Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alan White-his best YES album?

I'd go with Tales followed by Relayer, Yessongs, and Drama.

Banned
    Relayer, without a doubt.

Fragile
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The one with the least shitty drum sound, so probably Drama.
    The music was hot, but my baby was not.

chalkpie
    Joe's Garage

Drama, Tormato, Relayer.

About Talk: Isn't it true that someone else played a lot of the drums on that album? Maybe Henry can clarify?

Relayer is one of the all time great Yes albums from a drum perspective. I believe it was equal to anything Bruford ever played with the band.s

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post

About Talk: Isn't it true that someone else played a lot of the drums on that album? Maybe Henry can clarify?
    Surely not Billy Sherwood?

Relayer without a doubt.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Big Generator for me (seriously, HUGE sound). Awful songs, ace drums!

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Relayer is one of the all time great Yes albums from a drum perspective. I believe it was equal to anything Bruford ever played with the band.s

Bill
    Not sure I agree with this, but Relayer is definitely his best Yes album for me. Comparing Bruford to White is apples to oranges, with two very different styles.

Relayer. White's most inventive drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Relayer. White's most inventive drumming.
    Certainly Soundchaser for sure..

Relayer, easily.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Relayer, with Drama 2nd.
    +1
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I didn't really "get" his drumming on the earlier stuff. It always sounded like he was playing the beats backwards somehow. I'm a bass player, and I can totally groove on Brufords stuff, but early Alan - ??? His snare sounded terrible on TFTO. I'm not that familiar with Relayer, though I know I really dislike Sound Chaser (Yes goes fusion?). Gates of Delirium on Yesshows is a favorite, so I guess I like half the album... Anyway, to answer the question - DRAMA. It seemed to all come together for him and the band on this one. Maybe because it's a more focused, "rock" sounding album than anything that came before it. From that point on, I dig his playing, and some of his tom sounds are great.

Red
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    Not sure I agree with this, but Relayer is definitely his best Yes album for me. Comparing Bruford to White is apples to oranges, with two very different styles.
    I'm not comparing styles here. Just the accomplishment. I believe what White accomplished on Relayer is equal to Bruford's accomplishment, if you follow me.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I'm not comparing styles here. Just the accomplishment. I believe what White accomplished on Relayer is equal to Bruford's accomplishment, if you follow me.

Bill

It's all personal taste, but I think Broof's works on his last three Yes albums far outstrip White's. Yes, to me, is at its best when the sound is tight and light. I love Alan's drumming on Relayer, but his style makes Yes sould a LOT heavier to my ears, as he tends to stick to the rock beat, rather than wander around. Yes is a much more rocking, heavier band with Alan White at drums. I could say that it similar with ELP and Carl Palmer pre versus post BSS, or even Love Beach. Listen to Palmer's work after 1980 and it is FAR heavier than his musical style of ELP's heyday, as though he really liked what Cozy Powell did and chose to adopt that style as his own.

Alan White could have easily stepped into Bonham's shoes with Squire and Plant/Page and not even miss a beat (indeed, improve on Bonzo, IMO). Bruford probably couldn't do that; hard-driving rock is simply not Bruford's style. But given the choice, I'd take anything Bruford did on his last three albums over anything White did in his career with Yes, even the tremendous Sound Chaser. For me, the Bruford Era yes is the definitive Yes sound of Alan White, as highly as I regard Alan as a hard rock drummer.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Ramshackled.........