Page 2 of 194 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2014 NFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I think one problem they may have is a stigma surrounding the franchise for the last decade. They may not be able to attract A-list free agents even if they show them the money. Just look at the names swirling around the Broncos by comparison. The Broncos are seen a legit heirs to the AFC again next year so they're attracting a lot of guys looking for a ring in the next couple of years. The Raiders are years away from just being a .500 team.
    I agree with this. You see it all over the league. Cleveland has trouble attracting quality guys, but New England could sign whoever they want, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Looks like the Giants really screwed up. I still like the Jennings signing, but agree that the Hillis signing makes no sense. Barnwell really does make solid points.
    Yeah Barnwell knows better then Reese (2 SB trophies) what a well run franchise is?

Right.

Elsewhere, though, the Giants made decisions that really bring their scouting department into question. They signed a number of players they weren’t interested in for free 12 months ago to deals with real money involved. Take pass-rusher O’Brien Schofield. The Cardinals waived Schofield in July, which would have allowed the Giants to acquire him for $900,000. They passed, and the Seahawks claimed Schofield instead. He proceeded to play 144 defensive snaps as a backup end and linebacker, recording one sack and eight tackles amid a stacked front seven. Those snaps were enough, apparently, for the Giants to offer Schofield a two-year, $8 million deal on the opening day of free agency. If Schofield was really worth $4 million per year, why didn’t the Giants grab him for less than a million bucks when they had the opportunity in July? Could they really have been swayed that much by what he did in 144 snaps on the league’s best defense?
    How friggin stupid is this?

THERE WAS NO CAP ROOM LAST YEAR GENIUS! (for players like Schofield.)
    Make one move like that and it’s a scouting quirk. Make a handful and it’s a problem. The Giants also signed running back Rashad Jennings away from the Raiders on Tuesday. Terms aren’t yet disclosed, but Jennings noted that the Giants outbid the Raiders, who signed Jennings for $630,000 in the middle of April last year. Jennings was quietly impressive last year, but that came after four middling seasons with the Jaguars. Peyton Hillis was re-signed on a two-year deal for $1.8 million, because God knows you can’t find another running back who can average 3.4 yards per carry in the market for the league minimum or win a Super Bowl without Hillis’s presence in the locker room.
    Hillis is guaranteed 100K so if he sucks and they cut him he is a bargain against the cap. Jennings was ranked one of the top 2 RB free agents out there.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Yeah Barnwell knows better then Reese (2 SB trophies) what a well run franchise is?

Right.

How friggin stupid is this?

THERE WAS NO CAP ROOM LAST YEAR GENIUS! (for players like Schofield.)

Hillis is guaranteed 100K so if he sucks and they cut him he is a bargain against the cap. Jennings was ranked one of the top 2 RB free agents out there.
    Barnwell is definitely a superior NFL mind than Jerry Reese. Reese hasn't done a great job, all years considered.

He is correct that the Giants could have signed both Schofield and Jennings last year. Jenning's being highly rated had much to do with there being not much to pick from. As I stated earlier, I think Jennings is a pretty good signing, but it does bear reflecting that the guy did nothing before last year. So, basically, you're taking a running running back in his 6th year and hoping that his final 2-3 years of productivity (most running backs don't stay in the league longer than 8 years) are most like his career high than his four other years in the league.

Barnwell is definitely a superior NFL mind than Jerry Reese. Reese hasn't done a great job, all years considered.

He is correct that the Giants could have signed both Schofield and Jennings last year. Jenning's being highly rated had much to do with there being not much to pick from. As I stated earlier, I think Jennings is a pretty good signing, but it does bear reflecting that the guy did nothing before last year. So, basically, you're taking a running running back in his 6th year and hoping that his final 2-3 years of productivity (most running backs don't stay in the league longer than 8 years) are most like his career high than his four other years in the league.
    WTF!

Then why isn't he running an NFL frnachise, instead of wasting his time writing for Grantland?

Reese hasn't done a great job?

Unreal. 2 out of the last 6 SBs is not a great job? No he is not perfect, but only winning the Super Bowl every fucking year is enough to satisfy someone like you apparently.

And there was no cap room last year, so no, they could not have signed Schofield and Jennings.

Broncos going all in for the two year Manning Win Now Window:

Free agent defensive end DeMarcus Ware agreed to terms with the Denver Broncos Wednesday morning, during the first full day of free agency.

The NFL confirmed the deal via Twitter. ESPN reporter Adam Schefter tweeted that his sources said the deal was for three years and $30 million, including $20 million guaranteed.

Broncos agree to deals with Talib, Ward
    The Denver Broncos spent the first day of free agency bolstering their defensive backfield, agreeing to a four-year deal with Pro Bowl safety T.J. Ward (one site had him listed as the top FA safety) on Tuesday and then hours later reaching an agreement on a six-year contract with cornerback Aqib Talib.

Should help toughen up the defense. Plus we get a healthy Von Miller and Derek Wolf back. We still need a stud LB.

On offense Erik Decker will be lost, but they signed the up and coming receiver Andre 'Bubba' Caldwell, with two year deal, who was a good target for Manning at times and can expand his role. Not too worried about our other ball catchers, Welker and Demayrius Thomas, TE Julius Thomas, - not too bad and with the receiver friendly draft could add a decent rookie. Running backs? With promising Ball and Hillman and wildcard TJ Anderson..not too worried either even with losing Moreno who finally had his best season yet.
    Last edited by PindralProgger; 03-12-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Best/peace, Steve

I'm just waiting for one of the Broncos D players to proclaim this a "Dream Team" in order to watch it all come crumbling down!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

someone will open their mouth. It's inevitable.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

WTF!

Then why isn't he running an NFL frnachise, instead of wasting his time writing for Grantland?

Reese hasn't done a great job?

Unreal. 2 out of the last 6 SBs is not a great job? No he is not perfect, but only winning the Super Bowl every fucking year is enough to satisfy someone like you apparently.

And there was no cap room last year, so no, they could not have signed Schofield and Jennings.
    1) They absolutely had the money to sign both of those players last year.
    2) If you actually think that having personnel knowledge is the only factor to being an NFL GM, you're even more ignorant of the sport than your posts in here had led me to believe.

There are hundreds of fantasy baseball participants out there who know players better than most MLB GMs. But there is more to the job than just that, and one must have a certain pedigree to get one of those jobs.

I'm just waiting for one of the Broncos D players to proclaim this a "Dream Team" in order to watch it all come crumbling down!

Sort of already had that happen last year with the offense? (Record setting season then that one big game who's name I still can hardly mutter happened)

PS. Jealously does not become you, oh Raider cellar dweller.
    Best/peace, Steve

It's not really jealousy. I'm always leery of teams that stack up on high end free agents. You got a lot of "me" players when you just bring in an all-star team and that doesn't always bode well on the field. Just ask the Eagles!

PS: Revis Island is now available. Tell Elway to break out the check book again!

Darelle Revis has been released.

C'mon, Chip!!!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's not really jealousy. I'm always leery of teams that stack up on high end free agents. You got a lot of "me" players when you just bring in an all-star team and that doesn't always bode well on the field. Just ask the Eagles!
    Indeed.

Hmmm, suuuure.

For some reason, can't quite put my finger on it, my short term memory is still blocked, the Broncos seem to HAVE to make themselves look important/relevant again. Right! Now! And a shopping spree always helps!
    Best/peace, Steve

I agree with you. It's their time. Manning will start dropping off in the next couple of years. I think he'll be smart enough to walk away from the game and not have to be carried away from it. Broncos have got a lot of appeal right now so time to build a super team and take another shot. I didn't realize they had this much cap space. Elway seems to have the magic touch. As much as I hated the Broncos, I always had a lot of respect for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Darelle Revis has been released.

C'mon, Chip!!!
    A true prize if there ever was one, NOT!

Won't participate in any camps nor preseason games, get's "hurt", and then tries to wing it in games, plus he is "commanding" big bucks??? Save your money.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

1) They absolutely had the money to sign both of those players last year.
    2) If you actually think that having personnel knowledge is the only factor to being an NFL GM, you're even more ignorant of the sport than your posts in here had led me to believe.

There are hundreds of fantasy baseball participants out there who know players better than most MLB GMs. But there is more to the job than just that, and one must have a certain pedigree to get one of those jobs.
    1) BS

2) Exactly my point. Barnwell was not even taking the salary cap into consideration when he wrote his stupid column. To compare this hack Barnwell to Reese is beyond absurdity.

Why I am discussing this with a guy who actually wants to implement a fantasy football mentality to the New York Giants is the question I really need to consider....

I didn't realize they had this much cap space. Elway seems to have the magic touch. As much as I hated the Broncos, I always had a lot of respect for him.
    Thought I read like $18 million cap space and that doesn't count Chris Kuper who just retired the other day saving another $6 million, I think, and the release of Champ Bailey who was gong to be paid $10 million. $34 million total? I don't claim to understand it all.

Elway was a used car salesman after his QB days so he know how to wheel and deal!

And in these pics today he kinda looks like a used car salesman who needs out go out and have a Scotch...or maybe he already did!

Best/peace, Steve

1) BS

2) Exactly my point. Barnwell was not even taking the salary cap into consideration when he wrote his stupid column. To compare this hack Barnwell to Reese is beyond absurdity.

Why I am discussing this with a guy who actually wants to implement a fantasy football mentality to the New York Giants is the question I really need to consider....
    I never even used the words "fantasy football," much less stated a desire to implement fantasy football strategy.

Secondly, you are flatly wrong about the Giants' ability to sign free agents in 2013. The Giants signed NUMEROUS free agents in the 2013 free agent period, so your refrain that the Giants didn't have relative pocket change to spend on Rashad Jennings and Schofield is simply wrong. Go look it up - they signed about 10 free agents, not even including their own. You clearly have a gross misunderstading of the Giants' cap scenario in 2013 and it is crippling your judgement.

So, in short - you couldn't even read my post with a basic degree of comprehension, and all of your counterarguments are based on the false notion that the Giants had no money to spend on free agents in 2013.

Good job!

There is going to be a lot of 'overspending' in this years free agency. I see a lot of guys being overpaid based on their age or
    previous contributions. If someone gives Decker #1 wideout money, they are crazy.

Ware or without Ware, the Cowboys will still go 8-8. :-P

At least he went to a team I like. Congrats, Steve!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I heard on the radio that the Detroit Lions are trying to court Golden Tate away from the Seahawks
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I heard on the radio that the Detroit Lions are trying to court Golden Tate away from the Seahawks
    No courting about it. Tate signed with Detroit earlier today.

Revis is a Patriot
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Of course he is.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    No courting about it. Tate signed with Detroit earlier today.
    Five years $31M, $13 guaranteed, not surprised we passed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.