Thread: Sellin' off vinyl

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Sellin' off vinyl

Grabbed a couple handfuls of prog vinyl today and sold them at the local struggling vinyl shop. I felt like was selling my children, but since I haven't had a turntable in ages and these LPs had narrow scrapes with a damp basement, I thought best to get them out where others could enjoy them and they'd be safe. Some good stuff I know I could have got more on eBay for - Jap gatefold Floyd, UK gatefold Genesis, etc. but nice to get rid of some clutter and have a couple hundred extra bucks in my pocket.

Still, sigh...

Actually, even UK first pressings of Genesis aren't commanding such high prices at the moment.

^ Good, I'm glad to hear it!

I have to do the same thing.... my procrastination is never ending though. I agree, I would rather get rid of them now while there is a vinyl fad going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I have to do the same thing.... my procrastination is never ending though. I agree, I would rather get rid of them now while there is a vinyl fad going on.
    I definitely made more per disk than I did when I sold off most of my vinyl in the late 80s/early 90s. The guy at the store said he actually gets more interest in less expensive LPs than in the higher end imports, etc. He said people just want the simple releases on vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I definitely made more per disk than I did when I sold off most of my vinyl in the late 80s/early 90s. The guy at the store said he actually gets more interest in less expensive LPs than in the higher end imports, etc. He said people just want the simple releases on vinyl.
    Whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Whoa.
    It makes sense, though. A lot of well-respected stuff gets the 180g vinyl treatment, but if you want, for instance, Randy Vanwarmer's "Terraform," which I sold, you have to find an original release.

Grabbed a couple handfuls of prog vinyl today and sold them at the local struggling vinyl shop. I felt like was selling my children, but since I haven't had a turntable in ages and these LPs had narrow scrapes with a damp basement, I thought best to get them out where others could enjoy them and they'd be safe. Some good stuff I know I could have got more on eBay for - Jap gatefold Floyd, UK gatefold Genesis, etc. but nice to get rid of some clutter and have a couple hundred extra bucks in my pocket.

Still, sigh...
    I luv ya Dr., but your breaking my heart. Now go back to that store and demand your vinyl back. You can tell them it was a medical condition and you lost control. Or, just send them all to me.
    The older I get, the better I was.

As a vinyl enthusiast and collector, I'd love a chance to buy some of your old LP's.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    As a vinyl enthusiast and collector, I'd love a chance to buy some of your old LP's.
    I'm trying to avoid the whole part of having to ship them, collect payment etc. I just don't really have time. I have tons of less revered junk that I need to get rid of, so taking this stuff to a used record store was a good way for me to go.

When I look through what's left, I'll try to post a short list of the best stuff on the trade board if I can.

Still, sigh...
    Just a couple of hundred more, and you can buy a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, so you won't have to sell the rest of your collection.

And then you'd be able to rediscover just how much music is buried in those grooves.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Just like a lot of people are getting rid of their vinyl there are people getting rid of turntables which means you could pick one up and still enjoy your collection. I found a nice vintage Pioneer on Craig's list for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    Just like a lot of people are getting rid of their vinyl there are people getting rid of turntables which means you could pick one up and still enjoy your collection. I found a nice vintage Pioneer on Craig's list for a good price.
    Most if not all of what I had on vinyl I've had on CD for ages. All the vinyl I just sold I have on CD, including the boots.