Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Recommend some edgy and aggressive fusion

Tribal Tech
    Mahavishnu Orchestra 71-75( not Inner World!)
    Jeff Beck Wired
    Herbie Hancock - his 70s stuff
    Jean Luc Ponty Enigmatic Ocean(Holdsworth on guitar on that one)
    Soft Machine Bundles
    Billy Cobham Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Billy Cobham Spectrum
    Funny thing happened yesterday: I was in a bar and while I enjoyed my first Belgium beer I noticed the opening-tracks from Spectrum was being played through the speakers! I guess it was a compilation-album, because after that I heard lighter fusion and funk, but hearing this heavy jazz-rock in a bar! Great.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Funny thing happened yesterday: I was in a bar and while I enjoyed my first Belgium beer I noticed the opening-tracks from Spectrum was being played through the speakers! I guess it was a compilation-album, because after that I heard lighter fusion and funk, but hearing this heavy jazz-rock in a bar! Great.
    Yes there is such compilation, - at least I know one, which called simply 'The best of Billy Cobham". It starts with Quadrant 4, a mind-blowing opening track from Spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    they are trying hard, but still unable to reach Aristocrats level of excellence, that said, package of Aristocrats CDs sucks big time. they should outsource that to Taiwan.
    Saw the Aristocrats with Travis Larson Monday night. I don't know if it's me or standing venues I lose interest in bands that don't have hooks, melodies or riffs. I can't stand there all night and watch bands play 10,000 nots a song and stay interested.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

A nice Cobham compilation is Rudiments: The Billy Cobham Anthology

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=18146

Tribal Tech
    When they came out in the mid '80s, I thought they were the best thing to happen to fusion since it's heyday in the early '70s. I still think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Saw the Aristocrats with Travis Larson Monday night. I don't know if it's me or standing venues I lose interest in bands that don't have hooks, melodies or riffs. I can't stand there all night and watch bands play 10,000 nots a song and stay interested.
    Do you mean both bands, Ed? The Aristocrats do have riffs. Hooks and melodies, not so much. Terrific musicians in need of tunes. Hearing them live was exciting, but I can't listen to their albums. As for what little I've heard from Travis Larson, it sounded too much like The Steve Morse Band for me. I'd rather hear the real deal.

Yes there is such compilation, - at least I know one, which called simply 'The best of Billy Cobham". It starts with Quadrant 4, a mind-blowing opening track from Spectrum.
    Well, I don't think it was a compilation of Cobham, more a fusion-compilation with all kinds of different bands including Quadrant 4.
    Actually,I first bought "The Best Of Billy Cobham" (on LP), before I bought "Spectrum" on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I have a lot of his cds and this one is good:

I picked up En/In Concert. what do you think of that one?

Kiyo*Sen (Kiyomi Otaka and Senri Kawaguchi) - K. S. Pro (Chocolate Booster/2014)

Chocolate Booster (2014) and Duology (2015)

Last edited by proggosaurus; 08-19-2015 at 01:09 AM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Ronny Heimdal's Timequake is still a favourite.

There might be a new album out this year. Some new stuff van be heard on https://soundcloud.com/ronny-heimdal
    Ronny Heimdal has just up-dated his site. The new EP is being mixed at the moment by Alex Argento. http://www.ronnyheimdal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    Need more talk about Tauk:
    http://taukband.com/about/
    yes, there should be. I like Collisions quite a bit.

I dug out a few edgy ones I've been spinning lately plus a new one

there's no YT videos for these guys but Triton was an awesome trio from Germany who released three good ones in the early 90's....Triton, Boomerang and Vivid Dreams.

Tetsuo Sakurai released a couple of great fusion albums with Dennis Chambers and Greg Howe...Gentle Hearts and Vital World.

and last but not least, a new French band called Draw Me A Sheep. their September 2015 debut Premier Pas is short but sweet
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 09-13-2015 at 01:06 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

3 Crows, Chris Buck's fusion band, is mentioned somewhere in this thread. He recently released his third album, called It's A Murder.... I would say it's a killer
    Featuring Brett Garsed and Marco Minnemann, plus on one track Andy Kodiwein.
    Here's one of the tracks, iSlave:

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sounds decent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

He sings great without a microphone!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Mohini Dey does some superb fusion work- combining Indian music with modern fusion.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Plus, Eider Stelleaire-one of the great all-time Zuehl groups:

The hard-to-find fusion master Darryl Dobson:

Gamalon, with Nori Bucci:

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Morgan Ågren & Pierre Vervloesem

https://morganagren.bandcamp.com/alb...-international

Richard Hallebeek has just released a live-album, called Live In Alphen:

The album features songs from Hallebeek's solo-albums, but also from the Jeroen van Helsdingen Band in which he's currently playing and from Lalle Larsson.

A new Richard Hallebeek-album will be released next month, called Bumerang: https://www.richardhallebeek.com/release/bumerang/

Banned
    Holy Mackerel

A new Richard Hallebeek-album will be released next month, called Bumerang: https://www.richardhallebeek.com/release/bumerang/
    Actually it looks like Bumerang is a new band as the cover mentions "All songs written by Bumerang". In this band Hallebeek has Lorenzo Feliciati on bass and his main-man on drums Niels Voskuil.

[QUOTE=boilk;1002773]^^That is sounding sweet. For those wanting a full album listen, it is on bandcamp. Quite a world wide array of guest stars, including the seemingly ubiquitous Marco Minnemann and Frank Gambale. But wow, $25 US is the most expensive I've seen for a digital download, so almost $33 Canadian!!

https://takuyabuki.bandcamp.com/albu...s-limited-song

I am getting good mileage out of this one. US$25 was on the expensive side, but I believe it's over 65 Minutes. A lot of piano, together with the electric guitars, for something a little different. Fun compositions.