Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The most burning question of the paranormal

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The study of observable phenomena is not some cult,
    It most certainly is when climate change scientists are paid by institutes to provide certain results while anti-climate-hysteria scientists are totally ignored.
    Science can provide the answers that are wanted as well as ignore those that are not wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Truth is not an observable phenomenon.
    No.

It most certainly is when climate change scientists are paid by institutes to provide certain results while anti-climate-hysteria scientists are totally ignored.
    Science can provide the answers that are wanted as well as ignore those that are not wanted.
    Again, the same could be said about religion.

The potential for something to be corrupted does not invalidate it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Again, the same could be said about religion.

The potential for something to be corrupted does not invalidate it.
    Both true, I agree. But please don't think I'm running a science v religion campaign here. I'm just very sceptical about a lot of "new" science", how it is commissioned (and by whom), how it is paid for (and by whom), how it is executed and then how the results are used in suitable and not so suitable ways.

Both true, I agree. But please don't think I'm running a science v religion campaign here. I'm just very sceptical about a lot of "new" science", how it is commissioned (and by whom), how it is paid for (and by whom), how it is executed and then how the results are used in suitable and not so suitable ways.
    You're skeptical?

Good! You're on your way to becoming a good scientist!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well...there's no comeback to that...you could just as well have mentioned Hitler

Oh, so you're one of those.

Until just now, you didn't even have a very good understanding of what science is, and now you feel up to the task of refuting the findings of decades of climate study research (which is pretty much unanimously accepted by the entire community of people who study it).

"Science" has no political agenda. The scientific method itself is the mechanism preventing that. I understand that political and religious zealots of all stripes hate it when the truth gets in the way of their wacko theories, but that's just the way it is.

Oh, so you're one of those.

Until just now, you didn't even have a very good understanding of what science is
    One of what?

And you're incorrect. I know full well what science is. We just describe it differently. You think science is searching for truth, while I think science is searching for facts.

One of what?

And you're incorrect. I know full well what science is. We just describe it differently. You think science is searching for truth, while I think science is searching for facts.
    You've provided abundant evidence of what you do and do not understand.

Science is not the search for facts. Science uses facts to learn truths. Gravity isn't a fact, it is a truth.

Here we go.

One of what?

Apparently, you live in a world where facts and truth are mutually exclusive.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

One of what?
    The rules of the forum don't permit me to expound on that.

Let's get this back to the stuff that everyone agrees is "paranormal:" ghosts, the spirit world, and the like, before it gets shut down because somebody didn't understand how science works.

You've provided abundant evidence of what you do and do not understand.

No, I haven't. I've not once mentioned what I don't understand. You are making assumptions

Science is not the search for facts.
    Yes, it is. My truth is not your truth therefore it cannot be a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Apparently, you live in a world where facts and truth are mutually exclusive.
    As do we all.

The rules of the forum don't permit me to expound on that.
    hhhmmm.......likewise then.......

No, I haven't. I've not once mentioned what I don't understand. You are making assumptions
    You're missing the point, Peter. He's saying that your posts indicate your lack of an understanding of science. You make a lot of assumptions about it that simply aren't true.

They're true for me. And that's not a fact. It's a truth.

I'll stop now before people start getting rude and accusing me of not understanding how to have a discussion.

They're true for me. And that's not a fact. It's a truth.

I'll stop now before people start getting rude and accusing me of not understanding how to have a discussion.
    Not trying to be rude, but you're making foolish arguments.

"It's true for me" is silly. You can say that "the sky is green and it's true for me," but that does not make it "truth." You're still wrong.

I agree. But my views on science are not wrong for me, they are true for me. Nor are they silly. Just as what you think about science is true for you and not silly.

Facts are facts, granted, but what we think about them varies. We don't all have the same views about science just as we don't all have the same views about religion, sports, politics, the arts, economics, work, family, nature, space, food, drink, sex, cars the list is endless.

BTW, I wasn't saying you were being rude. My words can be taken at face value "before people start getting rude" means no one has been rude yet.

I agree. But my views on science are not wrong for me, they are true for me. Nor are they silly. Just as what you think about science is true for you and not silly.
    Peter, I'm sorry, but you can't have "your own truth." Something is either true, or it's not, and much of what you've written here about science is wrong and not open to interpretation.

PeterG, you are wilfully ignorant and I will not argue further with you.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Mixed feelings on this subject: I'm mostly a science-based person I think, maybe feeling "spiritual" one day, maybe teetering on the edge of full-blown atheism at times, but a key element for me is keeping my mind open to all possibilities. I've had some weird experiences that are "explainable"....but was the rational explanation the right one? In some/most cases, there is no way of answering that question as there was no evidence of what had happened. If I tell someone I saw what was going to happen to me 30 minutes into the future and it ended up happening, it doesn't mean squat if I'm mentioning it all well after the fact. So it may as well not be real. I'm pretty sure it happened, but I can't prove it. And I'm open to the idea that some weird brain chemistry thing happened that made me think it occurred - but no one can prove that either. We can't just say that is the right answer because we think it's the most likely one. Or that I didn't know the future simply because other possible explanations exist.

So I see people who are sort of "evangelicals" on both sides -- either wanting to believe too quickly in the more "supernatural" explanation or wanting to fall back on a scientific-sounding explanation to debunk something as quickly as possible with no evidence because "well, that's the most likely explanation"...and maybe because they can't tolerate a world where some things are unexplained.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    PeterG, you are wilfully ignorant and I will not argue further with you.
    Back at ya! Have a nice day.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    holy crap! all I did was ask about the gizmos I see on these ghost hunting shows! I did not expect a philosophical prog nerd fight!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    holy crap! all I did was ask about the gizmos I see on these ghost hunting shows! I did not expect a philosophical prog nerd fight!
    Did you forget where you asked about that?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Did you forget where you asked about that?
    no, but I KNOW I did not mention Phil Collins, so I thought I was safe
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"