Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: Great prog 7 inch singles !

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Magma singles collection is called Simples
    Yep, and you were right when you suspected it was Klaus Kombalad.

    Another Magma single was "Fl ssi / ktah" but I am not sure whether it counts as it was originally released in 1998 only on CD but reissued a couple of years ago as a 7". It is notable as being the first Magma release following their hiatus after Merci. The CD version was one of the most expensive records I've ebought on a cost to minutes of music basis but it's great.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    Yep, and you were right when you suspected it was Klaus Kombalad.

    Another Magma single was "Fl ssi / ktah" but I am not sure whether it counts as it was originally released in 1998 only on CD but reissued a couple of years ago as a 7". It is notable as being the first Magma release following their hiatus after Merci. The CD version was one of the most expensive records I've ebought on a cost to minutes of music basis but it's great.
    I have it somewhere, though it was years since I last heard it!
    If memory serves, at least one of the compositions was not penned by CV

  3. #28
    Curved Air had a modest UK hit with Back Street Luv with Everdance on the B-Side. Also wasn't 'Fanfare for the Common Man' quite a biggie for ELP?

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I have it somewhere, though it was years since I last heard it!
    If memory serves, at least one of the compositions was not penned by CV
    Yep, Fl ssi is a Philippe Bussonnet composition.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Pekka Pohjola: Imppu's Tango
    -Again it's heavily edited (loses the whole middle section) but it got tons of airplay here in Finland back in 1982 and I recall hearing it a lot when I was about 7 years old thinking "what a weird tune".
    The B-side is “Silent Decade” (included as a bonus on my Urban Tango CD), which seems to be a collaboration with a couple of guys from Broadcast.

    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Curved Air had a modest UK hit with Back Street Luv with Everdance on the B-Side.
    Top 5 is a little more than merely “modest.” A bigger hit than “I Know What I Like,” mentioned up-thread.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  6. #31
    Thick As A Brick, Part 1/Thick As A Brick, Part 2 -- Chrysalis WIP 6155 (1972)

    A Passion Play edit #8/A Passion Play edit #9 -- Chrysalis WIP ???? (1973)

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    A Passion Play edit #8/A Passion Play edit #9 -- Chrysalis WIP ???? (1973)
    I own this. It’s such a weird single. I guess Chrysalis demanded that they had to release something in single form from this, but I can’t imagine any radio station ever playing this. “Bungle in the Jungle” it ain’t.

    Thought of another one I own: “Once on a Windy Day” / “Fugue in D Minor” by Gracious.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    Yep, and you were right when you suspected it was Klaus Kombalad.
    .
    I thought as much. Somewhere around here, I have a cassette someone gave me back int he early 90's, which had a one hour Magma show from something like '72 (Metz, I think), and he tacked a bunch of the Magma and Jannick Top singles on it (with the cassette side running out during Mekanik Machine, I think), and I remembered the title Klaus Kombalad from that tape, so that's where my guess came from.

  9. #34

  10. #35

  11. #36
    Member Ten Thumbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canada west coast
    Posts
    64
    Moody Blues - Tuesday Afternoon
    Jethro Tull - Living In The Past
    Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man, Barabajagal
    The Band - Life Is A Carnival
    Roxy Music- Love Is The Drug
    Steely Dan- a few
    The Who - See Me Feel Me, I Can See For Miles
    Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire
    Last edited by Ten Thumbs; 01-01-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    I remember tomorrow

  12. #37
    Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory / Playing the Game

    I have some of these. A great fanboy moment was at an Ethelfest. I hoped that Gary Green would be there and I brought two copies... and he was. During the evening I brought them up to Gary, asked if he could sign one. He'd never seen the single. He pulled one out of the paper sleeve, slowly and carefully examined both sides. He signed one for me, I gave him the other copy and he immediately took it out to his car so it wouldn't be harmed.

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory / Playing the Game

    I have some of these. A great fanboy moment was at an Ethelfest. I hoped that Gary Green would be there and I brought two copies... and he was. During the evening I brought them up to Gary, asked if he could sign one. He'd never seen the single. He pulled one out of the paper sleeve, slowly and carefully examined both sides. He signed one for me, I gave him the other copy and he immediately took it out to his car so it wouldn't be harmed.
    Great!😊

    I really like the single. The A-side has a great funky bassline and the song is one of the few moments where Gentle Giant sounds a bit like Jethro Tull. A distant cousin of "Third Hoorah". Anderson paid back with "Songs From The Wood".

    The b-side edit is interesting too as it adds that "hail!" -bit off "Proclamation" to the end IIRC. Not released on any album except for the Italian compilation "The Studio Gentle Giant Vol 2" which also includes the 7" edit of "In A Glass House" and an edited "Proclamation" too (maybe that was a promo single somewhere?).

    https://www.discogs.com/Gentle-Giant...elease/2644041

  14. #39
    Would Music by John Miles count?

    I know he was not a prog artist and its not prog per se, but it is a bit of an epic with quite a few changes...

    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

  15. #40
    phasors on stun.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Would Music by John Miles count?

    I know he was not a prog artist and its not prog per se, but it is a bit of an epic with quite a few changes...
    There’s even a 7/4 passage. And some lovely orchestrations from Andrew Powell. The Rebel album kind of felt like a dry run for the APP (Parsons produced, and Miles was a guest vocalist on many of the Project albums), replete with some nice progressive moments (see also: “You Have It All”).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  16. #41
    Back in the mid to late 70's the store where I shopped brought in a bunch of 7" imports. When I saw them I bought them all because I figured they would eventually be worth more than $2 each knowing full well I would never sell them. They have never been played.

    Le Orme - Canzone d'amore/E' finita una stagione
    Le Orme - SE IO LAVORO/SYORIA O LEGGENDA
    Le Orme - gioco di bimba/figure di cartone
    Cybotron - Ridge To Infinity/Colossus
    Vangeles - Pulstar/Alpha
    T.H.X. - Telstar/Rhizosphere Suite
    Peter Baumann - Biking Up The Strand/Dance At Dawn
    Roland Bocquet - L'abelle/La Marche Des Canards
    Hydravion - L'hydravion D' Argent/Metropolitain
    Space Art - Speedway/Odyssey
    Steve Hillage - It's All Too Much/Shimmer
    Mike Oldfield - Argiers/William Tell Overture
    Hatfield And The North - Fitter Stoke Has A Bath/Let's Eat (Real Soon)
    Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory/Playing The Game
    Genesis - Ripples/It's Yourself
    Space Art - Melodie moderne/Nous savons tout
    Space Art - Onyx/Axus
    Van Der Graff Generator - Meurglys III, The Songwriters Guild/Wondering
    Goblin - Suspiria/Blind Concert
    Goblin - E. Suono Rock/Yell
    Goblin - Opera Magnifica/Un Ragazzo D' Argento
    Goblin - Profondo Rosso/Death Dies
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  17. #42
    This thread died fast.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  18. #43
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    859
    does Genesis' Spot the Pigeon count?? it's listed on Discogs in two vinyl formats. 7" 45RPM and 12"EP.
    I had the good fortune of finding the 12" EP on vinyl at my local used record shop, Bananna's Records in St Pete, Fl
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    does Genesis' Spot the Pigeon count?? it's listed on Discogs in two vinyl formats. 7" 45RPM and 12"EP.
    I had the good fortune of finding the 12" EP on vinyl at my local used record shop, Bananna's Records in St Pete, Fl
    I have a 12" of Mike Oldfield's Guilty. At first I couldn't tell whether to play it at 33 or 45 because both sounded good.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  20. #45
    Member Rajaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Katy TX & Halifax Canada
    Posts
    220
    Without going that far in time, one of the latest by Steven Wilson called "Permanating" goes far beyond an attempt to get a hit single or chart single shot at commercialism when he introduces the song as a pop song "summarizing the Beatles are the best group of all time and Abba are the second and you are gonna disco dance!"...I think Steven Wilson did this tongue in cheek song to show his pop side.

  21. #46
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,894
    I have this one: albert marcoeur - Celui o y'a joseph, 7"


    https://www.cdandlp.com/en/albert-ma...ld/r113743608/

  22. #47
    At the record show today I saw a 45 for Autobahn by Kraftwerk
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  23. #48
    Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,154
    This is the pride of my tiny and stagnant singles collection:
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    At the record show today I saw a 45 for Autobahn by Kraftwerk
    That one I know. It did relatively well in the Netherlands. When I heard the LP version for the first time, I didn't like it, while I liked the single. Now I prefer the long version.

    Kayak had several singles
    Lyrics / Trying to write a book
    Mammoth / Ballad of the cripple
    See see the sun / Give it a name
    Wintertime / Alibi
    We are not amused / Serenades
    Change for a lifetime / My heart never changed
    Still my heart cries for you / Raid your own house
    Do you care / Nothingness
    Starlight dancer / Irene
    Want you to be mine / Golddust
    Phantom of the night / Ivory dance
    Ruthless queen / Ivory dance
    Phantom of the night / Ballad for a lost friend
    Anne / The sight
    Spetters / Lost blue of Chartres
    Periscope live / Astral aliens
    Total loss / What I wanna do
    Seagull / The sword in the stone
    The king's enchanter /Tintagel
    Who's fooling who / Irene

  25. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Genesis..Your own Special way
    Styx..Boat on the River
    These were both hugely loved in the UK, and rightly so they are great pop songs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •