going to be my only chance (this is a decade before I actually went to France) and I took it.

He did the entire album plus other stuff. What you have to understand is that in addition to the great music, really, Albert is all about the language. If you aren't a French speaker (I'm not), you can't catch a big part of what is going on, as I saw as I watched all the Francophones around me laughing uproariously at things that were sung or said, and leaving me half unclear what exactly was going on.

The basic idea if I understood it correctly, is drawing parallels between competitive sports and music. It was quite witty, and even if I missed the point of a lot of it, I was able to get some of the 'material' via pantomime. There was a great bit with him and his 2 brothers all on drums, as racing car sounds played, and they were 'racing each other' on the drumkits, racing past each other, trying to bump each other off of the racing track (the stage), etc. All done solely by pantomime and by drumming. It was quite funny and quite fucking brilliant.

I think it's one of his best 'post the 1st four' albums, so I was very happy to see the show, to meet Albert and to have breakfast with him the next day [My Breakfast With Albert].

The thing that was the biggest revelation to me, which shows you what a dim bulb I can be, was seeing how he got that trademarked 'Albert Marcouer drumkit sound', which consisted of 3 guys all playing drum kits and all playing simple, complementary patterns, which made the whole sound not hyper-complex, but wonderful and HUGE.

Frankie, hope this helps.
    Thank you very much for your description, Steve. I really wish to be able to see him live at least once.

By the way, it seems Sports an Percussions is his only CD that hasn't been re-released on cd yet. Does anyone know what is the reason for that?

Some "Sports Et Percussions" and you can order this CD on his Website (also shown in the Video)

Some "Sports Et Percussions" and you can order this CD on his Website (also shown in the Video)

Unfortunately the cd is listed on his website but not available for purchase. Great video, thanks!

^^

There is one on discogs for 99 EUR

chalkpie
    Great Steve....that is the skinny and a half! Thanks man, much appreciated. Great story with the drumkits....I wonder if this stuff exists on video somewhere? Looks like I'm gonna D/L that album from CD baby. And having breakfast with the man - too cool.

chalkpie
    Does anybody know if there exists a list of live gigs through the years with a list of musicians in each band? I tried searching but came up empty. Thx.