Thread: Transatlantic w/Adrian Belew performing "Indiscipline"

Transatlantic w/Adrian Belew performing "Indiscipline"

Another one of the extra tunes from their new album performed with the orginal vocalist-

I like it.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Man, this cameo almost eclipsed Jon's cameo. Adrian was hysterical, what a fantastic surprise.

Scott thanks for sharing. Just curious, most of these ships have a big arena or performing theater and I notice both Spock's and TA are not using this. Did anyone?

Great clips, keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    Scott thanks for sharing. Just curious, most of these ships have a big arena or performing theater and I notice both Spock's and TA are not using this. Did anyone?
    There were a number of stages on the ship.

Pool Stage - They basically covered one of the pools on the ship and used that as the stage and the audience area. This was the "main" stage, as it is where Transatlantic did their shows to open and close the cruise. This stage could fit the most people (since it was essentially the entire pool area), but this stage also had the most egregious technical problems. Both Riverside and Haken had their sets practically ruined by issues at the pool stage.

Stardust Theater - A proper theater with a large number of seats. This is where the Spock's Beard reunion happened. This was the best place to see shows, as it had no technical issues and there were actual chairs to sit in, which is important for an old fart like me (my feet still hurt from standing for all those Pool Stage shows).

Spinnaker Lounge - A smaller, more intimate, nightclub-style place. There was a standing area near the stage, but there were also seats in the back where you could still see the stage. Jon Anderson did a terrific Q&A here.

Atrium - A wide-open indoor area with a pretty decent stage. A lot of the less known bands played here, like Next to None and Bad Salad.

Bar City - A small bar area with a tiny stage. This is where all the "Millennium" (or really young bands) performed throughout each day we weren't in port.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    There were a number of stages on the ship.

Pool Stage - They basically covered one of the pools on the ship and used that as the stage and the audience area. This was the "main" stage, as it is where Transatlantic did their shows to open and close the cruise. This stage could fit the most people (since it was essentially the entire pool area), but this stage also had the most egregious technical problems. Both Riverside and Haken had their sets practically ruined by issues at the pool stage.

Stardust Theater - A proper theater with a large number of seats. This is where the Spock's Beard reunion happened. This was the best place to see shows, as it had no technical issues and there were actual chairs to sit in, which is important for an old fart like me (my feet still hurt from standing for all those Pool Stage shows).

Spinnaker Lounge - A smaller, more intimate, nightclub-style place. There was a standing area near the stage, but there were also seats in the back where you could still see the stage. Jon Anderson did a terrific Q&A here.

Atrium - A wide-open indoor area with a pretty decent stage. A lot of the less known bands played here, like Next to None and Bad Salad.

Bar City - A small bar area with a tiny stage. This is where all the "Millennium" (or really young bands) performed throughout each day we weren't in port.
    Thanks so much it was probably the Stardust i was referring too. Surprised TA didn't do there set in there. Seats over a 1000 according to the ship specs

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    How many of this shows were all standing?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    How many of this shows were all standing?
    All of the "headline" shows were at the Pool Stage, which was all standing. Well, technically, you could sit off to the sides, but you wouldn't be able to see the stage. The Bar City stage was only standing.

All of the other stages had a mix of standing/sitting places, where the seats could easily see the stage.

What about scheduling. Were bands playing at different venues at the same time or were the performances seperated?

Bands played at the same time, but most of them played 2 sets, so if you missed one performance you could see them at another.

Here was the schedule: http://www.progressivenationatsea.com/schedule/

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    Thanks so much it was probably the Stardust i was referring too. Surprised TA didn't do there set in there. Seats over a 1000 according to the ship specs
    Yes, you're right, but there were probably at least 2,000 people on the ship. So, the Pool Stage was the only stage that they could be sure everyone would "get in" at one time to see the band.

For the pool stage, I actually thought Haken's sound was great...perhaps it depended on where you stood (as with most outdoor stages). However, when Spock's hit the pool stage, the sound was incredible for the first time. I later found out it was because their engineer, Rich Mouser, was at the mixer for them. Sheer sonic bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Bands played at the same time, but most of them played 2 sets, so if you missed one performance you could see them at another.

Here was the schedule: http://www.progressivenationatsea.com/schedule/
    Wow, some of those would have been very tough choices.

It's funny watching MP try to play Bruford. To be fair Bruford probably couldn't play Portnoy.

Yeah, these clips are fun. It's sort of like prog all stars. When does Peter Gabriel pop up?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I LIKE IT!!!

...playing little games, like, not looking at it for a whole day... and then, looking at it... to see if I still liked it.

I SORT OF DID!!!

Joking aside, Adrian makes this work. His awesomeness is uncharted.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    However, when Spock's hit the pool stage, the sound was incredible for the first time. I later found out it was because their engineer, Rich Mouser, was at the mixer for them. Sheer sonic bliss.
    Does Mouser do anything that doesn't sound amazing? I can't believe that he's not in higher demand.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Adrian makes this work. His awesomeness is uncharted.
    So true. And he's obviously loving every second of this.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Joking aside, Adrian makes this work. His awesomeness is uncharted.
    Yeah, you didn't make it into Zappa's band AND Fripp's band unless you ooze awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Does Mouser do anything that doesn't sound amazing? I can't believe that he's not in higher demand.
    Have you heard the 5.1 mix of Kaleidoscope?

No, I haven't. You're saying it's not that good?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Nice clip. Thanks for posting.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No, I haven't. You're saying it's not that good?

Unfortunately "not that good" is accurate. Of course, as always, that's just my opinion. Perhaps I expected too much as this is the style of music that can really blossom by being spread out in a MCH mix. And I am a huge TA fan. And it cost me $60 to get the 5.1 mix. But it was very front-heavy. When he did make use of the surrounds it was spectacular. Just way too conservative. Had a very stereo feel to most of it.