Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack White

Jack White

Living in Michigan The White Stripes were a club band long before they ever hit it big. To be honest I thought they sucked and never gave them the time of day. However, Jack White has been growing on me over the years to the point where I think his last album “Blunderbuss” is pretty damn awesome. I have also become a fan of some of his side projects like The Dead Weather. Just wondering what people here think about him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Living in Michigan The White Stripes were a club band long before they ever hit it big. To be honest I thought they sucked and never gave them the time of day. However, Jack White has been growing on me over the years to the point where I think his last album “Blunderbuss” is pretty damn awesome. I have also become a fan of some of his side projects like The Dead Weather. Just wondering what people here think about him.
    Hi Steve,

I'm one of those who thinks he has the golden touch, White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather, people he's produced like The Greenhorns, Loretta Lynn's Van Leer Rose album (f'king fantastic!), solo album, appearance in the documentary It Might Get Loud - all good in my book.

Like it or not, you can't deny the guy has a unique style that comes out in everything he does. I happen to like it a lot.

I love Blunderbuss. Great tunes and a great band. Jack gets a little too consumed with gimmicks but he's a great songwriter, a decent guitarist, and fantastic singer. By gimmicks I mean the style that the White Stripes dressed in, Meg's "primitive" drumming, the all woman band he has now, etc. If you watch It Might Get Loud, he's pretty much consumed by presenting a persona and really doesn't show the person behind the facade until he plays with the Edge and Jimmy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I never "got" the Stripes, but I never tried very hard either. Jack seems like a fairly cool guy. I'll check out Blunderbuss.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

I'm one of those who thinks he has the golden touch, White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather, people he's produced like The Greenhorns, Loretta Lynn's Van Leer Rose album (f'king fantastic!), solo album, appearance in the documentary It Might Get Loud - all good in my book.

Like it or not, you can't deny the guy has a unique style that comes out in everything he does. I happen to like it a lot.
    Totally agree.

I wonder if Jack White and Jack Black have ever considered working together?

His music has not really moved me, but I need to give him some kudos because he has been a tireless booster for Detroit, where I have friends' kids working the music scene (JSB Squad, Jesse and the Gnome) and in theater (Magenta Giraffe Theater). I grew up there.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Hi Steve,

Are you familiar with Smoke Fairies (I *think* he produced their third album)? I like them a lot.

I think Jack White's pretty talented, though I haven't heard that much of his stuff since the earlier days of White Stripes. So does White Stripes still exist? I wasn't into the drummer at all, even if she wasn't his sister/bride!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-07-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

I haven't really gotten past the first White Stripes CD. that's how much I dig it. I know there are great songs on other albums (cause I have a handful of WS shows on CDR). imo Jack is a brilliant songwriter & performer and I always thought Meg's drumming was Very entertaining; it doesn't have to be complex to be good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I love Blunderbuss. Great tunes and a great band. Jack gets a little too consumed with gimmicks but he's a great songwriter, a decent guitarist, and fantastic singer.
    I used to dismiss this guy as a Jimmy Page wannabe, and because of the "gimmick" shit. Sometimes it seemed that he spent more time on image than on the music itself. White Stripes did nothing for me. I mean, shit, if you're gonna be just guitar and drums, then at least get someone who can actually play the drums. All that aside, I started to loosen up a bit when I saw It Might Get Loud, and more recently in an interview with Charlie Rose that really convinced me that he is much more of a purist than I gave him credit for, and that he has a genuine reverence for rock and roll in all of it's mutations. I'm sold on the guy, more so than I am on his own music. I think he makes a better producer, to be honest.

I don't care for his music at all but, then of course, it isnt exactly my cup o' tea. Most of what i hear by him sounds "sophmoric" compared to the abilities of other songwriters.

I do agree that he seems like a cool dude to hang out with.

I also agree that he appears to have the "golden touch" although I know a lot of people who write music (and way better than what I heard of White's output) but don't have that attribute and will be unknowns forever

I bought a White Stripes album ("Elephant") so I could have something from him in my collection...on the whole the album doesn't do much for me except the song "Hardest Button to Button" which I think is an absolutely fantastic rock song! Saw the movie "It Might Get Loud" and it was entertaining but mostly because of Pagey...
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I love Blunderbuss. Great tunes and a great band. Jack gets a little too consumed with gimmicks but he's a great songwriter, a decent guitarist, and fantastic singer. By gimmicks I mean the style that the White Stripes dressed in, Meg's "primitive" drumming, the all woman band he has now, etc. If you watch It Might Get Loud, he's pretty much consumed by presenting a persona and really doesn't show the person behind the facade until he plays with the Edge and Jimmy.
    The gimmick thing with the White Stripes is what turned me off as well. They used to play a club here in Kalamazoo a lot before they got big, but it always seemed to be image over substance to me. I had friends who were totally into them though. Anyway, I think White has come a long way since those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    His music has not really moved me, but I need to give him some kudos because he has been a tireless booster for Detroit, where I have friends' kids working the music scene (JSB Squad, Jesse and the Gnome) and in theater (Magenta Giraffe Theater). I grew up there.
    Agreed, one thing that can be said about Detroit musicians is that most of them keep their hometown near their heart. Kid Rock is the same way. Love him or hate him there is no denying that he is an ambassador for the city and the state in general.

I am a bit of a fan I have 4 albums by Jack and like them all. 2 by the Raconteurs and Elephant and Icky Thump By the White Stripes. I happen to think Icky Thump is his finest work. Love the songs and crazy fuzzy guitar work.
    Last edited by Jay G; 04-01-2014 at 08:02 PM.

His new album drops in June, here's a new song and it's a nasty little instrumental

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

First, there was "that song". The one I heard everywhere yet never knew where I heard it because I never played it. Who is this, I asked, and no one knew. My mental jukebox retained this song and it would make infrequent appearances in the playlist.

Yet, I still knew not who did "that song".

After many months, the investigation revealed the perpetrators to be The White Stripes. I was aghast. How did THIS CRAP , this so called music, get into my head?

Well, it is kind of catchy. So much so that there isn't a college basketball game that goes by without the student body chanting this one. Looks like it will go up there with tunes like We Will Rock You and that Gary Glitter thing and become a sports anthem.

Since I first was introduced to The White Stripes, I have been diligent in my quest to ignore, at all costs, this "band". Because of "that song", I will now be tormented, knowing that every time I turn on a game, they will most likely be there. TWS will be laughing at me, probably long after my death, all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Maybe while sharing a pot of Earl Grey's Tea between them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    First, there was "that song".
    I probably like it, but what's the name of the song?

Never mind. I did the research. I love that song, but it's super annoying to hear that riff from a crowd of sports fans.

I thought the White Stripes were ok, but I really like Jack White. Very unique. Blunderbus is excellent.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I really liked what he did on Its Gonna Get Loud, but haven't been able to get into anything else of his

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I probably like it, but what's the name of the song?
    After being haunted by that song you would think I would remember the title once I found out. Nope. Didn't look it up for the post but I see you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    After being haunted by that song you would think I would remember the title once I found out. Nope. Didn't look it up for the post but I see you found it.

Yea, I am curious too. Not sure what song you are talking about.