Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benoit David Leaves Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by lwpmedia View Post
    Would anyone like to say something nice about Benoit -- his work on FLY FROM HERE was laudable.... and his first few tours with YES were commendable, too!
    I love “Fly From Here” and think his work on it is great. I saw the Benoit version of Yes live twice. The first time was at a big outdoor shed venue with Asia opening. It was a good, but I would not say great Yes show. The second time I saw the Benoit version of the band, was the tour just before “Fly From Here” came out and just before Geoff Downes returned. This show was in a large club / theater venue and I thought they kicked ass for the most part. I thought Benoit seemed much more comfortable on stage at this point and his voice was fine all night. I don’t have any Mystery albums, nor have I seen them live, so can’t really compare.

Guess that leaves us to ponder the Mystery of it all...

The second time I saw the Benoit version of the band, was the tour just before “Fly From Here” came out and just before Geoff Downes returned. This show was in a large club / theater venue and I thought they kicked ass for the most part. I thought Benoit seemed much more comfortable on stage at this point and his voice was fine all night.
    This pretty much describes the one time I saw Yes with Mr. David. It was one of the very last shows with Oliver and it was a really good show. David sounded fine at that point; he sang really well that night.

I have all three of the Mystery rekkids with David. Their sound as a band is a bit homogenized, but all three of those albums are excellent, with One Among The Living standing a nose ahead of the other two.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I want to thank Benoit again for getting the good ship YES out of the mothballs and watching that version of YES get going again. He was a genuine guy who certainly did not deserve all the negativity from many "old-timers" who didn't even bother to see a new YES-show from beyond the 70's or based that incarnation on some you-tube clips and no, I'm not talking about vest selection or the whirling rubbish routine. ;-) Let's face it, the guy was doing something many of us would love to do/be involved with YES but often it was a difficult situation having to deal with so many idiots and Steve and Chris wanting to keep shuttle him away after shows. I remember how he he interacted with one particular YESfan after a Westbury show where the guy told him he had some big shoes to fill. Benoit lifted up his foot and told him he had his own shoes to fill. The guy sang on a YES album. That's saying something for this YESfan. I certainly enjoyed him singing in his own element/voice with Mystery. Thank you, Benoit!

Did someone mention NDV? Played drums on latest album.Can he replace David with his vocals? Just something to ponder…

Jon Neudorf
    Really dig me some Mystery and the vocals, for me, have always been a strong part of the band. Hope David has success in whatever life brings his way.

Will be interesting to hear their new vocalist.

Regards,
    Jon

Banned
    Rumor : Benoit takes Jon's place in Glass Hammer.

2c re Mystery... for the next release please, please add more bottom end in mastering. Antoine F bass lines deserve more presence. Game is sounding too flat (given the modern nature of material, rather than retro). Guitars are superbly layred tho... Sad to see Benoit go, he was such a characteristic part of Mystery. I'd love to see someone with Einar Solberg abilities there as a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [My kid asked me last night if they were in the RnR HOF yet. Ha! ]

Tell him(or her)that even YES isn't in the RRHOF yet so that would be a no.
    Yeah, we were having a whole conversation about who's NOT in there. She just froze, wide-eyed, and in disbelief when I said "no" to YES! It's all very confusing to an 11 year old... Her inductees list starts with Yes, Deep Purple, Cheap Trick, and King Crimson. What a weirdo!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Saw Benoit both with Mystery (at FMPM) and with Yes. While I enjoyed his time as frontman of Yes (and I have subsequently seen Jon D. with Yes, which I enjoyed even more), he really impressed when I saw him with Mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I want to thank Benoit again for getting the good ship YES out of the mothballs and watching that version of YES get going again. He was a genuine guy who certainly did not deserve all the negativity from many "old-timers" who didn't even bother to see a new YES-show from beyond the 70's or based that incarnation on some you-tube clips and no, I'm not talking about vest selection or the whirling rubbish routine. ;-) Let's face it, the guy was doing something many of us would love to do/be involved with YES but often it was a difficult situation having to deal with so many idiots and Steve and Chris wanting to keep shuttle him away after shows. I remember how he he interacted with one particular YESfan after a Westbury show where the guy told him he had some big shoes to fill. Benoit lifted up his foot and told him he had his own shoes to fill. The guy sang on a YES album. That's saying something for this YESfan. I certainly enjoyed him singing in his own element/voice with Mystery. Thank you, Benoit!
    Well said!! Great post. I thought he was a great fit for Yes and he seemed like a terrific guy too. His work on Fly From Here was fantastic. And when I saw him perform live with Yes (a couple years into his stint with them) his voice was confident and clear...and I remember thinking "this is the new Yes." He really sold me. I was pretty bummed when I heard the reports of his voice starting to slip and his ultimate departure from the band. When I saw him, he killed it. Whatever he does from here, I wish him success & happiness.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Saw Benoit both with Mystery (at FMPM) and with Yes. While I enjoyed his time as frontman of Yes (and I have subsequently seen Jon D. with Yes, which I enjoyed even more), he really impressed when I saw him with Mystery.
    Agree, Mystery with Benoit was excellent at ROSfest.
    Last edited by Firth; 03-17-2014 at 10:17 PM.

This thread inspired me to buy "The World Is A Game" at last. Of the three Mystery albums with Benoit, I think this is both their tightest and their strongest. I always felt the two previous albums had golden moments on them but there were also places where the momentum tended to flag. Not this album. I dug it from start to finish. Even the slow spots had some punch. I'm looking forward to the next one.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Announced recently that Jean Pageau from Quebec will be the new vocalist.Any info on Mystery new voice?

I'm surprised Roddenberry hasn't chimed in here yet. I know Michel and to a lesser extent Benoit, but Robert knows both well and probably has all the info on this new singer....

Funny thing is, the only time I've ever seen Benoit live was during his Close To The Edge trib band days...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

They've just hired a sound-a-like guy named Jon Anderson to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Announced recently that Jean Pageau from Quebec will be the new vocalist.Any info on Mystery new voice?
    Looks like he has been in some tribute bands. And he wears a headscarf a lot. Here are a couple videos of him:

This 5 minute video shows the new vocalist rehearsing with the band on several older Mystery tunes. As is par for the course with this band, the "rehearsal" (only their 2nd one with the singer) sounds totally polished and he fits right in. Apparently they're starting work on a new studio CD, although it sounds like they'll be releasing a live double-CD from Benoit David shows later this year. Good to see they're carrying on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-Y0...ature=youtu.be

Benoit was not the first singer the band had, so it would figure he wouldn't be the last.

this guy has a pretty damn good voice. Bravo for the band!

Anderson, Benoit, Davidson & Horn.... An evening of YES music plus.

I wonder if he's considered a friend by the band and that Chris, Steve or Alan might phone him up, out of the blue, for a chat, ask his opinion on a new track or two or just to see how he's doing? He seemed like a really nice chap.

Oh yeah. I'm sure that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Oh yeah. I'm sure that happens.
    My sarcas-o-meter just went deep into the red!

YES - a band that doesn't know the meaning of the word acrimony (yes, I'm coming, Gepetto).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman