Thread: AAJ Review, Miroslav Vitous, Miroslav Vitous Group

AAJ Review, Miroslav Vitous, Miroslav Vitous Group

My review of ECM's first-time issue on CD, Miroslav Vitous' Miroslav Vitous Group, today at All About Jazz.

With the ongoing demand for historic titles to see first-time CD issue, ECM has raised the ante even further with Re:solutions: seven classic recordings, five appearing on CD for the first time, all also being released in vinyl and high resolution digital formats. They're all important, but 1981's Miroslav Vitous Group stands out as one of the most significant, completing, as it does—and more than three decades after the fact—the Czech bassist's early '80s triptych that began with1980's First Meeting and ended with 1983's Journey's End.

First Meeting was a momentous album for the Weather Report co-founder, who left the fusion supergroup in 1973, as his two post-WR recordings for other labels were largely unfocused affairs that tried to be exactly what Vitous was not: a jazz-rock/fusion bassist—and, in particular, a credible electric bassist. That all changed with Rypdal Vitous DeJohnette (ECM, 1979), the bassist's ECM debut and the first of two exceptional collaborations with Norwegian guitarist Terje Rypdal and American drummer Jack DeJohnette. Vitous' writing had evolved significantly in the decade since his particularly fine contributions to Weather Report's eponymous 1971 Columbia Records debut; between his compositional acumen and his pliant, lyrically charged double bass playing, it seemed only a matter of time before ECM would invite the bassist to record for the label under his own name.

Continue reading here...

It is by the end of 70ies, a wonderful record of Miroslav Vitous was released. It was Majestic Music, my favorite album all times. An always expanded warm sound, the music is played with acoustic string and wind instruments, Simply Beautiful.

I remember having assisted to a presentation of him, in a small pub in Geneva late 80ies when playing a solo acoustic contrabass performance.
    Last edited by highaltitude; 02-25-2014 at 12:53 PM.

I was not a fan of Vitous' electric post-Weather Report albums, which is why his first on ECM with this group, First Meeting, was such a lovely surprise. I think the three albums made with this group are his best.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Autobuy eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I was not a fan of Vitous' electric post-Weather Report albums, which is why his first on ECM with this group, First Meeting, was such a lovely surprise. I think the three albums made with this group are his best.
    It is funny. Me the albums I like the most are all post Weather Report

Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    It is funny. Me the albums I like the most are all post Weather Report
    I like his post-Weqthwr Report albums....just not his fusion/electric ones. As before, the three Miroslav Vitous Group records on ECM...Also the two albums he did with Rypdal and DeJohneete for the label were sweet...his two with Garbarek (Atmos and sTar) were also very good. The two Universal Syncopations records were good, but not as good as his earlier ECM albums from the late '70s/early '80s. His last ECM disc, Rememberung Weather Report was pretty strong, even if there was precious little to connect it to WR. I also love his very first solo album, Infinite Search.

For me, it's the albums after WR and before he hooked up with ECM that I largely don't like, though some of Guardian Amgels has its moments.

Thanks for the review. I would like to get this. I love the Rypdal/Vitous/DeJohnette albums. Any idea who will be carrying ECM's new vinyl reissues in the US, jkelman?
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

Quote Originally Posted by Septober Energy View Post
    Thanks for the review. I would like to get this. I love the Rypdal/Vitous/DeJohnette albums. Any idea who will be carrying ECM's new vinyl reissues in the US, jkelman?
    You can buy the vinyl from amazon, just as you can the CD: http://www.amazon.com/Miroslav-Vitou...v+vitous+group

Best,
    John

Cool. Thanks. I had looked for the LP on Amazon before, but either missed it or it wasn't on there yet.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy