Thread: Explanation of copyright law (alas, not about music)

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Explanation of copyright law (alas, not about music)

this guy has some very funny videos, such as his explanation of the EU
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

This is a sticky, thorny subject. As a musician I think I'm perfectly fine with copyright lapsing after 25, 28 years or so. I do understand that if you've built an empire on characters you want to maintain ownership of them, though. The irony is that it would seem shorter copyright would actually stimulate more product and output. If you can't pimp the old stuff you gotta come up with new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    If you can't pimp the old stuff you gotta come up with new stuff.
    Sure, but why allow others to pimp the old stuff? Not very long ago, there was no copyright protection for music. The more protection, the better for the artist, IMO.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I actually like the longer copyrights. Sometimes, an idea does not take off until many years later (for example, much of Lovecraft's work was not popular until after his passing) and why should an artist or writer or even musician work to develop characters and stories, images and compositions just to see someone else make money on it 30 years later? I even support the after death aspects-mainly as a protection that the work will not be bastardized or "rebooted" into a direction or statement the originator did not intend or did not approve of immediately after the passing. I am talking about issues such as what Terry Gilliam faced with Brazil (albeit he is still alive, but the incident is to the point. In that case, a network edited and inserted footage that drastically changed the message Gilliam was trying to convey ("a cruel and unjust society will exist so long as the people let it)) to a "love conquers all" story.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Copyright cans be renewed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"