Thread: Hackett's Genesis Revisited: Live at Hammersmith WOW!

Hackett's Genesis Revisited: Live at Hammersmith WOW!

I see that there are a bunch of posts regarding the Genesis Revisited Tour, but none specifically about this CD/DVD compilation.

First, I have to say this is probably the best $22 I ever spent! Three CD's and 2 DVD's?! C'mon! Second, I have to say the concert DVD is amongst the best I've ever seen! The sound is great, the players are great, and the videography is great!

You really get an insight into Hackett's playing. He's so individualistic in his sound and he gets so much out of an economy of fingering that it's a true revelation. I had always thought his tapping technique utilized the fingers of his right hand, but he actually uses the side of the plectrum, much as Zappa used to do. I also didn't know he played slide guitar although now, I can't remember the song he played it on.

Lee Pomeroy on bass, 12 string, Variaxe, and pedals is also pretty fun to watch! The guy is left-handed and plays right-handed guitars upside down. I can't get my head around how that works and everything he does looks "wrong", but he just nails it! It's almost as confounding as watching Jimmy Haslip on the Holdsworth "Live at Yoshi's" DVD.

I've only gotten about 1/3 of the way through the DVD, but so far, it's just mesmerizing. My favorite part so far is "Shadow of the Heirophant". Once that little Schroederesque piano plinking builds into the majestic Ravel-like symphony of lush sound with the dual guitaring of Amanda Lehmann and Steve floating over the swelling mellotron modulations...well, it just kind of takes my breath away!

Yeah, there's more to progressive music than the old guard, but geez, does this set knock it out of the park! I'm kicking myself that I never got off my butt to see the tour. If it comes around this year, I'm doing it no matter what!

I actually think these songs are played better than Genesis ever played them. Hackett's guitar get's more of the spotlight, which is just perfect, to me! He was always sort of buried in the mix of Genesis recordings.

Anyhow, Bravo!

Thanks for the review.... perhaps I need to move that up a notch or two on my Amazon "wishlist"..

Everything is great on this Hackett dvd except the sound of the drums, ouch... a little too noisy, don't you think?

Boy, I really didn't notice that. I thought the sound was exceptional. I had the thing cranked up through my 5.1 sound system and am usually sensitive to that sort of thing. I have no complaints, sound-wise, although I haven't listened to the CD's yet. It's curious that the CD's take up 3 discs while the concert video only one. I would think that video and audio would take up more space! Oh well, screw the technical stuff. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    It's curious that the CD's take up 3 discs while the concert video only one. I would think that video and audio would take up more space! Oh well, screw the technical stuff. I love it!
    The DVD medium can hold more data than a CD can.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I need to grab a copy of this.

In the interview with Steve on the bonus disc, he starts off by explaining what led him to do this tour. I thought it was very articulate and spot on, while still being respectful to the other Genesis members. He is such a class act!