Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: True Detective - HBO

Regarding the sex, well that's HBO. Game of Thrones gets crap for gratuitous T&A, while True Blood (which is nothing but camp and gore) gets away with it. From what I've read, HBO feels that there must be some bare ass, boobs, or even swinging peen at least every other episode of their series because a certain part of their audience expects it. At least in this episode the two sex scenes did figure into furthering the plot. Also, Michelle Monaghan needs to call me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Regarding the sex, well that's HBO.
    Hotties&Boobies&Orgasms?

No complaints here either, some nice views.(bethinthemirror)

Funny how Cohle pointed out that Marty made a "downpayment" when he first met Beth in '95 at the bunny ranch.

Pretty obvious thought about "True Detective"....That Cohle has still been working the case all along, even though he quit the police. Theory being his storage shed is full of evidence linking all the Big People to the Yellow King, implicating some higher ups on the force, like the white haired buzz cut guy in the meeting when Rust quit.

Thus the ultimate
    True Detective.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 02-24-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Are you guys aware that they might be heading in a precursor to Lovecraft's direction with all the Carcosa/The Yellow King references? i for one am down and that's news to me - the whole there was someone who inspired Lovecraft...look into it and you can even find a copy; it's by one Robert W. Chambers entitled The King In Yellow, still haven't read it, but it equates to mind-bending psychological dread that one would encounter with "ancient ones" etc.

i agree that i find a sick delight in some of the dialogue and think it's funny too...the show keeps getting better for me as well.

Also, they're supposed to be one-offs per season...new characters, new cases, etc...i wonder if any link such as the Chambers' stuff would be a motif though?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Are you guys aware that they might be heading in a precursor to Lovecraft's direction with all the Carcosa/The Yellow King references? i for one am down and that's news to me - the whole there was someone who inspired Lovecraft...look into it and you can even find a copy; it's by one Robert W. Chambers entitled The King In Yellow, still haven't read it, but it equates to mind-bending psychological dread that one would encounter with "ancient ones" etc.

i agree that i find a sick delight in some of the dialogue and think it's funny too...the show keeps getting better for me as well.

Also, they're supposed to be one-offs per season...new characters, new cases, etc...i wonder if any link such as the Chambers' stuff would be a motif though?
    You need to read this if you haven't already....

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate ​True Detective

As for a motif for upcoming seasons, maybe, but I think since this is an anthology, it is not just the actors that will change, but so will the brains behind the scenes. It would be interesting if the Chambers stuff sticks around, but I think the motif is in the terms True Detective, as in my theory above...

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    You need to read this if you haven't already....

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate ​True Detective

As for a motif for upcoming seasons, maybe, but I think since this is an anthology, it is not just the actors that will change, but so will the brains behind the scenes. It would be interesting if the Chambers stuff sticks around, but I think the motif is in the terms True Detective, as in my theory above...
    Great link, thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If I'm not alone, can someone either start a Banshee thread or tell me that I won't have 0 replies and I'll start it.
    My 82 year old father has been raving about Banshee (he is also a fan of True Detective), but I have not checked it out yet. He loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My 82 year old father has been raving about Banshee (he is also a fan of True Detective), but I have not checked it out yet. He loves it.
    Since your father is more my generation than you are, Steve, I hope this show has viewers outside the senior citizen spectrum.

Well worth checking out.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I appreciate the spoilers as we are only on episode 1 in the UK, it screened last Saturday and I was instantly hooked. I watch very little TV really but these two actors made it a must see series, and the dark subject matter is right up my viewing street. I am going to have to watch it again before the next episode because the dialogue is difficult to pick out for a Londoner on first hearing, and I do not want to miss anything!

I'll pop back in here and read the rest of this thread once I get to the end.

Yeah, that was basically the article i was playing off of...i tracked down the book too in PDF form...haven't read it yet though...should before the season's over.

Haunted Houses Episode 6 spoilers:

Rusts' interview with Tuttle is naturally going to be a key going forward.
    Yeah, especially considering Tuttle lied about why Ferrar was terminated. (the drunk reverend said he found pics of naked kids but Tuttle said he was fired for embezzlement) giving me the feeling he's covering something up.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight
    That Cohle has still been working the case all along, even though he quit the police. Theory being his storage shed is full of evidence linking all the Big People to the Yellow King, implicating some higher ups on the force, like the white haired buzz cut guy in the meeting when Rust quit.
    I agree with the first & second parts. Not so sure about the third, tho it wouldn't surprise me. Hell, for that matter, the Captain could be in on it, too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yeah, especially considering Tuttle lied about why Ferrar was terminated. (the drunk reverend said he found pics of naked kids but Tuttle said he was fired for embezzlement) giving me the feeling he's covering something up.

No doubt Tuttle is involved, but I am not clear myself on who exactly "Austin Ferrar" is. The Reverend's name is Joel Theriot.

I agree with the first & second parts. Not so sure about the third, tho it wouldn't surprise me. Hell, for that matter, the Captain could be in on it, too.

The "buzz cut" guy on the couch was also around when the higher ups wanted to give the case over to the task force early on. (I don't mean the guy who suspended Rust.) That's why I think he may be connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    No doubt Tuttle is involved, but I am not clear myself on who exactly "Austin Ferrar" is. The Reverend's name is Joel Theriot.

The "buzz cut" guy on the couch was also around when the higher ups wanted to give the case over to the task force early on. (I don't mean the guy who suspended Rust.) That's why I think he may be connected.

The "buzz cut" guy on the couch was also around when the higher ups wanted to give the case over to the task force early on. (I don't mean the guy who suspended Rust.) That's why I think he may be connected.[/COLOR]
    I think Ferrar was the senior pastor who had all the photos of little nekid kids
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Buzz cut guy is Commander Speece and the guy who suspended Cohle is Major Salter. As for Speece's (or Salter's) connection, sure, anything's possible. But, don't forget that one of the charities Tuttle has donated to as part of his "legacy program" was the State Policeman's Charity (another thing he mentioned in the interview w/Cohle). That can buy a lot of influence. I'm not saying that's the case, mind you. I'm just keeping an open mind to all possibilities regardless of plausibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think Ferrar was the senior pastor who had all the photos of little nekid kids
    You are correct, Sir.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I hope the ending doesn't let us down but it has been so entertaining to have a show that has this many threads and possibilities, so many clues strewn around the place (and likely some red herrings as well), and such great performances from its two main actors (though not much material for anyone else). Every forum and review site I go to has been going absolutely nuts on this.

i think in the end this series' themes will amount to just more religious grotesqueries masquerading as "occult" with a sprinkling of infidelity thrown in...i would like the "occult" end to be played up more amorphously and ambiguously though.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 02-26-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Of course, I hope we get an ending that blows us all out of the water.

But I prefer to maintain low expectations. This is a show that is the very definition of the idea of enjoying the journey while not worrying all that much about the destination.

One direction the show seems to be going that I am not really all that thrilled about uncovering- Marty's oldest daughter. Something disturbing happening there. "Right under my nose."

Theories out there like Maggie's father is involved with the abuse. Or that the daughter may be a victim of the cult. (Ugh)

For those curious, finished The Yellow King last night...it's absolutely non-essential to the show...they've, not to mention Lovecraft, taken the rarely developed subtext of Carcosa etc and ran with it in spades.

I'm about half way through the short story and I have yet to see anything ... ANYTHING ... that this has to do with the show, other than the name. Not worth the read for any other reason either.

After the Oscars I saw an interview with Mr Matthew and he said he would not be back for season 2. Wonder what they are going to do at the end of season 1 now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

When the show was first reported to be in production, it was announced that each 8 episode season would be a different story with different actors.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Sunlight/Chris, you may wish to pass on this video. While all in good fun (and not particularly spoilery), it does utilize footage and references to episodes that have not yet aired in the UK. For the rest of you, this is good for a chuckle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zTSDFiI24

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    When the show was first reported to be in production, it was announced that each 8 episode season would be a different story with different actors.
    Yes, it will be very similar to "American Horror Story". Different storylines every year and different actors (although AHS uses the same actors in different roles many times).

Fantastic ending, although I think they could have tightened it up a bit, seemed to go on a little too long. I did not like the Rust=Jesus angle all that much either.

I don't think I understand how Marty made the green painted house leap to spaghetti monster's green ears? It was great how they they followed that up, but seems like a real thin thread to follow to unravel the whole case...

Another really awesome touch was Errol's chilling voiceover while luring Rust in to the throne of the Yellow King.

This is Carcosa. Ledoux and (fatguy) were just acolytes. I am the master....etc.

Another really awesome touch was Errol's chilling voiceover while luring Rust in to the throne of the Yellow King.

This is Carcosa. Ledoux and (fatguy) were just acolytes. I am the master....etc.
    Yeah, what was that all about? I couldn't figure out if it was all in his head or if he really heard it.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I enjoyed the final episode, altho I would've written the ending a little differently. My gripe with the last few episodes was not getting to wallow in Scarface's world a little longer (the investigation during the last two episodes went just a tad too quick, imo). They could have tightened up the earlier narrative a little and ended episode 6 with what occurred at the end of episode 7, with Scarface on the tractor and revealing the scars (did anyone notice how he was mowing the grass? in a swirl, like the mark on the dead Lange girl). Then create tension between the Dynamic Duo closing in on Scarface and showing a lot more of Scarface at the school he was painting while also planning his next kidnapping of one of those kids, enabling us to get into his head more.

The part of the ending that bothered me was Rust indicating he's having another "episode", where he tastes aluminum, which lead up to his hallucination which then lead to Scarface successfully bum rushing him. If Rust was about to have another hallucination, and given the lack of phone service, WTF didn't they go call for backup then? (for that matter, why did Rust & Marty split up in the first place? Cops don't split up like that)

However, if they introduced Scarface in an earlier episode and created the tension the way I suggested, the impetus for Rust & Marty moving in without backup would be to save any possible kidnapped child(ren).

I also wasn't thrilled with the whole fight scene. After Rust got stabbed, Scarface could have pushed him down on the ground and as Rust is dying, they could have gotten into a philosophical debate – nihilism vs insanity (could have been hilarious, like his monologues early in the season) – before Marty comes in & pops a cap in Scarface's noggin. We could have also learned a bit more about Scarface's history/motivation.

It just seems like the show was an A/A- up until that last episode, which should have been an A+ and not the A-/B+ it was. Oh well.