Thread: Too late for my 2013 Top 10- Opium Cartel's Ardor

Too late for my 2013 Top 10- Opium Cartel's Ardor

Unfortunately, I've already submitted my Top 10's for last year and I can't include this gem I've just picked up... The Opium Cartel's latest- Ardor. I'm surprised that I haven't seen many mentions of this title. I would describe it as, "Start with the first Opium Cartel cd and add a bit more energy and maybe a little more White Willow feel." I like every song but my early favorite is White Wolf; excellent. And singer Alexander Stenerud is a keeper, I hope he's on the next album.

Anyone else enjoying this release?

Yup, one of many highlights of last year. But I don't hear as much White Willow in this second effort compared to the first. I hear a much more distinct 80s influence which was apparently a conscious choice of Jacob. He might chime in on this thread if he sees it.

It's in my car CD player right now, I've heard all but the final track (previous track was a B.O.C. cover). It's pleasant enough first time through, but I'm sure it will take a few listens to sink in.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Great album-White Wolf did seem like the stand out track.

Happy to see this get some discussion here - this seemed to have more of an impact outside the prog scene than within, which I guess is somewhat understandable. Chris is right that the album tips its hat to the more tasteful (imo) aspects of 80s music.

J.

I haven't gotten around to uploading too many tracks of the album on youtube, but I put this up yesterday. One of the more purely pop tracks, but with some powerful drumming from Mattias on the refrains.

BTW, the whole album is up for just 1 week on Progstreaming now, for those who want to sample it.

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/index.php

That's a great cover. By that I mean that it really catches the eye, and is both attractive and somewhat disturbing at the same time. One thing it isn't is boring. There is lots of great music out there, and lots of mediocre music too. But, mediocre album art is epidemic. I enjoyed the music too.

Jacob, as I think I told you on Facebook, this album surprised me. The 80's were not a time I remember fondly, musically speaking. Of course, I didn't really seek out "the best" of that type of sound back then. Ardor certainly is the best of what I remember about it, and I find myself enjoying the album more and more. So kudos for "tricking" me into broadening my listening horizons