Thread: Featured CD - Janos Varga Project : The Wings Of Revelation I and II

Featured CD - Janos Varga Project : The Wings Of Revelation I and II

A 2-part release from Hungary's Janos Varga. Per ProgArchives:
    Wings Of Revelation I

Review by BORA
    5 stars Blown away - just superb!

If you can relate to instrumental, versatile and virtuostic Prog that's not compromised by forced vocals, then read on.

Only recently I bemoaned the fact that a once excellent Hungarian (then) trio, EAST have never had the chance to record an album. Well. not until they were compelled to turn commercial and add vocals and the following releases were largely forgettable.

Janos VARGA was a founding member of the original EAST, delivering long sets of thoughtful, bordering on hypnotic instrumental numbers, greatly inspired by SBB. I was one of the small number of people crammed into a tiny club week after week who were fortunate to see them then in the late '70s.

I left Hungary a long-long time ago and this album has found me absolutely by chance - and I am very grateful that it did. You know how it is. Sometimes only after the first few bars, you just know that you are onto something special. This album is one of those.

The compositions here are tightly arranged and fuse a number of different styles effortlessly in due harmony. Psychedelic, Symphonic, Jazz-Rock, Heavy-Prog are all there. This band combines Gilmour's elegance. Latimer's feel with early Mahavishnu fireworks (soaring guitars and keys duels). Ditto for SBB's better instrumental moments along with Satriani's skills - all without a slightest hint of copying those peers.

VARGA's techniques - like good wine - have aged well and have become even better than before. Since it's his project, not surprisingly he tends to take the lead much of the time, but not eclipsing the other musicians who are also excellent. In reality, it's hard to believe that all this is delivered by a trio, the music is just so full and satisfying.

In places, there is a harder edge to the guitar works, sufficient to thump your chest with excitement, yet never aggressive, or trashy. That in itself is a rare skill that few highly skilled musos have achieved. The whole delivery is professional and not a forced attempt to do more than one is equipped for.

The conclusion is that in this release VARGA and team have surpassed his former inspiration of SBB and I can hardly wait to hear what else is on offer.

Welcome back good, old EAST in new clothes!

Wings Of Revelation II

Review by BORA

4 stars Serious guitar slinging to be found here.

Firstly, don't let his long beard mislead you. He is not a ZZ TOP tribute artist, but he may ride a Harley. Well, I don't know really, but if he does, well, good on him!

Also, his surname is VARGA, Janos is Hungarian for John, therefore I'd expect to find him listed under "V", not "J" as currently is the case.

For those who are new to the game, VARGA was a founding member of the legendary Hungarian band EAST, who sadly, didn't get to record until they were compelled to compromise. They were inspired by SBB and practically Hungary's answer to that excellent Polish band. Still, a couple of their albums "Huseg" (translates as Loyalty) and "Sodom" contain elements of their better days in the '70s.

VARGA came back with his solo projects and the first one "Wings Of Revelation" is an absolute must have. This Part II of the same title is somewhat different. Probably due to a new and less adventurous keyboard player. This work has more to do with JOE SATRIANI than SBB influences.

Great guitar work throughout and I enjoy it very much from beginning to end, but whilst the album is definitely Prog, it's undoubtedly stretching the boundaries to excellent instrumental Rock.

This Part II deserves a solid 4 plus, but remains a poor cousin to Part I in comparison.

Interestingly, over the years VARGA has become a prominent leader whilst his former peer Anthymos Apostolis (guitar) of SBB has taken a back seat, mellowed out and fooling with keyboards and drums - something he should have kept private. Times are a changin'...

Regards,

Duncan

This cover creeps me out. It looks like he should be on Duck Dyna$ty.
    I'm not familiar with this artist, I'm off to check it out now.

He was one of the artists on a Periferic compilation record I reviewed about a decade ago. I liked what I heard back then but not enough to track down any of his recordings.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    This cover creeps me out. It looks like he should be on Duck Dyna$ty.
    I'm not familiar with this artist, I'm off to check it out now.
    I too am unfamiliar, and despite the uncomfortable association with the Dynassentery, I'll have to give it a listen.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Billy Gibbons brother. His cds are killer.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Good player, but not my thing (today).
    I'll put this on the list to check out again later, though, because I think I'd dig it when I'm in the mood for such stuff.

Both are great instrumental cds. I prefer Vol I slightly to Vol II

I have nothing to say about this, save for how glad I am it knocked the hideous Cardboard Amanda cover off the front page.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Actually, this does sound like my kind of thing. The sort of music I could listen to on a playlist with Vietgrove, Future Kings of England, and Ephemeral Sun.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Great stuff. I've got these 2 releases plus his next cd titled Elixir. Very good instrumental music.

thanks for the post....good stuff!!

love the first one... its what Proggers wish Satriani albums sounded more like (though I like Satch just the way he is)... I still need the 2nd one, is it in print?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

"For those who are new to the game, VARGA was a founding member of the legendary Hungarian band EAST, who sadly, didn't get to record until they were compelled to compromise. They were inspired by SBB and practically Hungary's answer to that excellent Polish band. Still, a couple of their albums "Huseg" (translates as Loyalty) and "Sodom" contain elements of their better days in the '70s."

Actually, though Huseg and Szdoma are very strong, I slightly prefer the first one Jatekok. Just avoid the East album Resek A Falon at all costs!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Much better than East.

Hmmm....never heard of him before. The song above was rather mundane at its core.

Section I: mellow meandering melody,
    Section II: A more in-the-pocket melody
    Section III: The grand soloing vamp

A very-much been-there-done-that sort of impression on me. Tastefully done however. Worthy of further investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Just avoid the East album Resek A Falon at all costs!
    Where were you 30 years ago?

I have the first one, The Wings of Revelation I. I remember being underwhelmed by it, but I haven't played it since it came out. I suppose I'll have to pull it out for a re-visit.

Need to work on the cover. Shave the beard and put a mouth on the neck. Have him roll his eyes back.

check out this band's "Respect for the Master/Gastroblues" vid on Youtube.

Fantastic fiddle playing as well as guitar.

Wow, and here I thought ZZ Top were the only musicians with long beards.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by paulus View Post
    check out this band's "Respect for the Master/Gastroblues" vid on Youtube.

Fantastic fiddle playing as well as guitar.
    Did he say fiddle?

DIIIIIIID HEEEEEE SAAAAAAAY FIIIIIDDLE !!!!!!!!

WHILE WE ALL LOOK FOR THE EJECT BUTTON, CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Did he say fiddle?

DIIIIIIID HEEEEEE SAAAAAAAY FIIIIIDDLE !!!!!!!!

WHILE WE ALL LOOK FOR THE EJECT BUTTON, CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO.

Eject button?

I don't need an eject button, I want a buy button and some extra money. Another one for my wishlist.

The short beard looks better.

good stuff!

I enjoyed the video.

Are you being snarky?