Thread: John Mayer Trio with Chick Corea

Banned

John Mayer Trio with Chick Corea

I saw this performance on tv not too long ago. I believe it was on Jimmy Fallon(the tonight show). I was surprised to see Chick there but he did good job(of course).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I saw this performance on tv not too long ago. I believe it was on Jimmy Fallon(the tonight show). I was surprised to see Chick there but he did good job(of course).
    This performance was on Late Night with Seth Myers last week.

Chick, step away from the synth, damnit!

Sorry! The man is way up at the top of my list when he plays acoustic piano or Rhodes, but he shouldn't be allowed to touch a pitch wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Chick, step away from the synth, damnit!

Sorry! The man is way up at the top of my list when he plays acoustic piano or Rhodes, but he shouldn't be allowed to touch a pitch wheel.
    As should no keyboard player...Jan Hammer proved that

Wow! That was really cool! Love the laid-back vibe!

A couple things...

1) Why is this a "trio" when there are six people on stage, including Mr. Corea? Is this like a Ben Folds Five kinda thing?

2) Has he recorded anything with this band? Is he planning on recording anything?

3) Is it just me, or does Corea look a little like Bruford when he's in the background and not exactly in focus?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    That's insane, I love synths in jazz, and both these guys are rather brilliant at it. Are you somehowe saying synths shouldn't be played by anyone??? The one who I wish would explore more synth work is Hiromi. She does play synths for effect, and tends to use them on the more whimsical songs. I'm floored by her piano playing, but I'd love to hear some different keyboard sounds from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    That's insane, I love synths in jazz, and both these guys are rather brilliant at it. Are you somehowe saying synths shouldn't be played by anyone??? The one who I wish would explore more synth work is Hiromi. She does play synths for effect, and tends to use them on the more whimsical songs. I'm floored by her piano playing, but I'd love to hear some different keyboard sounds from her.
    I think the comment was more about the pitch wheel.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think the comment was more about the pitch wheel.
    Oh, ok, that bugs me a little less. Keith Emerson apparently doesn't see the point of the pitch wheel. I respect the hell out of him, but can't at all agree.

Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    Well, I love the way Jan Hammer used the pitch wheel. And several others; Duke, Moraz, Powell, Forman, Watkins, etc. It's just Chick's usage of it (particularly that vibrato) that drives me nuts.

As for Hiromi, I don't mind her synth stuff, but I wouldn't want her to use it any more than she does. Piano is definitely her instrument (though I like when she solos on the Rhodes).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Yeh and her with Sonic Bloom is great. The show I saw at Newport Jazz was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Well, I love the way Jan Hammer used the pitch wheel. And several others; Duke, Moraz, Powell, Forman, Watkins, etc. It's just Chick's usage of it (particularly that vibrato) that drives me nuts.

As for Hiromi, I don't mind her synth stuff, but I wouldn't want her to use it any more than she does. Piano is definitely her instrument (though I like when she solos on the Rhodes).
    It seemed to work with the vibe of the song. And I for one would take Hiromi on just piano. She seems lost on any electronic keyboard. Hell, in fact I'd take her on top of the piano instead.

Banned
    Last edited by Firth; 03-06-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    It seemed to work with the vibe of the song. And I for one would take Hiromi on just piano. She seems lost on any electronic keyboard. Hell, in fact I'd take her on top of the piano instead.
    You couldn't resist that last comment.