Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Pronunciaition

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I just wanna know how to pronounce the name 'Roine'
    Or "Thijs". (I think it's like "Tayce".)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Nevada may be the king of mispronounced names. We have a town called Verdi, named for Italian composer Giuseppe Verdi. Locals insist on pronouncing it Vur-dye. We have another town, site of the first Mormon settlement in Nevada, called Genoa, named for the city in Italy. Locals insist on putting the accent on the second syllable. Juh-NO-uh. The name "Nevada" itself, from the Spanish "Sierra Nevada," meaning "snow-covered mountain range," is deliberately mispronounced with the first "a" as in cat or bad and the second "a" as "uh." Nevaaaaduh.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Let's not get started on Worcestershire...

Or Leicester.

Or Louisville, KY.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Or Louisville, KY.
    Who says that wrong??

I've heard everything from "Loo-iss-ville" to "Loo-eey-ville" to the locals' "Loo-ville."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

If you live here, it's LOO-uh-vul

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    There is a Berlin (BER-lin) Massachusetts and a Calais (CAL-is) Maine, and contrary to popular belief, there is no such place as WorCHester, MA.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Let's not get started on Worcestershire...
    Well, FWIW, there is a Wooster, Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Or Louisville, KY.
    Or "N'awlins."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    davenport or couch?
    to me, a couch is a long piece of cushiony furniture to sit on. Davenport played for a SF Giants when I was a kid.

My wife went to Boston on a business trip once. She found out quickly that Peabody, MA is pronounced 'PEE-bdee'. that was several years ago and we still joke about it.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    If you live here, it's LOO-uh-vul
    You're right, now that I think about it.

How do the locals pronounce Wilkes-Barre? In Vermont we have the town of Barre (like "berry")...which always seemed confusing due to "barre chords"...
    <sig out of order>

"Wilks Barry"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Houston Street

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    My wife went to Boston on a business trip once. She found out quickly that Peabody, MA is pronounced 'PEE-bdee'. that was several years ago and we still joke about it.
    Well, Bostonians have their own dialect altogether.

On a related note, I find it somewhat troubling that, here in the US, we have so many reality shows that have subtitles for people who are, apparently, speaking English.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I don't really understand why Americans pronounce Z "Zee". As far as I'm aware, that's the only country in the world that does so. I've spoken to some who were absolutely mystified at my pronunciation ("Zed"), and had no idea that so much of the world pronounces it that way.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Why is the word "everybody" pronounced "everybuddy" and not "every body (bawdy)?" Yeah, I've heard some northeasterners (N'Yawkers) and African-Mericans say "every-bawdy" but most people say "every buddy."

Roine is pronounced ROY-nuh.

An American mispronunciation that makes me crazy is Monticello. Thomas Jefferson's estate gets the correct pronunciation of mon-ti-CHEL-lo, but there are several cities around the U.S. with the same spelling that are pronounced Mon-ti-SELL-o. The stringed instrument is a CHello, not a SELLo. Same thing for Monticello.

Here's one that doesn't have to do with pronunciation, but I found it really odd. Apparently when the British say someone has "been here," it gets reduced to just "been." My daughter watches an English cartoon, and on more than one occasion the characters have used that construction. "The Tooth Fairy's been!" or "Santa's been!" ("Been" rhyming with "bean," of course!)

Pronunciation is one thing, getting ripped off at the pubs/bars in the U.S. is another.

Helping my 3rd-grader with her homework I had to look up some measurements. Did anyone else in the states know that our 16 oz PINT is actually 20oz in the U.K.? ( I know, I know, our beer glasses are most likely true Pint glasses anyway ;-) ).

I've worked with a lot of Brits. One word that I've heard that makes me chuckle is garage. I've heard them pronounce it like 'carriage' but with a 'g'. Also, why, do words get changed into something with an 'r' at the end. For example, when Curt Smith is talking about his daughter, Diva, he sometimes pronounces it as 'deever'. I've heard this 'r' placed at the end of words that end with a vowel.

Why is the letter Z pronounced zed?

I'm also glad we say panties in the states. You use the word knickers around the wrong company, there might be trouble. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Why is the letter Z pronounced zed?

I'm also glad we say panties in the states. You use the word knickers around the wrong company, there might be trouble. ;-)
    To say nothing of fanny.

Interesting site:

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I've worked with a lot of Brits. One word that I've heard that makes me chuckle is garage. I've heard them pronounce it like 'carriage' but with a 'g'. Also, why, do words get changed into something with an 'r' at the end. For example, when Curt Smith is talking about his daughter, Diva, he sometimes pronounces it as 'deever'. I've heard this 'r' placed at the end of words that end with a vowel.
    Jon Anderson often talks about his "idears."