Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sound Of Contact Announces U.S. Dates

Tonights the night Toronto wise.

Any of you attending make yourselves known.

Just look for a small group of strange looking guys.

I know Neil (Boilk) is attending along with me my Bro and guitarist for Druckfarben Ed Bernard.

Maybe Dave Sr is going too.

DtB

Good show in Toronto last night - they did the album followed by an encore of an instrumental and one cover.

The band were tight and punchy - not a big crowd but seemed to be into it.

Hope they can keep this going.

I was very impressed with the first opener – Three Quarter Stone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwimLObSxBY
    Lots of Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster cult influences.

Second Opener Gene Scarpelli, the son of an old friend Gino Scarpelli of Goddo and Brutus fame, was okay but was blown out of the water by Sound of Contact.

Great show all around but I'm getting too old to be clubbing on a Thursday night.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    I was very impressed with the first opener – Three Quarter Stone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwimLObSxBY
    Lots of Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster cult influences.

Second Opener Gene Scarpelli, the son of an old friend Gino Scarpelli of Goddo and Brutus fame, was okay but was blown out of the water by Sound of Contact.

Great show all around but I'm getting too old to be clubbing on a Thursday night.

DtB
    Neither of the openers did anything for me - a murky mix for both of them didn't really help.

SoC were very good but getting up this morning was no fun.

A great set by SOC in Toronto last night. I enjoyed it more than I thought that I might, since I have'nt been blown away by what I've heard from the album. The songs came to life in the live setting, the band were really into it, and sound was good. Simon Collins vocals sounded fine, and there were some great drum duets, too.

Good to see Dave the Brave, and, if I had known what you looked like Taliesin, I would have said hi!

As to this weeknight show thing....ha, what are you guys, 90 years old, or something? I felt great this morning. If Dave, Sr. can go to shows during the week (like Monday night's Druckfarben listening party, for instance), there is no excuse for you young pups, lol.

Any fan of Dimensionaut should definitely check them out. Well worth it.

neil

Made the drive from Detroit Friday to catch the show at Reggies, Chicago. Although I was a little skeptical of the "new" line up, the band delivered. Simon was animated and his voice spot on. First time seeing Randy McStine and was VERY impressed. The live version of Realm of Inorganic Beings is very interesting and showcases his skills. After seeing Dorsey play live, I'm more impressed with his bass playing than ever. Gorden and Jenkins - solid. No weak links here. The highlight of the show for me was Mobius Slip. This prog epic sounded even better live than in the studio. Paid a whopping $30 for VIP tix which included signed poster, pic with the band and early entry to the venue. Bargain! The sound system at Reggies is the best I have heard in a venue of this size. Crystal clear with sub woofers that rattled the whole building and very well mixed to my ears. The turnout was absolutely pathetic with fewer than 100 in attendance. Fridays show defenitely removed any bad taste from last years cancelled tour and I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Gene Scarpelli, the son of an old friend Gino Scarpelli of Goddo and Brutus fame
    Goddo! There's an old name from the Ontario bar circuit!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm not sure that less than 100 means pathetic. I mean, in what sense? Because Phil Collins' son is in the band, more people should show up? Because it's a good album? A lot of bands playing this kind of music couldn't even draw that many. And since it's only the first album, you've got to start somewhere. Glad I made the effort.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm not sure that less than 100 means pathetic. I mean, in what sense? Because Phil Collins' son is in the band, more people should show up? Because it's a good album? A lot of bands playing this kind of music couldn't even draw that many. And since it's only the first album, you've got to start somewhere. Glad I made the effort.

neil
    Only in the sense that the band / album really resonated with me, so it should for everyone ;-). I guess it's just a reminder what a small niche prog is.

I'm happy to see that some people here made it to the shows! Also, there seems to be a sense of...enjoyment?

We're in Paris now. We kick off with The Flower Kings tomorrow night and finish out the tour with them. Going to be a lot of fun!

-Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Lo-Fi Resistance View Post
    I'm happy to see that some people here made it to the shows! Also, there seems to be a sense of...enjoyment?

We're in Paris now. We kick off with The Flower Kings tomorrow night and finish out the tour with them. Going to be a lot of fun!

-Randy
    Randy - you guys KILLED it Saturday night at RoSFest. And we listened to LFR for the first time on the drive home, and we all really thought it was excellent. We spoke with you in the meet/greet line, and you hung out last Tuesday in NYC with two of us - Andrew, and Darin, my keyboardist and drummer in our original/prog tribute band. Enjoy Paris!