Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chicago V- an Underrated Masterpiece!!

They've released a few new songs online that have more of a vintage feel. Here's the latest, a pretty nice Lamm song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoCxCYSuYkg

One of the best albums in music history. Love this to pieces. V, II and III are my favorite Chicago trio. Every tune is amazing, but Goodbye and Now That You're Gone are especially great. Cetera's bass playing here is just off the charts
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

I was surprised to read that Kath sometimes played bass on the recordings. Their producer was also a bassist and occasionally played the odd track. On VII they both fill in quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I was surprised to read that Kath sometimes played bass on the recordings. Their producer was also a bassist and occasionally played the odd track. On VII they both fill in quite a bit.
    What was Cetera doing when Kath or Guercio played bass???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    He was practicing on front of a mirror his crooner, schmaltz act.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Chicago VII was a bit more splintered in terms of workflow--it wasn't the whole band working on every track together.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm actually kind of curious to hear VI though, since it seems to be a favorite here. To be fair I really haven't heard that album in probably 40 years. All I remember was being really disappointed with it.
    In my opinion there's no need to revisit it. Everything Chicago are worth of, are albums I, II, III and V. They lost the spark with VI.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    To me Chicago lost it long before Terry died.
    I agree. I can't believe it was all the executives wanting them to produce hits because they had many hits before and didn't lose it until later on. I think it may have been disagreements within the band and perhaps like many artists they felt as though they wanted to try different things.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    In my opinion there's no need to revisit it. Everything Chicago are worth of, are albums I, II, III and V. They lost the spark with VI.
    I agree. I did play most of VI on youtube last week and I got very nostalgic over it. The songs aren't bad but as a whole it just sounded so light. Whatever "heavy-ness" they had they left it all behind them. When I say "heavy" in the context of this band I don't mean guitar heavy, I mean heavy in the sense of how they produced their albums, and that jammy, jazzy looseness they had before album 6. Plus, the album opener "Critic's Choice" was a voice/piano solo thing by Robert Lamm. Not a bad song but why open the album with that? You know, if I ever see it cheap I might get it anyway. It was a disappointing album but it had some very good songs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I agree. I can't believe it was all the executives wanting them to produce hits because they had many hits before and didn't lose it until later on. I think it may have been disagreements within the band and perhaps like many artists they felt as though they wanted to try different things.
    Well, Chicago loved pop obviously. I remember reading an interview with Robert Lamm years ago where he said that they always wanted to be "The Beatles with horns." I really loved all those pop songs they did on the early albums but those were scattered throughout the albums amongst all that jazz/rock heavyness, and the extended, symphonic suites. Once they went all pop, all (or most of) the time I jumped ship.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Agreed with whoever posted that XXX is the nadir. Though it has a slow half and a fast half, and the latter is more listenable.
    In other words, it's a half-fast album.

How is the Live In Japan? I was thinking about getting this.

^^^ It isn't quite as ferocious a performance as Carnegie, but the setlist is awesome and the sound is crystal.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Jon Neudorf
    In the '70s I started with X and XI. After that I stopped, don't recall why and never explored their back catalogue. Last year I picked up II and on a recent trip acquired V, VI and VII. Have some listening to do.

Regards,
    Jon

I have been listening to miles Davis lately and I can hear his influences in many of Chicago tracks.

I've relistened to it two weeks ago, and it's quite a good album.... I'd probably place it on par if it had vbeen a double album, like CTA, s/t, 3 and 7
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.