Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Great prog 7 inch singles !

  1. #1

    Great prog 7 inch singles !

    Some prog bands had some success in the 'pop' charts.
    Even those that didn't gave it a go.
    Honourable efforts !
    .Focus -Hocus Hocus & Sylvia
    .PFM -Celebration
    .Kansas-Dust in the wind & Carry on Wayward son
    Pink Floyd ..See Emily Play
    ELP ...Lucky Man
    Yes..Wondrous Stories

    Dishonorable efforts!
    .Pink Floyd ..When the tigers broke free
    .ELP ...All I Want
    .Genesis...I Know What I like & Your own Special way
    .Yes...Don't Kill The Whale
    .Styx..Boat on the River
    Last edited by Rufus; 11-28-2012 at 06:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bucks County PA
    Posts
    0
    what are the "Dishonorable efforts"? Just stuff you don't like?

  3. #3
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,751
    KC ~ Cat Food / Groon
    Hatfield ~ Let's Eat (Real Soon) / Fitter Stoke Has A Bath
    GG ~ The Power & The Glory / Playing The Game
    Slapp Happy ~ Johnny's Dead / Mr. Rainbow
    Genesis ~ Twilight Alehouse
    Robert Wyatt ~ I'm A Believer / Memories
    JT ~ Life's A Long Song / Up The Pool / Dr. Bogenbroom / From Later / Nursie
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bucks County PA
    Posts
    0
    Chris Squire and Alan White- Run with the Fox / Return of the Fox

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Screamin Jay Hawkins - I put a spell on you

  7. #7
    Since I know no one else but me will mention it: Eela Craig’s “Stories”/“Cheese” single.



    -------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

    ‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

    N.P.:nothing

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    what are the "Dishonorable efforts"? Just stuff you don't like?
    Korrekt...& neither did the general public [who they were aimed at] cos they bombed. So they got a double whammy from both prog fans & the public. To my knowledge none of those songs are regarded as great or even decent by the majority of the prog fraternity excluding fan boys. Most dishonourable IMO!!!!!

    I'll also give an honourable to mention to Genesis for Carpet Crawlers as IMO it has both commercial & prog credidibility. Also to some of King Crimson's 80's single releases!!
    Last edited by Rufus; 11-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.

  9. #9
    Member Musitron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    7
    Mike Oldfield theme from Exorcist (from Tubular Bell) - Moonlight Shadow
    Manfred Man's Earth Band - Spirit in the night
    ELO - Can't get it out of my head
    Supertramp - School
    But the best as already mention, Focus - Hocus Pocus
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,135
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  12. #12
    My preferred Supertramp single is “Lady,” if only for the cool non-album B-side: “You Started Laughing When I Held You in My Arms.”

    -------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

    "That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

    N.P.:“Du hast den Farbfilm vergessen”-Nina Hagen & Automobil

  13. #13
    Hawkwind - Silver Machine
    The Pink Floyd - See Emily Play
    Terry Dactyl and the Dinosaurs - Seaside Shuffle

  14. #14
    Pink Floyd: Arnold Layne
    Pink Floyd: Apples And Oranges
    Pink Floyd: Point Me At The Sky
    Pink Floyd: See Emily Play
    Pink Floyd: It Would Be So Nice
    Marillion: Market Square Heroes
    Nektar: Do You Believe In Magic?
    Hawkwind: Silver Machine
    Hawkwind: Urban Guerilla
    Hawkwind: Back On The Streets
    Mike Oldfield: In Dulce Jublio (mainly for it's B-side, On Horseback)
    Mike Oldfield: Pictures In The Dark
    Van Der Graaf Generator: Theme One
    Magma had a 7" release that had a track that was based off the last section of Rïah Sahïltaahk. Likewise, I recall Jannick Top had a single or two that was really good, I think one of them was called Mekanik Machine.

  15. #15
    ^ According to Discogs Magma had quite a few singles out over the years. I wonder if they ever made the French top 40??
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  16. #16

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    ^ According to Discogs Magma had quite a few singles out over the years. I wonder if they ever made the French top 40??
    Yes, they did, there was a CD they came out in the late 90's, I think, that had most of the 7" releases on them. Unfortunately, I never got around to getting it, and I believe it's not out of print.

    Checking a couple websites, I think the track I wat hinking of, that was based off the coda of Rïah Sahïltaahk is either Tendei Kobah or Klaus Kombalad, but for some reason, I'm really thinking it's the latter.

    As for those Jannick Top singles, I had to look up to the Soleil D'Ork CD, because I can't find my copy. There were indeed two singles, one was Epithecantropus/Viva Utopia, and the other was Les Musiques Des Spheres/Mekanik Machine.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yes, they did, there was a CD they came out in the late 90's, I think, that had most of the 7" releases on them. Unfortunately, I never got around to getting it, and I believe it's not out of print.

    Checking a couple websites, I think the track I wat hinking of, that was based off the coda of Rïah Sahïltaahk is either Tendei Kobah or Klaus Kombalad, but for some reason, I'm really thinking it's the latter.

    As for those Jannick Top singles, I had to look up to the Soleil D'Ork CD, because I can't find my copy. There were indeed two singles, one was Epithecantropus/Viva Utopia, and the other was Les Musiques Des Spheres/Mekanik Machine.
    Interesting, thank you GG. I will keep an eye out for that singles compilation!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  19. #19
    Here's a few that I own:

    Steve Hillage: Getting Better (Lennon/McCartney)...B side: Palm Trees (Love guitar)

    Emerson, Lake & Powell: Touch and Go...B side: Learning to Fly

    Genesis: IN too Deep...B side: I'd Rather be You

    YES: Owner of a lonely heart...B side: Our song


    ...and the winner for the worst Prog-related...…

    Phil Collins: From the movie: Buster: A groovy kind of love...B side: Big Noise
    G.A.S -aholic

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    KC ~ Cat Food / Groon
    I used to have that one in the pic sleeve. Lost it when moving house in 1984. I still wake up regretting that!

    But the single of ITCOTCK did survive the move. I'm not surprised it never charted as the song is spread over both sides. Not exactly juke box friendly ...

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Interesting, thank you GG. I will keep an eye out for that singles compilation!
    The Magma singles collection is called Simples, and unfortunately, it's only 5 tracks, clocking in at around 20 minutes. I know there were more Magma singles than that, but I imagine the others are just excerpts from the album tracks.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Korrekt...& neither did the general public [who they were aimed at] cos they bombed. So they got a double whammy from both prog fans & the public. To my knowledge none of those songs are regarded as great or even decent by the majority of the prog fraternity excluding fan boys. Most dishonourable IMO!!!!!
    !
    "I Know What I Like" didn't bomb as far as I know and I like it. A great but weird little pop song with a good bassline.

    "Your Own Special Way" isn't that special, I agree, but at least the single-edit is better than the long album version since they cut the totally superfluous "proggy" middle section.

  23. #23
    My favourites:

    Yes: Roundabout
    Yes: America
    -I love the long versions but these single-edits have a certain charm and it's a pity that the short and concise version of "Roundabout" hasn't been released on a Yes compilation as far as I know

    Pekka Pohjola: Imppu's Tango
    -Again it's heavily edited (loses the whole middle section) but it got tons of airplay here in Finland back in 1982 and I recall hearing it a lot when I was about 7 years old thinking "what a weird tune".

    UK: In The Dead Of Night
    -Edits make it very urgent and paranoid and hey, they even left some of the Holdsworth's solo in there! An ending is thrown in from "Reprise" section.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    "I Know What I Like" didn't bomb as far as I know and I like it. A great but weird little pop song with a good bassline.
    I had the understanding it was a hit in the UK, which is why it's typically been one of the more frequently played songs of the Gabriel era ever since.

  25. #25
    The Kansas 45 with Point of Know Return had Closet Chronicles as its b side.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •