Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: MIA members... Hunnibee

Completely agree with Adrian.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This might be worth mentioning, or might not -

In that "pretentious posters" thread (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-posters/page7) I inadvertently took Wallace's measure: He was talking about Mastermen, as he seems to enjoy doing. And I opined that the real Mastermen here were not the fans with big collections, but the active artists, the guys who've been writing and playing and putting out albums for years. I named a few of them - all "avant" guys, as it happened.

He didn't know who they were.

So I guess his "Masterman" status starts and stops at symph.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post

In that "pretentious posters" thread (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-posters/page7) I inadvertently took Wallace's measure: He was talking about Mastermen, as he seems to enjoy doing. And I opined that the real Mastermen here were not the fans with big collections, but the active artists, the guys who've been writing and playing and putting out albums for years. I named a few of them - all "avant" guys, as it happened.

So I guess his "Masterman" status starts and stops at symph.
    So in his case, Masterman is just a synonym for symph weenie?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    So in his case, Masterman is just a synonym for symph weenie?
    I was thinking "asshole," but YMMV.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well that's something that irritates me, that I see in some threads from a minority of people- the idea that RIO/Avant is music of a 'higher plane' that the 'symph' loving masses (relatively speaking!) are too stupid to understand. A few times, I've had to restrain myself from posting against that attitude.

There are shades of grey. For instance I'm a Genesis die-hard, pretty much, but I've also been a long-time fan of Zappa, Beefheart, all the Canterbury bands, that have a foot in that more Avant Garde camp.

The fact that you like music that I don't doesn't make you any better than me.

And vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I was thinking "asshole," but YMMV.
    This thread sure has taken a turn. And I'm not complaining, with comments like these, keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well that's something that irritates me, that I see in some threads from a minority of people- the idea that RIO/Avant is music of a 'higher plane' that the 'symph' loving masses (relatively speaking!) are too stupid to understand. A few times, I've had to restrain myself from posting against that attitude.

There are shades of grey. For instance I'm a Genesis die-hard, pretty much, but I've also been a long-time fan of Zappa, Beefheart, all the Canterbury bands, that have a foot in that more Avant Garde camp.
    Yeah, there's an air of elitism and superiority occasionally that I try to ignore. I mean, I love the big name symph bands but I also love obscure stuff and Zappa and fusion and metal and classical... but I don't need to inform someone of that simply because they are trying to appear more refined with their tastes. Certainly there are stuffy opinions presented, but those don't ruin the experience for me - those are a part of life outside a music forum too.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Actually I think PE has gotten less elitist over the past few years. It used to be if you started a thread in OT about an act whose music was decidedly "three chord" there would be a parade of the usual suspects ranting about how they hated this type of music. A few months ago there was a Jack White thread that had nary a negative comment. That's progress. Hell, even a thread about Supertramp or ELO would have dissenters picking up torches and pitchforks, screaming "that's not prog". Not so much anymore.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^I agree, I like the 'broad church' feel here...there was some interesting discussion going on amongst a few of us last week about, of all things, 'hair metal' bands. The elitists are very much in a minority, absolutely.

with these made up names its real tough to know whos who.

^I agree, I like the 'broad church' feel here...there was some interesting discussion going on amongst a few of us last week about, of all things, 'hair metal' bands. The elitists are very much in a minority, absolutely.
    Agreed!

I'm still here for many of the reasons stated by others already, but over the last 12 months, I would estimate that prog accounted for 30% of my cd buying, while jazz, doowop, superbly written pop and obscure classic rock accounted for the other 70%.

I hadn't thought about that at all until just now reading the recent posts here.

No profundity intended, just sayin".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Back to the title, why does this group have such an attitude about Billy Sherwood
    Last edited by Firth; 03-04-2014 at 06:39 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Because he's asking for it
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I know you guys are just joking, but...

Billy's a great guy if you spend some time with him. He's making a living in music which is saying something for the most part now-a-days. He's a great family man as well. Between him, his brother Michael and their parents, along with Jimmy Haun, there's some really interesting show-bizz stories there.

I have to thank Billy for carrying on the YES-flame for a while when not much was going on in any of the YES-camps and most importantly, keeping Tony Kaye out of touring retirement. If it wasn't for Billy I wouldn't have got to spend some extended time with Tony (my favorite YES-man) and some hilarious time with Bobby Kimball.

Nobody seems to agree with what most folks do or act like for the most part. I'm not the networking type guy but you can't blame a guy for some self-promotion.;-)

My wife was flipping channels me thinks during the Rosebowl parade and there was Billy, Scott, Tony, whoever the newest bass player for Circa: is along with Bill Shatner performing. Funny and cool at the same time, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post

Wallace doesn't know, or care, about current stuff. Doesn't mean you "got over" on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Wallace doesn't know, or care, about current stuff. Doesn't mean you "got over" on him.
    Two of the the people I mentioned - Mike Johnson and Dave Kerman - have been releasing albums since the early Eighties. That scarcely qualifies as "current". Besides, if someone's going to constantly brag about his comprehensive knowledge, it needs to be, well, comprehensive. Which, perforce, includes subgenres he might have limited interest in, and the present as well as the past. And neither Mike nor Dave are particularly obscure figures - both have respectably-sized catalogs as leaders and players, and have played multiple festivals with different bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The fact that you like music that I don't doesn't make you any better than me.
    Sure it does.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Actually I think PE has gotten less elitist over the past few years. It used to be if you started a thread in OT about an act whose music was decidedly "three chord" there would be a parade of the usual suspects ranting about how they hated this type of music. A few months ago there was a Jack White thread that had nary a negative comment. That's progress. Hell, even a thread about Supertramp or ELO would have dissenters picking up torches and pitchforks, screaming "that's not prog". Not so much anymore.
    Rude is rude. When you consider the average prog fan's condescension regarding pop and other forms of commercial music (and culture), it's difficult to feel much sympathy for your typical symph/neo fan that feels that an "avant/RIO" fan is making them feel like their taste in music is inferior.

That said, I've always felt like the bigger "snob" barrier within PE is not RIO vs. Neo, it's 70s vs. everything else.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Rude is rude. When you consider the average prog fan's condescension regarding pop and other forms of commercial music (and culture), it's difficult to feel much sympathy for your typical symph/neo fan that feels that an "avant/RIO" fan is making them feel like their taste in music is inferior.
    Word.
    That said, I've always felt like the bigger "snob" barrier within PE is not RIO vs. Neo, it's 70s vs. everything else.
    Word once more.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Well, I'm solidly stuck in the 70's, and I honestly can't think of a worse "offender" than moi, but I'm no snob

I don't shit in Echolyn threads, we like what we like

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 03-04-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

It is now, but as mentioned, it used to be worse.

Oh yeah, it works both ways, without a doubt- the very, very small amount of trolls are actually more of that ilk you're talking about, diving into threads to display their ignorance on certain genres that aren't 'prawg' or 'rawk' enough.

But on a Henry Cow thread recently, for example, some were implying that the non-believers were all Genesis fans that were too stupid to understand their brilliance. Tongue in cheek or not, that left a sour taste for me, simply because in my case it isn't true. I don't really get them but I'm not a hidebound (to borrow an overused phrase) 'symph weenie' either.

As for the 'condescension regarding pop'? I grew out of that years ago. One of my favourite acts of that era is the Carpenters, for goodness' sake! I've certainly seen that sort of stuff amongst prog fans, but not as much as I did. You can start a thread on most forms of music here and get a respectful response now. Which is great.

You can start a thread on most forms of music here and get a respectful response now. Which is great.
    Agreed. This is how it should be.