Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any archival material left for any of our favorite artists ?

Is there any archival material left for any of our favorite artists ?

I was wondering if the there is anything left for box sets for our favorite bands. I think Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson have all cleared out their vaults, of any remaining oddities, bonus tracks, unreleased tracks.

The only one who I can think of that has a bunch of stuff to release is Gabriel. That will be a great box set one day.

Just wondering what other bands might have a potential box set worth releasing.

There are still concerts known to have been filmed that have yet to resurface in their entirety - Jethro Tull's 1975 Paris Palais des Sports concert (of which only a snippet has survived), one or several Yes shows from the 1976 tour (I think), which sadly seem to have totally vanished... Plus more from the 1976 Genesis tour than was used on the 45-minute film we know, and ditto Yes at the Rainbow 1972 (Yessongs film). There are stories surrounding some of these examples that make me pessimistic that we'll ever see more, but stranger things have happened.

Tangerine Dream would have some unique live stuff from their improvising days if only Edgar Froese was still speaking to Chris Franke. Esoteric are doing great with what they have by way of the Bootleg Boxes (first one reissued now), but oh for some board recordings of those cathedral shows.

Oh Yes, PINK FLOYD! (where's Silver Shoes to give me a "hell yeah!)

Besides the obvious, "Scream thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man" (which SHOULD have been on the Piper 40th anniversary set!!!) there are the two 1967 BBC sessions with Syd Barrett (9/67 and 12/67.)

And that's just for starters. The two professionally-recorded Paris Theater shows from 1970 & 1971 sound spectacular and feature the best version of "Embryo" I've ever heard. Probably my favorite PF track, that.

The Floyd need to get off their arses NOW and get this stuff out, in nice packages with pics and stuff. There is NO GOOD REASON that fans have to settle for boots for this stuff. I don't care how rich they are. Do it for the fans!!!!

edit: if the mono masters of A Saucerful of Secrets is still around, and I believe they are, those need to be released as well. The mono version of Piper was a true revelation.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Besides the obvious, "Scream thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man" (which SHOULD have been on the Piper 40th anniversary set!!!) there are the two 1967 BBC sessions with Syd Barrett (9/67 and 12/67.)

And that's just for starters. The two professionally-recorded Paris Theater shows from 1970 & 1971 sound spectacular and feature the best version of "Embryo" I've ever heard. Probably my favorite PF track, that.

The Floyd need to get off their arses NOW and get this stuff out, in nice packages with pics and stuff. There is NO GOOD REASON that fans have to settle for boots for this stuff. I don't care how rich they are. Do it for the fans!!!!
    Wouldn't the fact that just about everybody already owns this (most of it in superb sound quality) make such a release slightly less appealing than some truly unreleased material ?

I keep hoping that there is something left for VdGG to mine, but I guess that's not the case. So sad that their live catalogue from the '70s is so small.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I forgot about Floyd. It seems like whatever stuff they might have is being released with remastered versions of the album, such as the Dark side of the moon box set.
    I'm actually interested in the Wish you were here stuff, especially the live versions.

I think there is probably a ton of stuff. As a Genesis live obsessive, there are endless full concerts on multi track tapes that have never seen an official release, along with all of the BBC sessions.

Tull have at least one missing track, "Sailor." Beautiful track, apparently from the Chateau sessions.

Ken Golden once told me, if my memory serves me well, that someone is sitting on alot of un-released David Sancious material. I think David himself doesn't want it released. I'd love to hear it myself.

Rick

And then ofcourse The Beatles still have a lot of worthwhile suff in their vaults.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Oh Yes, PINK FLOYD! (where's Silver Shoes to give me a "hell yeah!)

edit: if the mono masters of A Saucerful of Secrets is still around, and I believe they are, those need to be released as well. The mono version of Piper was a true revelation.
    Is this the show you are referring too?
    Pink Floyd
    Paris Theatre
    London, England
    October 3, 1971

Ripped from "Secrets" silver bootleg using EAC. Lof file included in the torrent.

01. Embryo
    02. Green is the Colour
    03. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
    04. Let There Be More Light
    05. Murderistic Woman
    06. Point Me At the Sky
    07. The Narrow Way
    08. Julia Dream
    09. A Saucerful of Secrets
    10. One of These Days
    11. Echoes

The Frank Zappa vaults still have a metric buttload of unreleased sessions, not even getting into the massive archive of live tapes.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Tangerine Dream would have some unique live stuff from their improvising days if only Edgar Froese was still speaking to Chris Franke.
    Why does that matter, does Franke have the tapes?

I am positive Nektar has several.
    Classic Nektar lives on @ http://www.thenektarproject.com/

Banned
    Shitload of Yes "Leave it" videos that need to come out on DVD!

There are several live Triumvirat sound documents from the seventies that i would love to see cleaned up and restored and properly released, two from the Illusions On A Double Dimple tour in the USA in 1974, one from Cologne in 1972, and a German live recording from 1980. And another live document with excerpts from concerts in 74 and 75 in the US.
    And of course, their completely recorded studio album from 2002, The Web-Site Story.
    And in Germany, there were films made of the band during the Old Loves Die Hard and Pompeii period that must be sitting somewhere.
    Alas, there was a film made of their Illusions On A Double Dimple tour in the USA and broadcast on ABC's In Concert in January 1975, but i checked, and that video no longer exists.
    Last edited by presdoug; 11-28-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Quote Originally Posted by presdoug View Post
    There are several live Triumvirat sound documents from the seventies that i would love to see cleaned up and restored and properly released, two from the Illusions On A Double Dimple tour in the USA in 1974, one from Cologne in 1972, and a German live recording from 1980. And another live document with excerpts from concerts in 74 and 75 in the US.
    And of course, their completely recorded studio album from 2002, The Web-Site Story.
    And in Germany, there were films made of the band during the Old Loves Die Hard and Pompeii period that must be sitting somewhere.
    Alas, there was a film made of their Illusions On A Double Dimple tour in the USA and broadcast on ABC's In Concert in January 1975, but i checked, and that video no longer exists.
    I've got one show from the Illusions tour (Providence RI '74) but the sound quality is very poor. Not sure which you are referring to...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So what Esoteric is releasing is reissues of the two T Dream bootleg boxes?

There's tons of Yes stuff still to be released. There are numerous bootlegs that could be cleaned up King Crimson Collectors' Club style. Pete Banks seems to have some further early live recordings of Yes, The Syn and Flash. There are at least a few alternate studio recordings of the '70s band not used on the Rhino expanded releases. We've had a recent thread on the XYZ tapes, more's there than has been bootlegged. There are oodles of 90125 alternates: the whole album was prepared without Anderson and only a few of those versions have been releases... and there are unreleased songs like "Time". Howe has talked of potential bonus material connected to ABWH (not used on the recent Voiceprint re-release because Voiceprint put that out without even telling Howe) and there's more from around the time of Big Generator and Union, multiple alternate versions.

Band members' personal archives probably have more. Howe has his Homebrew series, but has promised a similar release of band projects. We've heard bootlegs of post-Hackett GTR. There's stuff like the late 1970s Anderson-composed ballet that recently emerged on Dimeadozen. My guess would be that there could be anything in, say, White's or Squire's cupboards. There are numerous late 1970s singles and jingles that Horn and Downes worked on, but are pretty much impossible to find.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Tangerine Dream would have some unique live stuff from their improvising days if only Edgar Froese was still speaking to Chris Franke.

>>>>>>>Why does that matter, does Franke have the tapes?

Apparently yes. It's one of those `divorce' type situations, which is pretty sad really. I have no idea of the details, but that's it in a nutshell. Yes Esoteric are re-issuing both Bootleg Boxes, with a third unreleased one to follow. I've had a hand in supplying some source tapes, which are being restored to a better standard than previously, by someone who understands noise reduction and the like...but it's still a pitiful situation when there are officially recorded tapes of some unique concerts gathering dust somewhere.

I thought Yes had used up whatever unreleased stuff on the remastered cds and the box sets. Im sure there is plenty of demo stuff, but not all of it is worth listening to.
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    There's tons of Yes stuff still to be released. There are numerous bootlegs that could be cleaned up King Crimson Collectors' Club style. Pete Banks seems to have some further early live recordings of Yes, The Syn and Flash. There are at least a few alternate studio recordings of the '70s band not used on the Rhino expanded releases. We've had a recent thread on the XYZ tapes, more's there than has been bootlegged. There are oodles of 90125 alternates: the whole album was prepared without Anderson and only a few of those versions have been releases... and there are unreleased songs like "Time". Howe has talked of potential bonus material connected to ABWH (not used on the recent Voiceprint re-release because Voiceprint put that out without even telling Howe) and there's more from around the time of Big Generator and Union, multiple alternate versions.

Band members' personal archives probably have more. Howe has his Homebrew series, but has promised a similar release of band projects. We've heard bootlegs of post-Hackett GTR. There's stuff like the late 1970s Anderson-composed ballet that recently emerged on Dimeadozen. My guess would be that there could be anything in, say, White's or Squire's cupboards. There are numerous late 1970s singles and jingles that Horn and Downes worked on, but are pretty much impossible to find.

Henry
    I liked what I heard of the GTR stuff.

I've heard that Soft Machine still has some - including video - but that it's tied up in licensing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    I thought Yes had used up whatever unreleased stuff on the remastered cds and the box sets.
    Not at all. I see no reason to think that. There are cases where we know more exists (e.g. the CttE-era Squire song "Can You Come Home With Me Tonight" on the multi-disc bootleg said to derive from Atlantic's trawl for material) and there may be unknown unknowns too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    Im sure there is plenty of demo stuff, but not all of it is worth listening to.
    There is generally a law of diminishing returns with these things. I don think there's another "And You and I" sitting in the vaults, but there's certainly material that's been bootlegged that warrants proper release and some surprise finds in recent years have been pretty good.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Is this the show you are referring too?
    Pink Floyd
    Paris Theatre
    London, England
    October 3, 1971

Ripped from "Secrets" silver bootleg using EAC. Lof file included in the torrent.

01. Embryo
    02. Green is the Colour
    03. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
    04. Let There Be More Light
    05. Murderistic Woman
    06. Point Me At the Sky
    07. The Narrow Way
    08. Julia Dream
    09. A Saucerful of Secrets
    10. One of These Days
    11. Echoes
    Nope. These:

16 July, 1970. BBC’s Paris Theatre, London UK.
    Sounds of the Seventies: John Peel Show, BBC 1 Radio.
    Recorded on the 16th
    Broadcasted on 19july70 at 4:00 PM and
    rebroadcasted on 22jul70 at 6:00 PM
    “The Embryo” – 10:30
    “Fat Old Sun” – 5:00
    “Green Is The Colour”/”Careful with that Axe, Eugene” – 11:30
    “If” – 4:30
    “Atom Heart Mother” – 26:00
    Total time: 60:00

This is the only live performance of “If” by Pink Floyd, with Roger on acoustic guitar and Rick on bass and organ simultaneously (Roger did perform it numerous times on his solo tours). “Atom Heart Mother” was performed with the accompaniment of The Philip Jones Brass Ensemble.
    The Fat Old Sun is missing from the BBC transcription discs, and is only available because Floyd fans recorded the radio show all those years ago. The quality of this track is therefore less on the Mooed music ROIO. Most common RoIOs omit this song altogether.

30 September, 1971. BBC’s Paris Theatre, London UK.
    Recording for the John Peel Show, BBC 1 Radio
    Recorded on the 12th of October
    Broadcast at 10:00 pm
    “Embryo” – 10:30
    “Blues” – 5:00
    “Fat Old Sun” – 15:00
    “One of These Days” – 8:00
    “Echoes” – 28:00
    Total time: 68:00
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire