Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Stanley on R&R Hall Of Fame - Not An Honor

Paul Stanley on R&R Hall Of Fame - Not An Honor

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...-hall-of-fame/

Kiss singer Paul Stanley has called the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame “tainted, corrupted and distorted” on the eve of the band’s induction.The New York band have been eligible for the last 15 years, but were only accepted after a huge push from their fans. Speaking exclusively to Classic Rock, Stanley explains just why he’s unimpressed by the accolade – and whether Ace Frehley and Peter Criss are invited.

Did you feel honoured at being inducted in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame?

No, it was done begrudgingly and because it had become absolutely ludicrous that they were choosing to ignore us. At the end of the day most people don’t realise that the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame was a privately created establishment and that it has a self-appointed board. It’s a perfect case of perception becoming reality. People heard ‘Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame’ and gave it credibility. So whether it deserves the title has to be weighed against who it inducts. So was it an honour to be nominated? No. It means a lot to the fans and I understand it because it’s validation for them. So for that reason I accept graciously and accept on their behalf.

My feelings and my ambivalence about the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame hasn’t changed any. Their attitude is elitist and it doesn’t reflect the public. It reflects a small group who dictate who meets the criteria that they set up as ‘rock and roll’. I’ve always felt the spirit of rock and roll meant not only ignoring your critics, but ignoring your peers and going your own way. I think we’ve done that pretty much with few exceptions for 40 years. So that same criteria that kept us out has not gotten us in. I scratch my head a little and I also take issue with a certain arrogance within that group.

Nonetheless I look at some of the inductees and any club that has Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and The Who and the Beatles and the Stones is company I don’t mind being in and my feelings have nothing to do with any of them, it purely has to do with a system which I think is tainted, corrupted and distorted.

Are you looking forward to playing it?

Honestly, I have no plans at the moment to do anything, and that includes playing with Ace and Peter or anyone else. My plan at the moment is to go and accept the award. Anything else, we’ll see how it unfolds or unravels. It was interesting to me, or offensive to me, that when the question was broached with the hierarchy about inducting additional members it was shut down immediately as ‘a non starter,’ which to me is arrogant. People who sit behind desks need to respect the people who are actually either inductees or possible inductees into this so-called hallowed organization. So the fact that there are 30 or 40 or 50 or some absurd number of Grateful Dead members all inducted, the fact that all of the Chili Peppers, including people who played on early albums that never amounted to very much are not inducted, the fact that John Rutsey, the drummer on the first Rush album is not inducted, the fact that Rob Trujillo, who’s a great guy but didn’t play on any of the classic Metallica albums, was inducted after being in the band six years makes me wonder exactly what are the rules? If the rules don’t apply to everybody then they’re not rules.

Do you plan to bring Ace and Peter up onstage with you?

Of course it goes without saying that Ace and Peter deserve this moment in the spotlight.We wouldn’t be here without them. We couldn’t have built what we did without them at the foundation. That being said, we couldn’t have built what we built without a lot of people who followed them. We couldn’t have been here without them and we couldn’t be here today with them. So absolutely, of course they deserve and belong up there.

Ace and Peter jammed together at recent party for That Metal Show presenter Eddie Trunk. How did you feel about that?

I didn’t feel one way or the other. I don’t own those songs, I only wrote ‘em. There’s nothing to guard or lock away. Those songs are public domain and they played on those songs so why wouldn’t they play them? For that matter, why wouldn’t anybody play them?

Well, his points are certainly valid. But, this is also coming from a guy who likely wouldn't have made it without putting on the ridiculous makeup.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Can't disagree with any of that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stanley View Post
    It was interesting to me, or offensive to me, that when the question was broached with the hierarchy about inducting additional members it was shut down immediately as ‘a non starter,’ which to me is arrogant. People who sit behind desks need to respect the people who are actually either inductees or possible inductees into this so-called hallowed organization. So the fact that there are 30 or 40 or 50 or some absurd number of Grateful Dead members all inducted, the fact that all of the Chili Peppers, including people who played on early albums that never amounted to very much are not inducted, the fact that John Rutsey, the drummer on the first Rush album is not inducted, the fact that Rob Trujillo, who’s a great guy but didn’t play on any of the classic Metallica albums, was inducted after being in the band six years makes me wonder exactly what are the rules? If the rules don’t apply to everybody then they’re not rules.
    This is a part of the R&R HoF I just don't get. I too thought it was absurd that Trujillo got inducted, when Bruce Johnston, Ricky Fataar & Blondie Chaplin were left out of the Beach Boys induction. Same with Heart, leaving out the bassist and drummer from their '80s years when Heart became huge. It seems to be completely arbitrary who some committee chooses to represent the band.

I know Chris Squire has mentioned in interviews that he would like all 18 Yes members to be inducted, but he clearly has no say. That will be an interesting one - surely the Hall will think of the Howe/Squire/White/Wakeman/Anderson "classic" lineup - but how do you leave out Bruford? Using the Heart example, does Rabin get left out? And if you use the Metallica example - do Downes & Davison get in? I would guess that Moraz, Horn, Brislin, Khoroshev, O Wakeman, and David would be automatically left out because of their short time with the band, but what of Kaye, Banks or Sherwood? And what's wrong with inducting all of them? Can they not afford the extra dinners for these guys at the ceremony? Too much to pay for extra engraving on the plaque?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Can they not afford the extra dinners for these guys at the ceremony?
    From the info I got, everyone attending has to pay for their own seat and/or table. If an inductee wants to invite a guest, the hall allows that… for $3000.

I agree with just about everything he says. I think the R&R Hall of Fame is a sham, and he descries it perfectly. I particularly found this part interesting:

"I’ve always felt the spirit of rock and roll meant not only ignoring your critics, but ignoring your peers and going your own way. I think we’ve done that pretty much with few exceptions for 40 years. So that same criteria that kept us out has not gotten us in. I scratch my head a little and I also take issue with a certain arrogance within that group."

He could easily be talking about many of the well known Progressive Rock bands.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, his points are certainly valid. But, this is also coming from a guy who likely wouldn't have made it without putting on the ridiculous makeup.
    That's irrelevant because he did make it.

RnRHoF never seemed to me an institution (even THAT is too strong a word) worthy of any kind of credibilty (Cleveland?? Really,,, )

It's why I never particpated to these numerous RORHOF inclusion petition threads

After all, hy would any self-respecting artiste want to be included in a second Mme Tussaud gallery....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I say induct all Yesmen, except Sherwood.

And Paul Stanley's replies were great.
    Chad

I'm with Paul on this one but I wish they had the balls to actually not show up.

Gene probably wants to open his own KISS HALL OF FAME, and charge a nice entry fee. Kidding aside, I agree completely with Paul Stanley. Kudos to him.

He's just channeling Groucho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho Marx
    I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER.

I've always despised Kiss but I totally agree with Stanley on this...I'm sure the only reason Gene is attending is it might drum up interest in KISS toilet paper or the other hundreds of ridiculous things he licenses to keep making nothing but a glorified bar band with makeup a ton of money...more like Rock and Roll Hall of Shame
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Gene probably wants to open his own KISS HALL OF FAME, and charge a nice entry fee. Kidding aside,
    When asked about the Hall of Fame recently and through the years, Gene often says, "yes, I'm thinking of buying the place"

Merchandising over music. I guess it's fitting that Kiss should get in based on a fan write-in campaign. It completes the irrelevancy of the action.

Geez, today Im sounding like a KISS groupie but, in reality, with the impact that they had - they should have been one of the FIRST bands in the RRHoF....same with Rush, Yes, Jeff Lynne, and Deep Purple (the latter two still aren't in the HoF). In an unbiased Hall Of Fame, all five of those should have been toward the front.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'm with Paul on this one but I wish they had the balls to actually not show up.
    They could write a 'piss off'" letter ala the Sex Pistols. i agree with Mr. Paul. that said, my wife was assuming we would visit the place sometime; she was really surprised when I said I wasn't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Merchandising over music.
    Merchandising in addition to music.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Geez, today Im sounding like a KISS groupie but, in reality, with the impact that they had - they should have been one of the FIRST bands in the RRHoF....same with Rush, Yes, Jeff Lynne, and Deep Purple (the latter two still aren't in the HoF). In an unbiased Hall Of Fame, all five of those should have been toward the front.
    Not a Kiss fan either, but no doubt they should have been in a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Geez, today Im sounding like a KISS groupie but, in reality, with the impact that they had - they should have been one of the FIRST bands in the RRHoF....same with Rush, Yes, Jeff Lynne, and Deep Purple (the latter two still aren't in the HoF).
    The latter three.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    They could write a 'piss off'" letter ala the Sex Pistols. i agree with Mr. Paul. that said, my wife was assuming we would visit the place sometime; she was really surprised when I said I wasn't interested.
    Well, an induction will translate into cash; the back catalog always picks up plus I'm sure there's fees for the live appearance. So they won't cut of their noses to spite their faces. It would be epic if Gene did buy it

Deep Purple, Savoy Brown, Status Quo, Thin Lizzy - all seem obvious to me. To not have them is ridiculous. We've been down this road many times, sadly.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, an induction will translate into cash; the back catalog always picks up plus I'm sure there's fees for the live appearance. So they won't cut of their noses to spite their faces. It would be epic if Gene did buy it
    I've never been a Kiss fan, and Paul and Gene both have PLENTY of cash. But if Gene bought the place, then I might be interested in visiting. I really like his sense of humor & smarts.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Paul and Gene both have PLENTY of cash.
    More never hurts

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have zero time for KISS but all Paul's points here are valid.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.