Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prog fans hyping prog bands

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Don't you wish you could change the name of the band now, Fred?
    Gas Hammer, Grass Hammer, Ass Slammer... I knew they'd all happen at some point *lol*

I actually think our personal journey of Hype happened in three stages. First was when we were brand new and we did get out and do it ourselves, because dammit, someone had to. It took a while to figure out the Netiquette of UseNet, originally, and later forums and the like. Then we backed off but some zealous fans sort of took it up. Then we got them sorted and all was well, but we eventually wound up hiring a certain publicist who was right where we were at the beginning mindset-wise and he immediately started pumping out those press releases that would say "For immediate release, coming soon, the new modern masterpiece from world renowned masters of Progressive Rock, the incomparable and legendary Glass Hammer blah blah blah!!! because again, that's how you do it in his world and he just didn't know. And we'd tell him, we'd beg him not to, at least not on the internet and he just never got it. He's since moved on, and now we do make a point of always creating some good over the top hype for every album, just for old times sake. The new one will, in fact, be greater than any music ever known, will probably cure cancer in listeners, and will produce weeping and joy-based hysteria in the strongest men, while previously frigid women will have orgasms just touching the disc.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    we eventually wound up hiring a certain publicist who was right where we were at the beginning mindset-wise and he immediately started pumping out those press releases that would say "For immediate release, coming soon, the new modern masterpiece from world renowned masters of Progressive Rock, the incomparable and legendary Glass Hammer blah blah blah!!! because again, that's how you do it in his world and he just didn't know. And we'd tell him, we'd beg him not to, at least not on the internet and he just never got it.
    So.....you used The Flower Kings' publicist?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ass Slammer now sounds more like Yes than Yes EVER did!

So.....you used The Flower Kings' publicist?
    No but... they are certainly cut from the same cloth I don't think it's the same people, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That was one album! Well, we thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No Jon, No Ass.

Sorry, this was too good to pass up
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Banned
    Now you got me, there's nothing like the Big Jonson. Especially since the Big Vibrator.

I confess to having been a bit put off by the "Ass Hammer" (as some of my friends called them) hype around the time of Nearfest 2003. I actually enjoy a lot of their music now, so it's interesting I wasn't willing to give them a chance back then.

As to this topic in general, I've been an overenthusiastic fan myself in the past. I used to vigorously defend the Weed Princes (hey, I think I just came up with a new name for my band ) back in the late 90's. I think I've gotten much more cynical in my old age, and a much thicker skin, as I have realized that there is no accounting for taste.......especially my own. I take all hype with a very large grain of salt, and just make my own decisions about what will appeal to me or not.

Ugh this is tough. First of all, I know the forthcoming Cumulus Blay cd blows the first 3 CumuloNimbus Blay albums out of the water, so to speak, but if I say it, then expectations will be too high and it wont live up to expectations. On the other hand, if I say it sucks, it will surpass everyone's expectations, but no one will bother to listen to it, since they are told it sucks. What to do... I guess just quietly put it out there, hope someone listens to it, hope someone likes it, and don't worry how much of a financial loss I get to write off next year...

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Ugh this is tough. First of all, I know the forthcoming Cumulus Blay cd blows the first 3 CumuloNimbus Blay albums out of the water, so to speak, but if I say it, then expectations will be too high and it wont live up to expectations. On the other hand, if I say it sucks, it will surpass everyone's expectations, but no one will bother to listen to it, since they are told it sucks. What to do... I guess just quietly put it out there, hope someone listens to it, hope someone likes it, and don't worry how much of a financial loss I get to write off next year...
    Yes, you're learning That's basically what I did with my solo album (See sig). See how I worked that in there??

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yes, you're learning That's basically what I did with my solo album (See sig). See how I worked that in there??
    Ah yes. Very clever. And of course, since with bandcamp you can pay more than the asking price, I couldn't just pay $2 for your album

Ah yes. Very clever. And of course, since with bandcamp you can pay more than the asking price, I couldn't just pay $2 for your album
    Right! Ask for little, hope for more... and thank you btw!

I've never bought a digital album before. For $2, your album might just be the first, trurl. I just wouldn't want to hype it if it was good, mind you. ;-) Your one song title reminds me of this guy.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.45311...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

What the feck, if a progfan isn't going to hype a progband, who the hell will? ;-)

I am an upbeat, excitable guy by nature. So I get all fired up if I really like something - but I won't say something I don't mean - and if my creative verbiage sucks you in, and you start believing my shimmering electrified depictions, well, just tell yourself to go listen on YouTube first. Or foind a Prog version of Mikey ("he hates everything") and read his reviews.

PS - still LOVE me some Bars Bollow!

Funny thing about hype whether appreciated or not, is that every time a CD gets hyped it almost always translates into a sale of at least one unit to someone out there. Brocco bama CDs are rollin off the shelves.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    PS - still LOVE me some Bars Bollow!
    Minnakill's not so bad either.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I defend people that sometimes over hype a CD that is new to them. I know sometimes that I hear an album that I really enjoy and can't help but tell people about it. Is that really so bad?

Library Jon

It depends on how it's done. Imo, it's ok to say you enjoy it but to frame it in such a way that suggests you are stupid, tone deaf or don't like prog if the other person doesn't like it is just wrong imo. Person a can only speak for person a.

Just so we know, I was not trying to suggest that Gobbler or Bars Bollow or whoever are not good bands or are not talented. They most certainly are. I do not blame the bands or the artists either for the most part for any of it. They are just making music and besides sometimes you have to be your own publicist. I totally get that. I just know that I have been let down in the past by some people's going on about certain bands or albums like they are the new Guess or Jennysis when that was not the case not even close.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-12-2014 at 02:15 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I've never bought a digital album before. For $2, your album might just be the first, trurl. I just wouldn't want to hype it if it was good, mind you. ;-) Your one song title reminds me of this guy.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.45311...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

What the feck, if a progfan isn't going to hype a progband, who the hell will? ;-)
    The record company? The promoters? Hey if you are going to hype it you may as well get paid for it. Let's hype every half way decent prog band and not just one or two bands. Let's at least be fair and not over focus on one band while neglecting others. I suppose this is my biggest issue; where it becomes more like spam.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Cumulus Blay [...] CumuloNimbus Blay
    Cunningulus Sherry, that is. Not port, I prefer the other sweet stuff.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't mind actual band members who are regular members here promoting their music. There are a few here who are members of bands and seem like regular blokes who participate in all kinds of discussions. It's the single-minded approach by fan's who's only purpose is to promote, promote, promote that get annoying. They're almost like automatons, or auto-bots who just have no other purpose on the forums but to promote, hype, and defend their one, and only favorite band in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I don't mind actual band members who are regular members here promoting their music. There are a few here who are members of bands and seem like regular blokes who participate in all kinds of discussions. It's the single-minded approach by fan's who's only purpose is to promote, promote, promote that get annoying. They're almost like automatons, or auto-bots who just have no other purpose on the forums but to promote, hype, and defend their one, and only favorite band in the world.
    Completely agree, Vic. I like it when a band member comes here to talk about their band, participate in other discussions, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah I really like a lot of the bands that have been hyped and felt the hype was deserved, such as Wrangle a Tard, Pig Pig Brain, Brass Rammer, Cars Follow, Drinking Keg, etc...

And I somewhat like the very very hyped, Even Still Sun.

Completely agree, Vic. I like it when a band member comes here to talk about their band, participate in other discussions, etc.
    I absolutely HATE it when band members try to participate in other discussions

They shouldn't pretend that they are like real people. Band members aren't real people, they're horrible farces of humanity with minds like stale oatmeal. When they aren't whoring themselves out for what they laughably pretend to be their "art" they are fumbling around like a teenager navigating his first push-up bra in the dark. It's just uncomfortable for everyone involved.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com