Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound Of Contact Announces U.S. Dates

I still have my cancelled ticket for the Toronto show last time around. I wonder if I can use it to get in?

I passed this time though. Last time was going to be Bolus and Druckfarben opening, which would have been excellent, and to be honest I'm less interested in SOC without Squids. Just a preference.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I imagine you are correct on all of that, Vicky. From an audience perspective...it was a pretty big/awkward blowout, and it left a bad taste in several people's mouths.
    Exactly. Big promises, undelivered.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Gruno isn't wrong.

We were asked to be part of BBtP by the promoter. Once we heard the actual plan/conditions, we politely declined. It wasn't a matter of balking or being offended; we were quite flattered to have been asked. It was simply that the logistics were in our mind absolutely unfeasible. That many bands on the same bill, with the (sad to say) typically lengthy switchovers...not to mention in this area, shows on weeknights with that many bands would be starting WAY too early because with rush hour, no one can get there on time. We couldn't see a scenario by which we could actually USE this opportunity to our advantage (or to our mutual advantage with SoC and the other bands).

My very humble opinion is that SoC would have been better served making their inaugural tour be a supporting slot with a much bigger band, such as Dream Theater or even Yes/Asia. Build a live reputation, and THEN attempt to book a headlining tour with other acts.
    Thanks for that reply. The details of their inaugural tour sounded nice on paper, but I spoke to some prog fans (in person) who thought they (SoC) shot their wad too soon with hopes of some massive turnout for their shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Thanks for that reply. The details of their inaugural tour sounded nice on paper, but I spoke to some prog fans (in person) who thought they (SoC) shot their wad too soon with hopes of some massive turnout for their shows.
    Just for saying...I don't want to sound like I'm throwing the band under the bus, or even the promoter. It was a very generous idea.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Well, I went to the show in Los Angeles this past Saturday. About 120 people. Very intimate setting at a Sound Studio rehearsal stage. Two hour show. Great sound. Great performance. Randy McStine smoked on the guitar. Mr. "I can play for anyone" Bill Jenkins was awesome as always. Simon was very good and very animated. Overall worth the wait and better than having them on a three/four band bill late into the evening. The show started at around 8, ended at around 10. I very much enjoyed this one.

to me that sounds way more suitable. One thing to mention is its very easy to think when you see a band get a lot of press on here or in "Prog" that they will draw a decent audience and "overplan" based on that. Its actually a very different thing to how many bums on seats you will get at lots of individual places with very big distances to cover. Someone mentioned about "support acts" are the people like Yes and Dream Theatre still using support acts as they dont usually in the UK? --because in my experience the big acts either dont use them anymore or you are asked to pay very hefty amounts by the promoter to get the support slot! (way more than its usually going to be worth in terms of increased sales) and not always with an audience that you will register with.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeebs View Post
    Well, I went to the show in Los Angeles this past Saturday. About 120 people. Very intimate setting at a Sound Studio rehearsal stage. Two hour show. Great sound. Great performance. Randy McStine smoked on the guitar. Mr. "I can play for anyone" Bill Jenkins was awesome as always. Simon was very good and very animated. Overall worth the wait and better than having them on a three/four band bill late into the evening. The show started at around 8, ended at around 10. I very much enjoyed this one.
    I too saw the show. It was very good.

They opened with cosmic ladder I believe . Simon is a great drummer. Plays with a lot of punch and kick, like his old man. I think the opening instrumental was the highlight of the show.

I love Simon's voice too. But he still struggles at times by slipping out of tune. But he seems to be better than some of the youtubes I saw from last year.

I glanced a few times at Lily sitting at the side of the stage ( with her mother, Phil's ex wife Jill). Lilly seemed to be rocking out most to möbius slip. She must have some prog in her!

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    to me that sounds way more suitable. One thing to mention is its very easy to think when you see a band get a lot of press on here or in "Prog" that they will draw a decent audience and "overplan" based on that. Its actually a very different thing to how many bums on seats you will get at lots of individual places with very big distances to cover. Someone mentioned about "support acts" are the people like Yes and Dream Theatre still using support acts as they dont usually in the UK? --because in my experience the big acts either dont use them anymore or you are asked to pay very hefty amounts by the promoter to get the support slot! (way more than its usually going to be worth in terms of increased sales) and not always with an audience that you will register with.
    I just mentioned DT and Yes off the top of my head; I'm sure you aren't wrong about the challenges in that approach as well. Just suggesting that for a band like SoC, that route might have been more successful.

At least in our case, we knew of the other bands with whom we'd be sharing the BBtP bill. The promoter more or less said that he was looking for bands to pull in 20-30 bodies...which was fine, but all the bands were going to overlap heavily. It wasn't going to be 20-30 bodies times 5 bands; it was going to be maybe 30-40 bodies for all the bands together.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I just mentioned DT and Yes off the top of my head; I'm sure you aren't wrong about the challenges in that approach as well. Just suggesting that for a band like SoC, that route might have been more successful.

At least in our case, we knew of the other bands with whom we'd be sharing the BBtP bill. The promoter more or less said that he was looking for bands to pull in 20-30 bodies...which was fine, but all the bands were going to overlap heavily. It wasn't going to be 20-30 bodies times 5 bands; it was going to be maybe 30-40 bodies for all the bands together.
    Yes thats always worth bearing in mind--if you choose bands of a similar ilk they will often attract exactly the same people, the only advantage is those people feel they are getting "value"

There is such irony in cancelling a tour that is dubbed "The Bring Back The Prog Tour". If you read the PE forum over the last year or so, the topic of cancelled tours, retired festivals, & low turnouts have been coming up quite a bit.

We're on a cruise ship now guys, get with the program!

I've been in the live SOC band as guitarist/vocalist since the summer of 2013. Prior to the current tour, I did one show with the band (Loreley Night Of The Prog). I'm seeing a lot of opinions expressed here about the cancelled tour, but I'm not going to chime in about it. Being an "outside" part of the band, I don't have answers or rebuttals to the rumors expressed here. That's not why this thread was started anyway.

Moving on, the current tour is most definitely going ahead as scheduled. The live show was very well received on the cruises (particularly Cruise To The Edge), and I think things are starting to click in nicely. As for the doubts without Dave Kerzner in the band, all I can say is Bill Jenkins is doing a fantastic job. Some people on here might be familiar with my band Lo-Fi Resistance, and if you are, you know that Dave and I worked closely on the last record (Chalk Lines). Dave was one of the key factors in getting me into SOC, and has been a great friend and supporter of my endeavors since 2012. He's not here, it is what it is. Dave is a regular at PE (we met through this site), and I'm sure that the emotional reaction to him being out of the band goes hand in hand with musical doubts. He is working on a solo album, SOC will be working on a follow-up. Why not let the results speak? If you're lucky, you'll end up with two good albums!

If you are a fan of the Dimensionaut record, I really encourage you to come see the show. I feel that it is represented well (we're doing the whole album plus a few other selections), and some songs have taken on a new life for the live show. All the best everyone! -Randy

and good luck Randy! These things happen. we saw you at Lorelei as we were there with Sanguine Hum--phew that was a hot day! I felt for SOC as you had quite difficult technical issues with US adaptors for power----- but once sorted you were really good.

I'm looking forward to the show on Friday at Reggie's in Chicago!
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lo-Fi Resistance View Post
    If you are a fan of the Dimensionaut record, I really encourage you to come see the show. I feel that it is represented well (we're doing the whole album plus a few other selections), and some songs have taken on a new life for the live show. All the best everyone! -Randy
    Way to go, Randy! I feel you guys are finally on the right track with SoC. It appears that Sound of Contact is forging ahead stronger than before. Good luck and have fun!

I'll be at the NYC show tonight with my lovely wife. Looking forward to hearing the band in this lineup, should be fun.

Mike

I won't be catching any of the shows this tour, but will see them at ROSFest.

In all sincerity, best of luck to the band and their current tour.

Hello Randy. Looking forward to the SOC gig this weekend at Rosfest. I have never seen the band. But, I did see you four nights in a row at the end of February/early March with The Pink Floyd Experience. What a wonderful time.

Had to work.
    Ppppffffttttt.......
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Good show last night, the band was tight, and Simon is a really solid drummer. Phil was in the audience, as he's spending a lot of time in NYC nowadays.

If you get a chance, go see the band. They're well worth supporting, and I'm curious to see what they come up with next. I will also say, there were a number of Cruise attendees in the audience, so for newer bands, it does seem to be a way to get some outreach going to people who otherwise wouldn't have heard their music.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    Good show last night, the band was tight, and Simon is a really solid drummer. Phil was in the audience, as he's spending a lot of time in NYC nowadays.

If you get a chance, go see the band. They're well worth supporting, and I'm curious to see what they come up with next. I will also say, there were a number of Cruise attendees in the audience, so for newer bands, it does seem to be a way to get some outreach going to people who otherwise wouldn't have heard their music.

Mike
    Thanks for coming to the show! There was a great energy in the room, and I was very surprised to see so many people from the cruises as well. Quebec City tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post

Was Phil singing along?

"Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Cool pic!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Great photo! Some videos are showing up on YT as well

Great photo indeed. I wonder how long it's been since Phil was in the dingy back rooms of a small venue like that?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***