Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: A Passion Play / Chateau D'Isaster - Steven Wilson 5.1 mix to be released June 13

Yep, says in the liner notes that IA approved removing the flute overdubs that were applied 20 years after the recordings were made. What you have here is the Chateau Tapes as they were when Tull jumped on the plane back to England (paraphrasing what was written in the liner notes).

I can understand it if you don't like this choice, but please get your facts straight ...

When I read the Wilson version would leave off Ian's Nightcap flute overdubs I didn't think I'd like it, but I actually like both versions of the Chateau D'Isaster sessions...it's like having 2 witnesses to a crime...the stories overlap but there are interesting differences
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I broke down and got this. The Chateau stuff is indeed great! The remix of the Passion Play album is interesting, but I think I like the original better. Thankfully, that's included as a flat transfer from the original stereo masters.

The thing that struck me was the absolutely incredible wellspring of music that Ian Anderson (primarily) and his bandmates were back then. Thick as a Brick, Chateau, and Passion Play conceived in such a short time? Damn! He was in his early twenties, too! The run of records from Stand Up through A is really one of the best runs any group has ever had. They were so good, that they actually threw away a classic, the Chateau stuff! That album, had it been released, would have been one of their best!

I also love Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond's bass lines! They seem perfectly orchestrated with Barre's guitars and Barlowe's percussion. Does anyone know if these were written out for him, or did he come up with this stuff on his own!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 11-21-2014 at 11:00 AM.

^^^
    I'm glad I bought it. It's a great set! I ordered the Warchild set as well. It's interesting to look at the tour log in the book.
    They played a hockey rink in my hometown on that tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I also love Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond's bass lines! They seem perfectly orchesrtated with Barre's guitars and Barlowe's percussion. Does anyone know if these were written out for him, or did he come up with this stuff on his own!
    I don't know... the general wisdom seems to be that Ian and Martin came up with most of the bass lines and taught them to him rote but I have to think that by this time he was good enough to figure things out on his own. Anyway they are often so weird that I have to think that they are the product of someone who knows just enough about his instrument to be dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I don't know... the general wisdom seems to be that Ian and Martin came up with most of the bass lines and taught them to him rote but I have to think that by this time he was good enough to figure things out on his own.
    I've never been sure how big a grain of salt to take with Ian's story about teaching Jeffrey all of his parts "parrot fashion." He likes to imply that Jeffrey was a complete non-musician before Tull, but of course Jeffrey had played with Ian in the Blades/John Evan Band in the mid-60s.

He really does a great job of filling out the sound and very rarely takes the root. Doesn't play anything particularly hard, but always "right" and interesting.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I bought this and I like it, I'm not a Tull nut so honestly I'm not noticing any of the changes. I've loaded Chateau up on my iPod as a separate album rather than a second disc of PP bonus material.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The extended version of foot of the stairs has become my fave part of the album. That extra minute is awesome. Not sure why they left it out. Side 2 is great. Audition, left right, big top, sailor, anime lee sound excellent remixed. I added these 5 plus look at the animals as bonus tracks on my iPod. I also removed the hare lol

I listened Chateau sessions and the remixed PP again last night. I have to say, that I didn't notice, upon casual listening, a huge difference on PP except for the added "Foot of the Stairs" section. I think that the chief reason to buy CD reissues is for bonus material or to replace scratchy vinyl. Tull reissues give you lots of extra goodies, but the sonic improvements are minimal, to me! There's a fair amount of music on the Chateau sessions that would blossom more fully on A Passion Play, so I have to revise my thoughts that the Chateau sessions would have been a classic on its own. If you strip away the music that was handled better on Passion Play or War Child, the Chateau sessions are revealed to contain some bright gems amongst some undeveloped gravel! Interesting, but not really up to snuff as a whole work. There's a lot of analog synth on it, too, which sounds very out of character and somewhat pasted on. Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond's bass is also fuzzed up on a couple of tunes which I've never heard from him before. I like his pure tone much better.

Still, though, this is one great package! I must confess to being really confused about all of the different formats available and whether I even have the equipment to play them! For example, what do you need to play the 96/24 PCM stereo stuff? My Blu/Ray player plays it, but by the time it goes through my amp, I'm sure I'm losing all that extra fidelity. Oh well!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 11-24-2014 at 05:08 PM.

How would you rate the 5.1 of APP?

OK, now I've listened to the 5.1 versions. I don't have a great system, but man, they sound very good and it's a whole new listening experience! The Chateau sessions benefit most from this, primarily because I'm not used to the stereo version like I am with Passion Play. I would say these 5.1 versions are a necessity only if you're truly nuts about these albums. I am! I'm glad I have 'em!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 11-24-2014 at 05:09 PM.

This is such a priceless gem and I've waited years for this to be released. I used to go on and on about how fine it would be if Steve Wilson came on board to re-mix the Chateau sessions years ago and wow!...Here it is...the most bizarre Jethro Tull album in history! I recall a few songs that turned up on Warchild that were actually written during the Chateau sessions and now Steve Wilson has now remixed Warchild as well. This entire period of about 2 and a half to 3 years of Jethro Tull recordings is the most bizarre theatrical material I've ever heard from them. This is golden and a proggers dream. Ever wonder if Tull entered Gentle Giant territory or any bizarre sounding progressive area at all? This is it! It's amazing and very timeless.