Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound Of Contact Announces U.S. Dates

Sound Of Contact Announces U.S. Dates

From the bands website:

We are extremely delighted to announce that Sound Of Contact have added additional live dates in North America this Spring.

Despite a tight schedule, the band have added headline shows in Los Angeles, Chicago, Toronto and Quebec City, these in addition to the previously announced appearances at RoSFest in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, Cruise To The Edge and on The Moody Blues Cruise.

The confirmed tour dates are as follows:

Wednesday 02 April 2014 Moody Blues Cruise
    Thursday 03 April 2014 Moody Blues Cruise
    Friday 04 April 2014 Moody Blues Cruise
    Saturday 05 April 2014 Moody Blues Cruise
    Sunday 06 April 2014 Moody Blues Cruise
    Monday 07 April 2014 Moody Blues Cruise / Cruise To The Edge
    Tuesday 08 April 2014 Cruise To The Edge
    Wednesday 09 April 2014 Cruise To The Edge
    Thursday 10 April 2014 Cruise To The Edge
    Friday 11 April 2014 Cruise To The Edge
    Saturday 12 April 2014 Cruise To The Edge

Saturday 26 April 2014 Los Angeles, CA, America – SIR Studios
    Wednesday 30 April 2014 Quebec City, QC, Canada – Le Cabaret du Capitole
    Thursday 01 May 2014 Toronto, ON, Canada – Rock Pile East
    Friday 02 May 2014 Chicago, IL, America – Reggies Rock Club
    Saturday 03 May 2014 Gettysburg, PA, America – RoSFest

Ticket details will be issued for each of the new venues over the next few days

Looking forward to seeing them, but won't be the same without Squids........................

Where have I heard this before...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Good luck! Gonna have a hard time selling tickets now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

May 1st, Toronto. Cautiously optimistic. I'd say, since it's based around a festival appearance, it is likely to happen this time.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    May 1st, Toronto. Cautiously optimistic. I'd say, since it's based around a festival appearance, it is likely to happen this time.

neil
    Well....uh......the last tour was based around a festival as well.........jus sayin...........

I'm trying to figure out if by those dates, I can score a ticket to the 4/8 show....
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Fair point by you, Stevesly. Although this time, they are being a lot more conservative than trying to 'bring back the prog'. I will see them if it happens, but won't be hugely disappointed if it falls through again.

neil

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There's this little town called New York that I guess they haven't heard of...

Perhaps a post ROSfest show, for the big apple?

neil

NYC - April 29th - $15 - No Brainer!
    http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sal...om=EMLN_243030
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The last time they were supposed to play Toronto our good friends Druckfarben were supposed to be on the bill also.

DtB
    Last edited by Dave the Brave; 03-13-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Well, I have my tickets for the Toronto show in my hands. So far, so good. No mention of any opening bands, as of yet.

neil

Got my tickets for the Toronto show - hope they have a good turnout for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Good luck! Gonna have a hard time selling tickets now.
    ??? Based on what??
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

The tour kicks off tonight in LA. Hope to meet some of you out there!

P.S. We're also doing a week in Europe with The Flower Kings after the North American run, starting in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    NYC - April 29th - $15 - No Brainer!
    http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sal...om=EMLN_243030
    And Chinese food a few blocks away at Wo-Hops (17 Mott St. (downstairs)) for after show nourishment is also a no-brainer!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    ??? Based on what??
    Based on the fact that they booked a tour last year and cancelled the whole thing. I'd be wary of buying a ticket now, but maybe that's just me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Based on the fact that they booked a tour last year and cancelled the whole thing. I'd be wary of buying a ticket now, but maybe that's just me.
    Why? You buy a ticket, they cancel, you get a refund.

It's just a hassle and a pain in the ass. It sets a bad precedent.

Believe me, I flat-out love the album and wish them success, but I think it was a massive failure to cancel an entire tour.

Scott isn't wrong.

This may well have been beyond their control, Im not sure of the situation here but if dates were all booked by 1 promoter as often happens and he cancels the dates (and many of the contracts state this can be done till 7 days before due to play) --then they would have no choice. If they had booked the dates themselves and then cancelled its possibly because unlike say the UK the costs involved in getting around in the USA can be big and if the tix sales were seriously not good then it may not have been viable at all to do , or the other option could have been problems within the band members--there can be all sorts of reasons that make it not possible. No band cancels the whole thing lightly.

I imagine you are correct on all of that, Vicky. From an audience perspective...it was a pretty big/awkward blowout, and it left a bad taste in several people's mouths.

It's just a hassle and a pain in the ass. It sets a bad precedent.

Believe me, I flat-out love the album and wish them success, but I think it was a massive failure to cancel an entire tour.
    I recall reading that the local prog bands that were invited to perform prior to Sound Of Contact also were not happy with the 'deal' given to them. Some balked at the opportunity to open the show. Who knows, but if true, that might also keep people away.

Well, I have a ticket for Thursday night in Toronto, so it looks like it's going to happen. I certainly hold nothing against them, for having to cancel a tour. At least they're out there trying. Good on them for sticking with it, I say.

And I know some people in one of the bands who were supposed to open, and they weren't upset with the 'deal', at all. They were happy to be playing on such a bill.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I recall reading that the local prog bands that were invited to perform prior to Sound Of Contact also were not happy with the 'deal' given to them. Some balked at the opportunity to open the show. Who knows, but if true, that might also keep people away.
    Gruno isn't wrong.

We were asked to be part of BBtP by the promoter. Once we heard the actual plan/conditions, we politely declined. It wasn't a matter of balking or being offended; we were quite flattered to have been asked. It was simply that the logistics were in our mind absolutely unfeasible. That many bands on the same bill, with the (sad to say) typically lengthy switchovers...not to mention in this area, shows on weeknights with that many bands would be starting WAY too early because with rush hour, no one can get there on time. We couldn't see a scenario by which we could actually USE this opportunity to our advantage (or to our mutual advantage with SoC and the other bands).

My very humble opinion is that SoC would have been better served making their inaugural tour be a supporting slot with a much bigger band, such as Dream Theater or even Yes/Asia. Build a live reputation, and THEN attempt to book a headlining tour with other acts.