Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles '14 remasters

The Beatles '14 remasters

Just wondering if anyone here has heard any of the recently released Beatles remasters. Do they sound different than previous versions?

I bought the box on amazon markedplace at half price, and I must say that they sound clearer, more detailed but still well balanced ine any way, compared to my older 'stand alone' cd's.
    Didnt know there was an US edition as well.

Over at the Steve Hoffman Music Forums (where it's an ongoing joke that every thread eventually ends up having The Beatles mentioned) indications are that the stereo mixes for Help! and Rubber Soul on these new issues are in fact the 1987 remixes and not the original USA Capitol Records mixes. If that's the case then it can be seen as a big screw-up on Apple's part as one would think the intention of these reissues is that they would replicate the albums that American Beatles fans fondly remember from the 1960's. Those SHMF members have most likely found other problems with these reissues but I've not read all the threads concerning them as I have five of the titles on very good condition vinyl so I have no plans to "upgrade".

If it's OK to link to another forum, post #6 here has a track by track breakdown of the suspected mixes & sources used for these new reissues:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...ssions.341207/
    Last edited by nsmith1002; 02-06-2014 at 09:48 AM.

thanks for that link. I'll check it out. meanwhile, I put this box on my amazon wishlist. http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Origin...eatles+box+set

I believe the 2014 remasters have new LED backup lights and a backup camera, and improved cabin air-conditioning. However the power train, body trim and specs are unchanged from last year's model. If I were you, I'd wait for the 2015 remasters which are rumored to include heated seats, a sunroof and improved electronics in the dash.

Good sound advice there, RC. I'm going with the '09 box, even if the frills are fewer

Banned
    If you have the British albums, is there any point to buying the American version? I did hear that the American version of Rubber Soul is more of a folk album.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    If you have the British albums, is there any point to buying the American version? I did hear that the American version of Rubber Soul is more of a folk album.
    It definitely has a mellower vibe. A lot of that comes from ditching "Drive My Car" and opening the album with "I've Just Seen a Face" instead--that sets quite a different mood. But if you already have the British albums, you can simply burn a copy of the US track sequence yourself. You wouldn't get the trivial mixing/editing details that are different between the two versions, but as nsmith1002's link shows, even the new releases don't retain many of those differences.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I think that it depends on the albums you grew up with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I think that it depends on the albums you grew up with.
    I didn't hear any Beatles CDs until a few years ago when I started getting the original CDs. I now have all of the 2009 remasters.

There you go.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    There you go.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith1002 View Post
    Over at the Steve Hoffman Music Forums (where it's an ongoing joke that every thread eventually ends up having The Beatles mentioned) indications are that the stereo mixes for Help! and Rubber Soul on these new issues are in fact the 1987 remixes and not the original USA Capitol Records mixes. If that's the case then it can be seen as a big screw-up on Apple's part as one would think the intention of these reissues is that they would replicate the albums that American Beatles fans fondly remember from the 1960's. Those SHMF members have most likely found other problems with these reissues but I've not read all the threads concerning them as I have five of the titles on very good condition vinyl so I have no plans to "upgrade".

If it's OK to link to another forum, post #6 here has a track by track breakdown of the suspected mixes & sources used for these new reissues:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...ssions.341207/
    This can't be true for Yesterday and Today(Capitol) and the USA Movie Soundtrack of A Hard Day's Night(United Artists),because they were never released in 1987.

These 2 have not been heard on cd until 2014. 48 and 50 years later. Hey Jude has also been released but I see absolutely no reason to get that. I do however plan to purchase YaT and AHD'sN.

The US versions, I think, only have a few actual different versions of songs on there- it was the mixes that were different. I've never owned any of them but that's what I gather. When things like 'Rubber Soul' was 'like a folk album' are said, what is meant was the tracks chosen for the US version. (Though I fail to see how 'Think For Yourself' and 'The Word' fit that!)

I have no nostalgia for the US versions because I was some twenty odd years from being born when they were released! But at least there is now a choice, unlike the chaotic Rolling Stones catalogue...where if you're into the band, you have to buy all those slapped together US versions to get the songs. They could have put out the first two UK albums, the UK 'Out Of Our Heads' and an 'odds and sods' release for all the US-only songs and EP tracks. Instead they spread all that early, pre-'Aftermath' material out over about 6 albums. And there's also 'Flowers' which has some rare songs from 1967.

Growing up in southern NJ, I listened to my older sister's Beatles albums probably more than she did. being in NJ, of course they were the US versions. how soon I can buy the '09 box depends on how accurately I processed our taxes.

The Beatles had nothing to do with how Capitol "butchered" their albums just to sell more units. They chopped them up into more releases with less songs. And, they did those terrible "stereo" mixes. There were actually NINE albums released in the US during '64-'65 alone! Granted, a couple of those were not albums proper, like "The Beatles Story," for example.

I, too, grew up with the US releases, but think it's nonsense to bother releasing them in that form. Once I got the UK versions, I heard how THEY wanted to present their music, and I never looked back. Nostalgia aside, it's, essentially, a misrepresentation of their work, and they're basically taking advantage of the US market, once again.

Buy the proper UK versions (mono, if you want the better ones, IMO) and make your own Capitol versions. Aside from a couple of different mixes (which you can find, if you look hard enough), you'll still be able to relive it all.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

^ So you're saying that there's a difference in sound between the songs on Beatles For Sale (e.g., 'I'm A Loser" "No Reply" etc) and the same songs on Beatles '65 and/or Something New? And that the UK versions have the sound the band wanted, but the US versions are 'doctored' to alter that?

I like the discs that come with the full album in mono & stereo (as long as it's true stereo and not the simulated shit). Are the UK versions like that?
    Last edited by davis; 02-07-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    ^ So you're saying that there's a difference in sound between the songs on Beatles For Sale (e.g., 'I'm A Loser" "No Reply" etc) and the same songs on Beatles '65 and/or Something New? And that the UK versions have the sound the band wanted, but the US versions are 'doctored' to alter that?

I like the discs that come with the full album in mono & stereo (as long as it's true stereo and not the simulated shit). Are the UK versions like that?
    The early UK releases were done in mono. Many of the early Capitol releases took the proper mono recordings and reprocessed them into fake stereo, with all music on one side and all voices on the other. My comment about what the Beatles wanted was about the song selection and order for each of those albums. By chopping them up and redistributing them across more releases, Capitol, essentially, bastardized their work. "Yesterday & Today" was the most egregious example, because it was totally fabricated by Capitol by taking four songs from three other albums and creating an new one that was never intended.

It's almost like removing 4 of the 12 apostles from DaVinci's Last Supper and adding them to a new painting called The Last Brunch.

Now, there were some differences that appeared on Capitol that did not appear on the UK release. One example is the false start at the beginning of "I've Just seen a Face." And the soundtracks, of course, were different, because they included incidental music from the movies and the "James Bond" intro to "Help!, with which The Beatles had no involvement. (I actually was surprised when that non-Beatles intro was added to the Apple Red & Blue sets that came out in '73.)

But, really, it wasn't until "Pepper" that Capitol stopped changing things around.

- Public Restroom Wall

Speaking of American releases has Introducing The Beatles on Vee-Jay ever been re-issued on CD? I don't recall seeing it.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I read somewhere that the remasters of the American albums are simply the 2009 remasters. Is that not true?
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Once I got the UK versions, I heard how THEY wanted to present their music, and I never looked back. Nostalgia aside, it's, essentially, a misrepresentation of their work, and they're basically taking advantage of the US market, once again.

Buy the proper UK versions (mono, if you want the better ones, IMO) and make your own Capitol versions. Aside from a couple of different mixes (which you can find, if you look hard enough), you'll still be able to relive it all.
    Agreed. I never touch any of the 2009 stereo remasters, although they're fine. Once I heard the mono versions (and especially after playing them at a decent volume), I can't listen to the stereo separation. The mono versions are warm and full and it sounds like you're right in the room with the band.
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Speaking of American releases has Introducing The Beatles on Vee-Jay ever been re-issued on CD? I don't recall seeing it.
    Introducing the Beatles is, essentially the "Please Please Me Album."

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
    Agreed. I never touch any of the 2009 stereo remasters, although they're fine. Once I heard the mono versions (and especially after playing them at a decent volume), I can't listen to the stereo separation. The mono versions are warm and full and it sounds like you're right in the room with the band.
    Not only that, when you hear something like "Tomorrow Never Knows," there's so much ambience, that you could swear you're listening to stereo.

Now, that being said, there's nothing wrong with the later stereo albums. It's actually fun to compare the stereo mixes to the mono ones on several of them. It's just the earlier ones that are really bad. I will state that the German stereo MMT is one of the best-sounding albums I've ever heard from any band. I cannot imagine improving on it.

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The early UK releases were done in mono. Many of the early Capitol releases took the proper mono recordings and reprocessed them into fake stereo, with all music on one side and all voices on the other.
    Nitpick: that instrumental-vocal split is not Capitol's fault; that's just how the "real" stereo versions were mixed in both the UK and US releases. It wouldn't even have been possible for Capitol to do that with a mono source tape. The Capitol fake stereo came about when they took mono originals and applied their "duophonic" process: splitting the mono signal into two channels, putting them out of phase, and boosting the highs on one side and the lows on the other. None of the Duophonic mixes are retained on the new CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow Bill View Post
    I read somewhere that the remasters of the American albums are simply the 2009 remasters. Is that not true?
    Largely, but not entirely. Some tracks do use the unique American mixes. See the link in post #3 for details.

This 'stereo vs mono' issue sparked my memory of hearing that music coming out of the one speaker my parents' record player had. I have Something New and Beatles '65 in stereo & mono, so I need to listen to the stereo versions and see if it's simulated.

I noticed that Let It Be and Abbey Road are absent from the Mono box. They can't be mixed to mono?

Investigating the UK and US releases (2009), it looks to me like I might spend less money buying the CDs individually. Anybody here done that?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I noticed that Let It Be and Abbey Road are absent from the Mono box. They can't be mixed to mono?
    Sure, but what would be the point? They wouldn't be authentic '60s mixes like all the others. Why, in a set devoted to presenting the earlier albums in the way the Beatles originally intended them to be heard, would you add those two albums in a way the Beatles never intended them to be heard?