Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Led Zep reissues..

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I was referring to the "bonus" ("penalty"?) tracks.
    Oh my bad. Carry on.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Pass. I love Zeppelin but I've bought the first three albums at least three times in 40 years (vinyl, cassette, CD). I'm happy with the original CDs, and the DVDs (Unleaded-Page/Plant, Led Zeppelin, Celebration Day). Never saw them live but they were the first heavy band I really got into. I'd heard Cream and Blue Cheer before Zep but Zep really took hold of me. I dropped playing horns and got an electric guitar because of Jimmy Page.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Pass. I love Zeppelin but I've bought the first three albums at least three times in 40 years (vinyl, cassette, CD). I'm happy with the original CDs, and the DVDs (Unleaded-Page/Plant, Led Zeppelin, Celebration Day)..
    Yeah, but we're dealing with a PE crowd that has rebought every generation rekkid of Genesis and Yes' classic albums...

Even me , I've rebought the Genesis 70's four times (still own three versions), Crimson's three or four times (deoending which albums).... Whoile I've only bought Yes and Zep's's first five twice as well (never saw the need to own from PG onwards in CD >> made a CD-r comp)- in the latter two groups' case, I was fortunate enough to have waited long enough to buy the proper CD version right from the start and have resisted new expanded versions.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

For me How the West Was Won and most parts of the DVD are the best representation of their strength

"when asked which performances from Led Zeppelin's career stand out to him now, he made reference to these gigs:
    I think what we did on ... How the West was Won – that 1972 gig – is pretty much a testament of how good it was. It would have been nice to have had a little more visual recordings, but there you go. That’s the conundrum of Led Zeppelin!"

^^^^

I'm afraid a certain Jimmy will be behind the sound desk (which not really an incentive for me to buy them again).... Maybe they (Zep) should call you for a much better job
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There's no No Quarter on HtWWW, what a shame. Although a lot of tracks from HotH included.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    "when asked which performances from Led Zeppelin's career stand out to him now, he made reference to these gigs:
    I think what we did on ... How the West was Won – that 1972 gig – is pretty much a testament of how good it was. It would have been nice to have had a little more visual recordings, but there you go. That’s the conundrum of Led Zeppelin!"
    I was at that gig 6/27/72 at the Long Beach Arena Ca. The whole band was on fire that night one of my most cherished shows.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    I was at that gig 6/27/72 at the Long Beach Arena Ca. The whole band was on fire that night one of my most cherished shows.
    Green with envy !!

I'm going to get these, vinyl deluxe edition. I seen no reason to splurge on the huge super whopper big K extra fries deluxe version complete with heroin residue and an empty vodka bottle. I think it will be interesting to see just what Mr. Page has dug up. Some of it looks quite interesting but I wonder how much of this material I already have on various boots.

I've got tons of live recordings from 68 through the reunion show and through 1975 they were consistently good. 77 tour was a roll of the dice. Some were awesome and then there are things like the 77 Seattle show, which I have on DVD as well. Not very good, I'm afraid. 79-80 shows are also very hit and miss. Of course, Live Aid, the Atlantic 40th and the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame are all problematic but the 07 reunion show was incredible.

There's also talk about a new Page album, which I would love to see happen. Jeff Beck has also made comments that he would like work with Page on a project. Now that these re-imagined Zep albums are done, perhaps Jimmy will get to work on some new music for a change. I'm not holding my breath.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I seen no reason to splurge on the huge super whopper big K extra fries deluxe version complete with heroin residue and an empty vodka bottle.
    How dare you. While Bonham would consume vodka (and everything else), Page was always a Jack Daniels man.

2098641780_581a956aeb_o.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    How dare you. While Bonham would consume vodka (and everything else), Page was always a Jack Daniels man.
    No wonder he was so burnt out. JD will strip the chrome off a trailor hitch.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, one reason it gets dissed is because of all the quasi music video stuff, which... is a bit tedious.
    yep, cringe worthy even

The non musical bits tend to drag a bit, too.
    god yes

The musical performances are pretty good.
    as has already been mentioned, some of those performances smoke the studio versions, imo.

Just was watching the Page&Plant, No Quarter DVD. God what an awesome performance. I can't believe it's 20 years old. Love that thing they do called "The Truth Explodes" and Jimmy's just going wild on that Les Paul. Killer .

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just was watching the Page&Plant, No Quarter DVD. God what an awesome performance. I can't believe it's 20 years old. Love that thing they do called "The Truth Explodes" and Jimmy's just going wild on that Les Paul. Killer .
    Agree & the drummer is awsome. Can't remember his name but he was in Little Angels I believe?

This thread has inspired me to pull out "How the West Was Won". This is a scorcher, and along with the BBC Sessions and the self-titled DVD is the only live Zep I need. I'll pass on the reissues if you're only getting more live stuff that I seriously doubt can compete with the aformentioned stuff I already have.

How the West was Won sounds absolutely terrible though if i remember correctly.As in the mastering, not the performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    How the West was Won sounds absolutely terrible though if i remember correctly.As in the mastering, not the performances.
    The bass guitar is very low in the mix, but that's the only problem I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    The bass guitar is very low in the mix, but that's the only problem I remember.
    I always considered that a problem with most of their original releases. I never heard Pages' remixes, but I never liked his ear for production.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

how many times does an album need "remastered" and what does that really mean anymore?

These look nice, but I simply don't need them. They'd be a good buy for a kid just getting into Zep though - if they aren't brickwalled to hell, that is!

I do like that they provide every option, for those who don't necessarily want some huge expensive bundle just to get the one disc they really want (COUGH Aqualung box)...

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/buy/
    Last edited by Progatron; 05-12-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    This thread has inspired me to pull out "How the West Was Won". This is a scorcher, and along with the BBC Sessions and the self-titled DVD is the only live Zep I need. I'll pass on the reissues if you're only getting more live stuff that I seriously doubt can compete with the aformentioned stuff I already have.
    There are some really awesome boots kicking around that will give you a more unfiltered, warts and all portrait of Zeppelin as a live band. There's a good amount of ProTools magic on the DVD and HTWWW.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Never undrestood why TSRTS was dissed as well... The movie was absolutely excellent (saw it a dozen times on friday nights at local second run theatres...
    I agree that the performances given were better then some people might say. But one of the main reasons TSRTS gets so much flak is what the band themselves have said about it- that they were tired and burnt out for the last few shows of a long tour, etc.

Add to that Plant's fantasy idea of a fantasy sequence and the result is a live performance album with an iffy reputation.

And to be honest, I was cruelly disappointed by the DVD (now almost a decade old).... If TSRTS build a myth (with all the imagery, it helped), that DVD dismantled it, ARAIC
    We part ways here though, I've said it many times around here, that DVD is the best slab of music $20 can buy. I do find that Royal Albert Hall section is way over-rated, but the Danmarks radio extra sessions blows everything else out of the water.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Agree & the drummer is awsome. Can't remember his name but he was in Little Angels I believe?
    Michael Lee (RIP). Great drummer! Also played with The Cult, Thin Lizzy (and even Echo & the Bunnymen !
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Yeah, Michael Lee was good. Very much alike Bonham, even better in parts. So enthusiastic he looked playing in Page/Plant band. Pity he left this world much too soon..