Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Looks like a Prog album cover to me!

Yeah, I'll admit Tyson is a different MC for Cosmos than Sagan was, but I rather expected that. Sagan had a more authoritarian voice or something, Tyson is a bit more of a teddy bear, but no less smart. Sometimes it seems the way he speaks he is reading a nursery story for children, but that's the way he speaks. Can't be someone you're not.

Also as far as the music--it sounds more like a movie soundtrack to me, which doesn't bother me. It makes the series seem fairly dramatic. It's not like they were going to get Porcupine Tree or Spock's Beard to do the soundtrack anyway... It does have a bunch of commercials, but at least you can see it on commercial cable. I'm sure it would come off better to watch over a dvd without that annoyance.

At any rate, found this podcast on why Tyson doesn't debate science deniers (which, seems like it would be like a losing proposition). Scroll down to the bottom of the article: http://http://billmoyers.com/2014/03...-about-cosmos/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Episode 2 was much better than episode 1 though I guess the Fox affiliate in Oklahoma probably had a mysterious power outage that prevented them broadcasting it. It was pretty much an hour long slap down to evolution deniers.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Episode 2 was much better than episode 1 though I guess the Fox affiliate in Oklahoma probably had a mysterious power outage that prevented them broadcasting it. It was pretty much an hour long slap down to evolution deniers.
    I caught this episode on Hulu (too many commercials) because of this thread. I'm a big fan of the Orig. show. Regarding evolution - I Really got the impression he was talking about humans when he was talking about dogs !!!
    The show --- it's as good as the original. It just doesn't have the groundbreaking impact of Sagan's version. It's supposed to make you wonder and think....sometimes that doesn't go over too well. This is for the next generation's imagination...

(I wonder if Dr.Tyson appreciates potatoes as much as Dr. Sagan did )

Tell you what, Young Earth Creationists. As soon as you apply the same scientific methodology to creation stories as scientists have applied to evolution since Darwin and Huxley, then you get equal time. Until then, get out of the classroom and stay in the church.

I have never heard a more absurd statement than "Teach the controversy."

EDIT: Yes, I have. "Genesis might get the original lineup back together." I stand corrected.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

It's pretty bad when Pat Robertson begins to seem like the sane one by conceding that the earth is more than 6,000 years old based on fossil evidence.

Of course, he has said, and continues to say, enough stuff to stay at or near the top of the lunatic perch.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    Tell you what, Young Earth Creationists. As soon as you apply the same scientific methodology to creation stories as scientists have applied to evolution since Darwin and Huxley, then you get equal time. Until then, get out of the classroom and stay in the church.

I have never heard a more absurd statement than "Teach the controversy."

EDIT: Yes, I have. "Genesis might get the original lineup back together." I stand corrected.
    So true.

There is no controversy. Evolution has been observed in the lab and in the field.

I think we should also teach astrology in astronomy courses. And Alchemy in chemistry courses. Teach the controversy, right?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Anzu wylieli: New Bird-like Dinosaur discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    So true.

There is no controversy. Evolution has been observed in the lab and in the field.

I think we should also teach astrology in astronomy courses. And Alchemy in chemistry courses. Teach the controversy, right?

Hey, I'm willing to allow creationism in a public school science classroom. Just as soon as evolution can be taught in a Sunday school classroom.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post

Hey, I'm willing to allow creationism in a public school science classroom. Just as soon as evolution can be taught in a Sunday school classroom.
    I know we are joking, but that's the thing. Creationism [er, I mean "Evolution"] can be taught in a Sunday school without losing faith. God and evolution are not incompatible.

These young earthers are so misguided, and they're belligerently happy about it.
    Last edited by polmico; 03-23-2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: I made a mistake and felt bad about it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have no problem them teaching it in Sunday school, just keep it out of the Science classes.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Oops. Early morning idiocy. I meant to say "evolution can be taught in a Sunday school." Yeah, obviously keep creationism out of a classroom.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

One thing I will definitely give the private (Catholic) school one of my sons attends: the science classes teach evolution and the scientific method. I've found Catholicism to be much more open to this idea than the Protestant traditions I grew up in and never felt comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I have no problem them teaching it in Sunday school, just keep it out of the Science classes.
    Exactly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Tyson brought his "A" game tonight. Like a skilled surgeon he filleted the godheads, carving them up with a wry smile on his face. Kudos....

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/24/stop...seudo_science/
    Last edited by mogrooves; 03-24-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Thought the ep. started out good, comets and other "Cosmos" material, then came the cartoons and )) yawn (( found myself switching channels and watched "South Park" instead. 2 of their funniest episodes, "Cent-ipod" and "Over Logging".
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I hope this show gets into high gear soon.

Listening to the music over the opening credits I thought it sounded like Star Trek: The Next Generation. Then I saw that music is by Alan Silvestri, who made a name for himself writing scores for big movies such as Back to the Future. I heard another, mournful figure that was repeated later that reminded me of Jerry Goldsmith's To Kill A Mockingbird. Overall, kinda generic.

Like the show though. I'll have to go back and watch the original series.

The original is worth seeing. I watched it back in the day, but had forgotten a bunch of it.

The cartoons are I'm sure to lower the cost of the show, and don't bother me, in the original they used actors in sort of a play-like recreation.

Amazing to think about all those early mathematicians working out all that stuff back then.

Halley predicting year and location of the comet is so powerful!

Comet lander checks in with Earth

And an earlier article prior to "check-in" that has a bit more detail.

Comet-chaser Rosetta's instruments come alive

Cool stuff!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

So far this series isn't bad, but is a bit too slow and boring in places. It's been a very long time since I saw the original series, but wasn't it a bit more dense? I can't really remember.

The animations don't bother me at all. Not a huge fan of when Tyson waxes poetic and stuff....sometimes it's confusing when he goes from something that sounds factual and ends the phrase by slipping into something that sounds more poetic. Sometimes I'm left wondering "did he mean that literally"? Sometimes it's a more esoteric point that could bear repeating or clarification. Not fond of Tyson's "acting" either. Seems like a nice guy, but I think they could've got someone with a better style of delivery.
    <sig out of order>

Tyson can be a bit breathless but overall I give him props. And I love that he's driving the right-wing knuckle-draggers absolutely nuts!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Well, yes, that's always fun.
    <sig out of order>