Thread: Discussion and appreciation for the band- IF and band connections to IF

Discussion and appreciation for the band- IF and band connections to IF

Just curious how many folks here enjoy the band IF.... I have been into them for a few years now and really dig the sound that the band put out especially on IF and IF2.

There are also connections to other bands in the rock world- including Foreigner in the way that Dennis Elliott was the drummer in IF, and then went on to drum in Foreigner when they became popular in the early 1980s.

Other members went to work with the likes of Herbie Mann, Procol Harum and Average White Band (Dick Morrissey)...

Some of my favorites include: What did I say about the box, Jack?, What can a friend say, Sunday Sad, and Tarmac T....

What are your thoughts on IF?
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

I am a super big fan, my favorite albums are If and If3, and also If2. They are under-rated and overlooked, imo. Some members also played on "Leigh Stephens And a Cast Of Thousands", and later the lead singer sang in a band called Rogue. The Leigh Stephens album is excellent, but never heard Rogue.
    Last edited by presdoug; 02-26-2014 at 05:55 PM.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

I dig the first four LPs, particularly the first two.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

First two are my faves.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

This sort of rather generic British take on American "jazz-rock" was and remains quite underrated, I agree. Another very good UK band of this sort were Galliard. I prefer them and If over the more commonly known Keef Hartley Band etc.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have been listening to 70's jazz-rock lately and must confess to buying the albums in the 70's and only giving them 2 to 3 spins each and then shelving them for the latest symphonic prog release.
    I mainly came to appreciate If through the easy-on-the-ear 'Not just a bunch of pretty faces' album and only now have given the early albums more time. Another reason for my rekindled interest is that the singer also went to sing on my favorite Wolf album, 'Night Music'.

I can't say it better than Jazzis..

This is the 3rd and last album by the excellent British Prog group Wolf, formed by violinist / composer Darryl Way, following his departure from Curved Air. Featuring guitarist John Etheridge, bassist Dek Messecar and drummer Ian Mosley, Wolf were a formidable ensemble, capable of playing complex music, which often included extended improvised passages. The overall instrumental work by the group was always first class and of course Way's violin solos had little competition to speak of. On this album the band also included the vocalist John Hodkinson, previously with the excellent band If. An absolute must to all Prog enthusiasts!

I was into If back when they were new, particularly the album Waterfall. But I don't think their music has aged particularly well, I think there are better examples of "the British Blood Sweat & Tears" out there, and I think in retrospect the band was a lot more derivative than innovative. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I dig the first four LPs, particularly the first two.
    Three is at least as good as the first two.... But yeah, until their fourth album (though that varies from country to country), they were quite good...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This sort of rather generic British take on American "jazz-rock" was and remains quite underrated, I agree. Another very good UK band of this sort were Galliard. I prefer them and If over the more commonly known Keef Hartley Band etc.

or Brainchild's Healing Of A Lunatic Owl for that matter...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Count me as a fan. I came to them through a "Recommended If You Like..." function on some site. As luck would have it, someone traded in 4 If CD's at the record store where I work so I snapped them up. I enjoy all four with 1-3 being the cream of the crop.

IF they had dressed in black and wore crucifixes they might had doubled their sales...

Apparently Dave Greenslade joined If for a short while and played a few gigs with them, although he didn't record. I'm told there is some live footage but I couldn't find any evidence on YouTube. can anyone help?