Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spruance: Bungle reunion possible

Spruance: Bungle reunion possible

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/...ret_chiefs.php

"We have gotten offers. It's funny, because there is this idea that the thing that would make it happen would be a really good offer. Nobody in the band is against getting money to do music [laughs], but the real question is - I think - one of pedigree. We made those records in a state of exultation. Everybody had their own separate ideas that we were bringing together. There was very much a general excitement about all of it. We were able to cultivate these collaborative pieces and everyone was working on shaping the thing together.

"I wouldn't want to speak for Mike on this, but I think he looks at it in kind of a similar way. Unless we had that momentum pushing us - the artistic drive that was motivating us - unless that was there, we wouldn't want to do it. It would be a bad idea. You don't want to put a shitty gloss on something that stands so well against the shittiness of time.

"What's hard about it is I am of the belief that we could do that again; much more so. There are plenty of skills that have been developed in the last 14 years. There are a lot of musical ideas and a lot of fluency with each band member now that's better than it was before. But, as you see, people in the band all look at it differently. You have to be synchronized if you're going to do something like that. The synchronization just hasn't quite happened yet."
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

From what I've heard, Trevor is the holdout. Trey and Mike managed to bury the hatchet a few years ago, and are now on pretty good terms. Danny and Bar would come along for the ride. I don't know about Theo, but he might not be necessary. But it wouldn't really be Mr. B. without Trevor, and I think he had some sort of fairly major falling-out with Trey a while back.

chalkpie
    If they build it, I will come. That's disgusting, it's not what I meant.

I thought Dunn played in SC3?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Now that's a reunion I'd stand in line for.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    If they build it, I will come. That's disgusting, it's not what I meant.

Since I missed them the first time around, I don't know if I could have put that better. Of course a show in Denver would help

Just Sayin'

regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I thought Dunn played in SC3?
    He was one of the original members but only for a few years.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

chalkpie
    Funny, I've been spinning "California" a few times this past week. Burned a Bungle comp for a friend, not sure he'll dig it.

Playing in 'phones right now with a buzz:

MrBungle-MrBungle.jpg

chalkpie

Watched this whole thing the other night. Unreal.

I never felt they were 'done' musically. Dunn, Patton and Spruance have gone on to achieve remarkable things post-Bungle but this band and particularly California remain my personal favourite.
    I saw them in London doing the California stuff, having already seen them and Patton in different acts before but this was an entirely new level.
    Tim Smith was with me and it's the first time I've seen him push to the front like a teenage fan, then spend 20 minutes queuing for a T-Shirt afterwards.
    Mind blowing.

HELLS, YES!

indeed.
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

Two comments on that tour:
    • The stocky, bald guy who can occasionally be seen playing percussion is William Winant, a respected jazz and New Music percussionist. Also Danny Heifetz's drum teacher. He recorded with Bungle, and toured with them as a sideman for several years.
    • The bushy-haired keyboardist is also a sideman, and much of his role involves triggering large-scale samples of whole chunks off the California album. Apparently that record had so much going on - recording it required linking three 24-track analog decks - that there was simply no other way to perform it and get anything even resembling the album versions.

Great, defining modern-day "progressive" band. California was and remains masterful, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Its hard to think of a masterpiece album that was produced in the last 15 years yet California is exactly that

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Its hard to think of a masterpiece album that was produced in the last 15 years yet California is exactly that
    I'd agree, but if I was to sort out a single one, my choice would be the Förträngt Hushållsarbete album.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'd agree, but if I was to sort out a single one, my choice would be the Förträngt Hushållsarbete album.
    Yeah that's a great one. Not as fun as California though. Crazy Swedes.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Two comments on that tour:
    • The stocky, bald guy who can occasionally be seen playing percussion is William Winant, a respected jazz and New Music percussionist. Also Danny Heifetz's drum teacher. He recorded with Bungle, and toured with them as a sideman for several years.
    • The bushy-haired keyboardist is also a sideman, and much of his role involves triggering large-scale samples of whole chunks off the California album. Apparently that record had so much going on - recording it required linking three 24-track analog decks - that there was simply no other way to perform it and get anything even resembling the album versions.
    Makes sense. During "Ars Moriendi" I'm hearing violins, etc but not seeing them. What a pain in the ass to trigger that stuff.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I never felt they were 'done' musically. Dunn, Patton and Spruance have gone on to achieve remarkable things post-Bungle but this band and particularly California remain my personal favourite.
    I saw them in London doing the California stuff, having already seen them and Patton in different acts before but this was an entirely new level.
    Tim Smith was with me and it's the first time I've seen him push to the front like a teenage fan, then spend 20 minutes queuing for a T-Shirt afterwards.
    Mind blowing.
    Fucking great! Tim.

Agreed - the side projects of this "family" can be stellar, but I've yet to hear 3 albums that I dig more......although in all fairness I haven't heard all of it.

chalkpie

Ha - these cats are out of their minds.

chalkpie

A "homemade" documentary - I love the Chili Pepper story and feud with Anthony Kiedis! Classic.

Tim and Patton are both massive fans of each other's stuff.
    They bumped into each other at a Faith No More gig (Tim was doing the sound for the support band, Blurt) at the Brixton Academy in the 90's and both of them looked completely star struck!

Believe it or not, Bungle was the gateway band for me to expand my musical horizons past nothing but symph. All 3 albums still in heavy rotation here, and they're right at the top of my wish list for reunions.

They are pretty much single-handedly responsible for evolving my musical tastes.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Tim was doing the sound for the support band, Blurt
    Ted Milton & co.? There's a name I don't see too often anymore. Caught them live on a couple of occasions myself, and they're always something to behold.

Yeah, the same Blurt. Bob Leith, the drummer in Cardiacs, played with them for a few years, although I can't remember if he was at this time.
    Guapo now share a rehearsal space with them, trivia fans.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 02-18-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Förträngt Hushållsarbete - I love this its Classic album indeed - still for me not a masterpiece
    California is heads and shoulders above the rest of the pack
    btw Frankie - I adore the sound of this album truly unique